ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's Black 172 Project

Clio 172
clio 172, in black.
74000miles
cam belt and aux belt done recently
Clutch done @ 72k (can't find a receipt though, hmm)

Going in for a service and a check out at Ren-Tech in Portsmouth Friday, find out what needs sorting, sort it and get it mechanically sound.

From my VERY limited knowledge I have a really horrible feeling the dephaser pulley is going to need doing its not massively noisy I don't have anything to compare it to though.

Needs new tyres by the looks of it, possibly new rear discs, get the service light turned off and get some wiring for drivers seat airbag to get the airbag light off. (any help with drivers airbag wiring?)

Its got a couple of key marks, there very light though I actually think a detailer might be able to get them out so i'll give that a go next year sometime, but right now, not bothered tbh.

Has a longlife exhaust which isn't loud at all which is awesome! Induction roar is louder which is cool. Also rear tinted windows.

All in all, 70 mile drive home and i'm quite impressed, interior is actually a really nice place to be and I enjoyed the drive! I need to put my stereo in in the morning though as having no music makes me really sketch out at every little noise in the car! I am a worry wart.

Will give it an awesome wash in the morning
icon_mrgreen.gif
and put up some pictures! Bit of an essay this eh.

Clio 172
Heres some pictures!

Here they are :) Didn't clean it, not liking the looks of the weather :lol:

P1020687.jpg

P1020688.jpg

P1020690.jpg

P1020691.jpg

P1020693.jpg

P1020694.jpg

P1020695.jpg

P1020696.jpg

P1020697.jpg

And onto the bad bits :( Theres one on the boot and roof too, doesn't particularly bother me, some bits can be felt with your nail, I do think they could be polished out probably with wet sanding but i'll need to speak to a pro.

P1020692.jpg

P1020689.jpg

Clio 172
Yeah it does need a splitter! I like the cup ones. Would love a carbon one but tooooo much moneys.

Needs a new dephaser so theres the start of the money going lol sounds like a mount is going/gone too, engine or gearbox I assume as there common? and probably needs another alternator.

hopefully start doing some bits in the new year, just smarten it up with clear indicators front and back, splitter, maybe get the wheels and bullets and badges refurbed anthracite, would love some turini's.

Waiting for the weather so I can give it a good clean!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
The SERV light isnt a service light, it means theres a fault code.

Clio 172
Oooh. Ok, Might be to do with the Airbag then? I think it needs some wiring under the drivers seat, I see a plug that has nothing going into it.

Clio 172
so car went down Ren-tech today and had its cambelt, dephaser and aux belt done. ouch.asked then just to have a quick look over it for me most bits I knew about but the list isneeds new tyresnew rear brake discs and wheel bearings ( come as a kit anyway)no gearbox oil! so they put some in.loose handbraketrackingfront arch trims so nothing hits the aux belt by chance there £50 each though so will find second hand.rear springs rusty £160 for two new ones.. or a full set of lowering for a £100 :)rear height sensor broken but doesn't really matter and I'm not paying £176 to fix it lolso a few bits. new tyres will be in order next payday and then I'll start with the rest as and when.needs a quick service as well soonish.

Decent base for a nice project you've got.

Sounds like a lot to do but it will all come together.

Eibach sportlines, new tyres and contact G172 for rear brakes like you say the bearings are pushed in, then go from there.

Clio 172
yeah new tyres soon! I had my eye on transports or there was another, can't remember for some reason.

are the brakes a DIY job? I was fine doing most things with the fiesta not so sure on these lol

Yeah If you're confident with some tools its not a hard job, there should be a guide in the guides section.

Wetsanding might make those scratches less visible but if they catch your finger it will be a spray job. Wheres the damage? just rear quater drivers side and front bonnet?

Clio 172
yeah there not coming out I don't think :-( I'll keep an eye out in the new year for a 2nd hand bonnet, boot, door. it's on the roof, front quarter and rear as well. fronts I hear are bolt on? so I can get one of those. then it's just spraying the roof and rear quarter.

Clio 172
Haven't had any problems with it recently, no limp mode anymore, battery light and doesn't really come on, popped on after a bit of a drive the other day showing my mate the drive of it, but goes away.

Had some time this morning and the weather was goodish, didn't look like it was going to rain so I washed it, not very happy with the results from the wax, I have had it since my ZS lol so 2 odd years so i'm going to order some Nattys wax and some poorboys black hole when I have some money.

P1020720.jpg

P1020721.jpg

P1020722.jpg

P1020723.jpg

P1020724.jpg

P1020725.jpg

P1020726.jpg

P1020727.jpg

P1020728.jpg

P1020732.jpg

P1020733.jpg

What do you guys prefer? The windows seem to be tinted one side and not the other, I could either get one tinted or peel the other off, I kinda like tinted..

P1020730.jpg

P1020731.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020735.jpg

Plans for this are pretty simple.

4 new tyres
lowering springs
rear discs
6 CD changer
wiring for steering wheel controls
2nd hand bonnet etc (panels with key marks)
Graphite grey badges/bullets (might do them purple first for a laugh)
Refurb the wheels
Service

All in good time :)

350Z
I disagree with regards to the tints, I think on a nicely kept, lowered clio they can look really smart.

Clio 172
Will probably get the otherside tinted eventually then, more important things really at the mo lol

Quick Instagram magic photos.

IMG_20121011_143440.jpg

IMG_20121011_143555.jpg

Clio RS200
Tints on cars that arent black are ok. Dark tints on a black car makes it look like a car derived van at a quick glance. Nice car though lad :)

Clio 172
IMG_20121014_183036.jpg

Yeah boiiiiiii

Only temporary until I bother to do them grey, just did it for a laugh see what it looked like lol

Clio 172
Nothing really! Its look quite good in that picture, but in general its a bit mehhh did the bullets as well and they don't look all that great, I dunno, haven't seen them in the light so not made my mind up yet

Clio 172
Thought i'd have a crack with one of these T-cut scratch pens. Knew it wouldn't work but thought it was worth a try and I have to say has made a noticable improvement! Second coat is even better but I didn't get any pics. I know can't see the scratches unless i'm considerably closer. I think the polish in the scratch didn't help but still.

50/50

20121026_163834.jpg

Rear 1/4 done, door not

20121026_163934.jpg

Exciting stuff.

Losing a litre of gearbox oil every two weeks so need to investigate that soon.

Four new tyres, Continental Sport Contact 3 195/45 R16 on order as well as mine are naffed.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Fitted my four new conti's today, feels better for it already.

Fitted a new battery as it wouldn't start the other morning, needed jumping as it was too cold.

Hoping the battery light goes off with a drive as it started flickering and shizzle today, if not then I need a new alt wire/alternator, fun times

20121107_201004.jpg

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Coming along mate, my parents live in Bournemouth so down there quite a bit. Will keep an eye out for you. :)