ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chase Racing Clio Build Blog (TinTops Entry)

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Lol reading through that last bit, I thought you were away to come away with what Lancia done in the 80's for brake cooling.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...1TukQUBgGl6SYK60raNXDOE6nrM4R6qu8D4DoYJTcGzUA

P.S Your front disks are on the wrong side if you didn't know.

Where did you get that impression?? Many of the theories behind disc patterns and direction are very much theories and not always backed up by much science at all. One thing that is clear is that the inner vanes are more important to cooling. AP racing have a bit of a fitting guide on their website which denotes that the grooves should sit in the orientation we have gone with. http://www.apracing.com/Info.aspx?InfoID=75&ProductID=30

We'll stick with what these experts say for now until we hear a bit more science behind an opinion.... That's not a dig at you, but I'm just not a fan of people saying something as gospel when they have nothing to back it up.

On the related note on brake cooling... (this is more a question for anyone who is close to the rules of any race series). If we were to place a naca duct on either the bonnet or wing in order to make a routing which comes down the turret, would that contravene any rule? By my reckoning, this doesn't change the "overall silhouette" of the vehicle, so I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Cup In bits
Well tbh they aren't AP disks with directional vanes in which case the grooved outer vanes should be the other direction from what you have. Its the exact same theory as what AP have on that link where the internal grooves go with the direction of rotation, you would think its the other way so the disks could suck in air like an impeller would fluid.

Having them the way you have has a higher chance of trapping gases under the pad, not so key on your disks due to the grooves covering more than the pads swept area, if it stops shy of swept area the pad creates a chamber underneath it with no escape for said gases, is that theory enough?

About your naca duct, its going to be very much series specific. You have done/do the tintops that don't even allow a roof vent so I can't see them being so keen on one. Burp, James and Pete have said the series rules are very brief and only a couple of sentences long and follow certain blue book appendixes. It depends what your fellow competitors deem as fair and 'YOUR' understanding of the rules and how you use/bend them. From what I can gather, same silhouette and list 1b tyres seems to be the only things to worry about in the tintops.

3 series estate
Doesn't that theory rely on the gases given off having a higer density than the air which would replace it? I can certainly imagine that groves going the way you suggest would fling dust clear of the disks.

Cup In bits
Don't shoot the messanger, I'm only going by what I have read, I have never done any real world tests being your average joe. There are gases created during braking which grooves help to disperse, if the grooves are the wrong direction then its counter preductive. I couldn't tell you if the gases that are made have a higher density than'air', all I know is the gases create a film like sheet between the braking surfaces which you want rid of the best you can. After all you guys are club racer's and not trying to redisgn the wheel, all I said was the disks were the wrong direction which I think you have just agreed with.

3 series estate
Sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. We talked about it for a bit and didn't come up with a conclusive answer. We had them the other way round for a while and have just put them this way now. The GT team that Ryan used to work for put them the way round that we have them but couldn't tell him why at the time. I haven't heard a convincing argument for having them either way around. I might ask one of the brakes people at work this week.

Cup In bits
No worries, I didn't take offence. I thought it was maybe an oversite with all the work going on but you are trying something because you have seen it done by the professionals.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
We've not been particularly good at keeping the blog up to date recently, but we have been busy!!

Here's a little video from our time at Cadwell last week:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, we haven't got quite enough power to pull that off I think. Perhaps have a go the next time we go back...

Worth a try - may find it a bit easier and won't need to change up soon after the crest or have the need to hold the revs too high for long...Sam and I manged ok in the Cup even when it was standard. It's a narrow set of corners\track and if you could mange it in third it's a lot less to do, even when fighting for position\defending (not that had a race there yet).

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Cadwell Park - April '13

After a few weeks of fiddling with the car, we managed to arrange a little day trip to Cadwell Park for a trackday. This time round, it was just the 3 of us along with Dave’s Dad, Reg. The 2 previous times Reg had been in the car, something had broken, so he had apprehensions that he may be a jinx. Fortunately, this time, the bad luck would come to an end…. As you can see, we are also sporting part of our new livery, along with our “coorporate brand identity”.

IMG_8451_zps95896e63.gif

We arrived on time and got all set up in the paddock area. Briefing over, we checked over the car and went our for a few sighting laps. Our initial impressions of the track were very good, some nice twisty sections accompanied with a few faster sweeping bends. The car ran nice and reliably through the morning and we started to really get used to the setup of the car and the layout of the track. The chassis changes we’ve made were really starting to show. The understeer we previously saw a lot of had been dialled out and the response of the front was really positive.

