ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chirping noise from engine bay

Well if the bearing isn't too expensive then it's worth a shot, at least you'll know it's got a new release bearing! Just make sure you have someone you can call if you need help.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Have you considered letting it get worse to see if it becomes more obvious as to where its coming from? if it is the thrust bearing, then it wont hurt to be left a little longer. Mine went through a process of first squeaking like a bunch of baby birds and then to a constant chatter without a squeak.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Have you considered letting it get worse to see if it becomes more obvious as to where its coming from? if it is the thrust bearing, then it wont hurt to be left a little longer. Mine went through a process of first squeaking like a bunch of baby birds and then to a constant chatter without a squeak.
I will be honest, I don't know the differences, if any between thrust/release/shaft bearings. Care to explain?

I just presumed that a new clutch kit would solve the issue.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Clutch release / Thrust bearing are the same thing (the bearing that pushes on the clutch springs by force from a metal fork), input shaft bearings is (1) part of the crankshaft and is a big job to replace iirc, and (2)at the other end inside the gearbox (but if that had gone you would probably be leaking gearbox oil I would have thought).

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Clutch release / Thrust bearing are the same thing (the bearing that pushes on the clutch springs by force from a metal fork), input shaft bearings is (1) part of the crankshaft and is a big job to replace iirc, and (2)at the other end inside the gearbox (but if that had gone you would probably be leaking gearbox oil I would have thought).
Thank you, appreciate the info.

How can I tell which one it is though?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
The Clio is home, new clutch fitted.

However, the noise is still there!

When I removed the release bearing it was noisy and grating. New clutch kit hasn't solved the issue.
I have had a mechanic friend come and listen to it this evening, he lay under the car with the engine running and squeaking away. His first suggestion was that the noise is coming from the sump and recon sit could be oil pump related!

Anyone care to suggest what else it could be? No drivability issue, just noise. Video earlier in thread.

Cheers, Dave.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
clutch release bearing.

I'd listen to Dan, he knows his stuff.

Quoted to try and get your attention.

I have fitted a new clutch kit and this hasn't solved the issue. A friend has had a listen to the noise and he thinks its coming from the sump. Suggested maybe a blocked oil breather stressing the oil pump. Does this sound plausible and how would I tell?

Cheers guys.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Sorry mate hadn't seen it.

Does the noise disappear when the clutch is pressed?
Hello mate, thanks!

I cannot change the noise with my controls. When I start the car all is well, once ive driven for a mile or two and then sit at idle I notice the noise. Since my friend had a listen and pointed out that he thinks its the sump area, I actually agree that it does sound like its in that area.

Cheers

Dave

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Sump off time then. The release bearing was part of the issue however from how rough it was when you changed it.
Oh yes, The bearing definitely was rough. Not the noise im getting but that'd probably be only a matter of time.

SO, If I remove the sump what would I be looking for? Obviously the oil pump wont be turning so how will I know?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Update! The noise is away.

Today I discovered that I had a blocked breather. I need to either get a new breather filter or an oil catch tank.

I had been advised that the noise my car was making was a noisy clutch release bearing. I replaced my clutch kit which obviously did not solve the issue.

The blocked breather was straining the oil pump which in turn chirped away to itself.

I am disappointed that I had been given the wrong advice but hey, I am glad to be able to ask for advice and It was my choice to listen.

I now have a new clutch!

Any recommendations on a new breather filter or oil catch tank???

Cheers
Dave.

Clio 172
Any update on this? Your video shows the exact sound my car is making too did you get this sorted with a replacement breather?