IMG_8416_zps6ad17078.gif

The morning went by pretty quickly and it was soon lunchtime. We noticed just before lunch that our passenger side driveshaft boot was spitting gear oil out, so our lunch break would be taken up with fitting a new clip on the boot to ensure no more leakage. We also decided to pull the old Toyos off and stick on the Dunlops we’d acquired from Tony @ Burpspeed. We didn’t expect brand new levels of grip, but we were certainly expecting an improvement over the Toyos that had done a few trackdays now.

IMG_8418_zps6de63a11.gif

[h=1]Cadwell Park – April ’13[/h]Posted on April 18th, 2013
After a few weeks of fiddling with the car, we managed to arrange a little day trip to Cadwell Park for a trackday. This time round, it was just the 3 of us along with Dave’s Dad, Reg. The 2 previous times Reg had been in the car, something had broken, so he had apprehensions that he may be a jinx. Fortunately, this time, the bad luck would come to an end…. As you can see, we are also sporting part of our new livery, along with our “coorporate brand identity”.
114__800x600_img_8451.jpg

We arrived on time and got all set up in the paddock area. Briefing over, we checked over the car and went our for a few sighting laps. Our initial impressions of the track were very good, some nice twisty sections accompanied with a few faster sweeping bends. The car ran nice and reliably through the morning and we started to really get used to the setup of the car and the layout of the track. The chassis changes we’ve made were really starting to show. The understeer we previously saw a lot of had been dialled out and the response of the front was really positive.
112__800x600_img_8416.jpg

The morning went by pretty quickly and it was soon lunchtime. We noticed just before lunch that our passenger side driveshaft boot was spitting gear oil out, so our lunch break would be taken up with fitting a new clip on the boot to ensure no more leakage. We also decided to pull the old Toyos off and stick on the Dunlops we’d acquired from Tony @ Burpspeed. We didn’t expect brand new levels of grip, but we were certainly expecting an improvement over the Toyos that had done a few trackdays now.
113__800x600_img_8418.jpg

After a couple of laps getting them up to temperature, the car was starting to feel more balanced. The rear wasn’t sliding around as much and the initial turn in was a little more responsive again. We were starting to really get to grips with the track as well, the right-left-right-left-right section after the mountain catching Ryan out on one occasion, the only spin of the day though. We even managed to go through the first left hander, Coppice, flat out, which we wouldn’t have been able to do with the previous setup!

IMG_8465_zpsa2eb5ebf.gif

The afternoon session ran pretty well, the track started to clear up a little as a few people started to leave and we managed to get a few clear runs in. We even managed to get Reg in the car for quite a few runs and the car didn’t break! The jinx had definitely been lifted. All in all, a really good day. We’re happy the balance of the car is near where we want it to be and we’ll be looking forward to giving the car a good run at the TinTops Brands Hatch race in a few weeks time.
IMG_8481_zpsb5bef428.gif

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Micro update:

We are counting down the hours now until our first race of the season at Brands Hatch.... All the minor issues found at Cadwell have been sorted and the car has been fully prepped and checked over. The lovely decals from n2grafix are on the car too, so we certainly look the part! Packing up tomorrow, we even have a nice new Range Rover Sport we've borrowed from our work to get us there!

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Hi guys,good to see you out at Brands.
Do you have any footage of the race? I pressed the wrong button on my camera and only took a photo of assembly.
Cheers No 106

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Hi guys,good to see you out at Brands.
Do you have any footage of the race? I pressed the wrong button on my camera and only took a photo of assembly.
Cheers No 106

I've just finished compiling it all now... check out the next post.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Brands Hatch 6th May 2013 - Race Report

Rob:

Having previously had quite a good outing at Cadwell Park with almost no catastrophic failures, we felt confident that we were in good shape for the race at Brands Hatch. In the leading weeks, we’ve had our newest gearbox rebuilt, a few structural repairs, got some new tyres and stuck some stickers on courtesy of Ady at n2grafix. (Point of note, Dave actually stuck the stickers on and went home leaving me to do all the important things).

BrandsDoublePic1_zps3b8e0384.jpg

We made it to the track in pretty good time and set about wiring up the data logger which Ryan had set up over the weekend, then went out for qualifying. Previously, being the smallest of the three of us it was assumed that I would always drive second as it's much faster to tighten up the seatbelts. However, I've glued together some camping roll mats into a rudimentary booster seat so I can see where I'm going and reach all the controls much better now. Unfortunately that means that I have far fewer excuses.

I went out first and was pretty happy with the car once the tyres had warmed up a bit, the front end is still quite positive but the lack of traction out of corners was much more evident than at Cadwell. Clearways (the last right hander) was especially tricky to get right. After about 9 laps, I came in swapped with Dave. It was actually quite a relief as I was suffering from some of the most acute crotch pain since I was mean to Elizabeth Riggs in primary school. We were using slightly higher profile tyres than before and happily the car felt very similar to drive and our cold pressure estimates were pretty good. We dropped the fronts by 2psi for the race which turned out to be spot on. Dave managed a 58.1 second lap which put us in 18th place which we were really happy with.

We had quite a while to wait until the next race but luckily the filler neck had sprung a leak which kept us occupied. We added a couple of clicks to the rear dampers to try and make the back end a bit more mobile through druids.

Soon enough it was time to line up in the assembly area, Dave gave me a rousing pep talk and after a thorough “arranging” I strapped myself in. This was the first time I'd started a race and we'd come up with a guess of “Hold it at 4000 and try and feed the clutch in”. I did my best to warm up the tyres on the green flag lap but once I dropped the clutch I didn't seem to go anywhere. The wheels spun quite a bit and it was quite frustrating waiting for them to stop as cars overtook on either side. Eventually it hooked up and I set off.

BrandsDoublePic3_zps1553b8c9.jpg

It was quite busy for the first couple of laps but it soon settled down. I gradually started braking later and harder for Paddock hill bend which eventually had me spinning into the gravel. I managed to re-join the race several places down and cautiously set off after the cars in front. By the time I'd made it back to Brabham straight I was confident the car hadn't suffered any damage and I'd better get on with it.

This time I spun infield which was particularly tricky to recover from. After that I decided the best policy was to use the brakes gingerly and make sure I hand it over to Dave in one piece. There'd certainly be a tantrum otherwise. I managed to keep it on the track for the remaining laps and came into the pits on lap 19. The driver change went well but the starter failed to engage. The bump start lost us a bit more time but by this point I'd decided that it's the taking part that counts.

BrandsDoublePic4_zps61f6dadf.jpg

Dave:

The days leading up to the event involved a bit of last minute preparation. Rob claims he was left doing the important jobs… but that’s always open for interpretation. We had managed to borrow a nice tow vehicle from work, so the journey down was quite a pleasant one and we arrived at the track at a reasonable time.

Qualifying ran pretty smoothly and the car was behaving well. The need for a diff was quite apparent coming out of clearways, but we still had some good pace in the car. Qualifying 18[SUP]th[/SUP] with a low 58 was pretty much where we expected the car to be, so we were happy with that. The afternoon was soon upon us and time was soon taken up with fixing the fuel leak we’d developed. We then had a bit of time to get some driver change practice in.

BrandsDoublePic2_zpsa455dbe6.jpg

The race was soon upon us and I found myself particularly calm considering it was my first time. I became a little tense when I saw that Rob had been building sandcastles, worrying that I wouldn’t get any seat time in the car. Fortunately, Rob managed to keep his head and the car came back in without any damage. After taking over from Rob and the hasty bump start, I was excited to get on with it. We had made those small changes with the front pressures and with the rear damper, so the first few laps were a case of just settling in. I soon got comfortable with the car and started pushing on.

The lap times started coming down and I found myself catching a few different cars. It got even more exciting when I managed to make a few nice overtakes, albeit to just un-lap myself. I had said just prior to getting in the car that my only aim was to get in to the 57s and so I was pretty happy when a 57.7 was achieved! We managed to bring the car home 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] out of 26 finishers and 29 starters… not too bad considering how much time we had lost early on.

The car had shown good pace and the only thing to fix was the starter motor, so all in all a pretty successful day. Rob, Ryan and I would like to thank all of those who have helped out in one way or another; Paul and Nick providing some great track side support as ever, Ady for all the graphics seen on the car and all the family and friends that came along to watch.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Well done chaps. Sounds like a great day. When is the next one so I can come along and watch?

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Well done chaps. Sounds like a great day. When is the next one so I can come along and watch?

The current plan is to do the Castle Combe race in July, June is a tricky month for all of us..

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Mmm, not good that locking up under braking, esp at Paddock!!

Yehh, the bias was probably a teeny bit rearward, but that's easy to fix. Rob was pretty lucky to miss barriers and get the car going again!

P.s I've done one of your wishbones, should have the other one finished in the next few days. What do you wanna do about painting them? I can slap some red oxide primer on if you like...

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
June '13 Update

Despite saying to myself that I would endeavour to do more, smaller updates, another month has passed and we have a number of activities to talk about.

During the driver change of the Brands Hatch race we couldn't get the car going, so we had to bump start it.... Our assumption being that we'd fried the starter motor! After our post race check of the car, we found that the starter itself had actually separated from the flywheel housing and was just spinning away, not cranking the engine over at all. This was a relief, but obviously meant that we hadn't made sure it was attached properly in the first place. Another line item for the check list.

Another issue we encountered between qualifying and the race was that our fuel filler neck wasn't exactly fuel tight. We managed to use some random bit of pipe to fix it at the track, but this wasn't really a permanent solution. So, a new filler neck assembly was ordered and we've simply replaced the whole section. Problem number 2 fixed!

Next up, we decided we needed to improve the quality of the data we have been collecting. The logger has the capability to process quite a few different channels, so we've decided to try and utilise them. First up, we've picked up off the brake pedal switch and can now log when the pedal is being pressed or not. We would like brake pressure of course, but that would cost us a small fortune, the installation of 1 wire enables the simple brake switch input. Then, we've also patched a wire in to the throttle pedal so we can see throttle position. The combination of the two means we can now assess how much time we take going from one pedal to the other.

Looking at the data from Brands it was clear that we weren't quite maximising the performance of the engine as we weren't consistently getting near to the limiter. So, alongside the additional data, we've figured out how to configure our dash display and it will now give us a series of shift lights! So, watch out in the next video for lots of red flashing lights on the steering wheel.

We've been asking ourselves how do we get more time out of the car without spending much money...... and we've come with a fool proof way of achieving this: make the car look faster!! So, Rob got out a few rattle cans and painted some bits up in our infamous green. We estimate this should improve our lap times by at least 4 tenths.

DoublePic-Graphics_zps749f1ce1.jpg

Finally, in the interests of making ourselves look more professional, we've had a couple of polo shirts made up with our logo on them. No crawling under the car with these on though!

IMAG0345crop_zpsb97b4ba9.jpg

Next outing for us is a trackday on July 2nd down at Castle Combe, readying ourselves for the TinTops race 11 days after that on July 13th.

Good update. There's no way I'll be able to keep up with your new mods ;)

I was planning to do Combe but have a load of work I need to do and have been thinking I might skip it. But I don't really want to miss it as it is nice and local for me so hopefully see you there.

I'm also planning Donnington and Oulton. I saw the Pembrey regs came out today and you get 2 40 minute races for the price of one, shame I am away :(

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
We're trying to keep the mods down for a while now and just get some seat time. We'll be at Donington and then hopefully Oulton too, but we saw that Pembrey thing and are a bit tempted!

LY FF182
Just read this start to finish and it took a while!! Car looks awesome and I love the roll centre mod! Credit to you for not just following the crowds with bolt on bits! I have a fairly good understanding of suspension geometry but roll centres and calculations is far above my head.. Is there anywhere you'd recommend to read up on stuff like that?? Please don't say university! Haha

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully I'll get to one of the races to see all the clios!!

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Just read this start to finish and it took a while!! Car looks awesome and I love the roll centre mod! Credit to you for not just following the crowds with bolt on bits! I have a fairly good understanding of suspension geometry but roll centres and calculations is far above my head.. Is there anywhere you'd recommend to read up on stuff like that?? Please don't say university! Haha

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully I'll get to one of the races to see all the clios!!

...University! No, not really, just google it. There's plenty of online resources that go in to varying depths around the topic.

And thanks for the interest, hopefully see you at a race some time.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Or come to Mallory with Track Attack, then they could do a race each. Bit closer to home as well.;)

Not a bad idea... it's considerably closer to home that's for sure. I'd probably be able to make it along too if it's the saturday.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I've not done a race report yet... but here's the whole race video edit. Unfortunately we were forced in to retirement on lap 17 when the engine let go! Bit of a shame really, we were on for a decent finish!