ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R on steroids

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Been looking at these for a while and even test drove one about 6 months ago. Been keeping an eye on the tuners but found this picture the other day and thought I'd put it out there as I think it looks awesome. Photoshopped I'm guessing but oozing aggression. Comments welcome:

image.jpeg

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
not an improvement......but I think the original looks erm...'different' enough.
probably drives well though.
I love all the rocket bunny stuff and the RWB Porsches too. Think it's my Dominic Toretto coming out!! I loved the concept but the reality was a bit wet IMO and I think this redresses the balance

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Steroids? More like Aids.

Stick some dumb generic arches on and use generic Jap livery. Yep.
agree with the sh**e jap flag and I understand it's not too everyone's taste but that aggressive stance looks hard as nails.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I was following a normal tyre R the other day. They look like they've been hit with a chav wand from the factory. I mean red strips around the wheels? Come on..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The first one I saw in the flesh was in the queue awaiting to board at Portsmouth ferry terminal. Had a few hours to kill and got chatting to the owner - looked very appealing first hand. As @TomSx says - even I'm not a fan of the red strip and from certain angles, the front skirt right up to the top of the A-pillar just looks like one continuous slope. Aerodynamic it might be. Aesthetically it makes it a bit meh.

The biggest issue I have with the looks however are the standard alloys and their scale. They look puny and so small in the rear arches. The concept shots that @Knuckles posted above just look so much better than the car that was produced. I still like them, but a bit of a missed opportunity to me.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not a fan of the FK2 - the wheels are gash and the back arches just look way out of proportion.
Tegiwa have a CW one on 19" Enkei RPF-01, that looks pretty good, maybe it's just the wheels that ruin it.

Love the old CTR's up until the FN2 where it all started to go wrong, this latest version is just stupid, belongs on a Maccies car park. I'd much rather a Golf R, but if I had £30k to blow it'd be on the new stang 2.3 ecoboost.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Love the old CTR's up until the FN2 where it all started to go wrong, this latest version is just stupid, belongs on a Maccies car park. I'd much rather a Golf R, but if I had £30k to blow it'd be on the new stang 2.3 ecoboost.
Defo. Golf R is tough to beat, subtle looks and rapid! this CTR does look way OTT, a bit like the last Focus RS - just daft, no wonder they all get nicked, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Defo. Golf R is tough to beat, subtle looks and rapid! this CTR does look way OTT, a bit like the last Focus RS - just daft, no wonder they all get nicked, they stick out like a sore thumb.
Defo, don't know why manufacturers feel the need to add crap. As you say the Golf R is perfectly styled. Not to OTT but you know its a flyer with the quad exhausts. I loved the style of my old pre-facelift black EP3 and still miss it....

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Defo, don't know why manufacturers feel the need to add crap. As you say the Golf R is perfectly styled. Not to OTT but you know its a flyer with the quad exhausts. I loved the style of my old pre-facelift black EP3 and still miss it....
Cant bring myself to sell ours - more for the fact that it'll be some scrotey kid who buys it and kills it. Mines not the tidiest but it's had a lot spent on it! Get it back Friday - hopefully minus a lot of the rattles it's developed over the years!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I saw one of these trying to get out of a petrol station onto an unfortunately cambered road a few weeks back, the front splitter was dangerously close to the floor!

They're very uncompromised cars as standard

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I think there is a place for everything. If you want the understated Q car who barely anyone would recognise as a performance car unless into cars you have the Golf R and Seat Leon etc. However if you want to say or in the form of the Civic and Focus RS shout about it you have a choice. In my eyes all are fantastic in their own way but I'd always be swayed by a mk2 focus RS, food packaging interior and all as I just love the way it looks and sounds. The new Civic is in the same vein as the RS but the production version hasn't quite pulled it off like the original concept IMO.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I guess it's okay if your 18, frequent car parks at night and call everyone Bruv and say init a lot.

I'm more than double that age but would still have one. I don't give a flying toss what people would think. I'd rather buy a potent car that I'd probably see elsewhere on the road once a month, rather than a potent car that you see at least twice on the daily commute.

I still slow down to look at the old silver Evo V parked up on the way home. It's not the best, needs a bit of TLC, but its just so desirable. I don't even give the likes of a Golf R a second glance these days - even though I know they are a very capable car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I think they have been a huge flop for Honda. Ive seen two on the road since release and I just wish they had kept the concept version going as I believe that would have been the good aggressive looking car on the road.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
One overtook me the other morning and I did a double take, it's a very bad looking car.
Way too try hard and way too Fast and Furious. Which was 15 years ago.

Teg
So much hate for Honda/JDM... I personally think the FK2 looks epic, even the 18 year EK9 still looks amazing. I'd swap my French tin can without hesitation for anything wearing a type R badge.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look awesome.

Although I also think my 182 looks awesome aswell. Swings and roundabouts.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I think they look awesome.

Although I also think my 182 looks awesome aswell. Swings and roundabouts.
I agree. People like what they like which is why there's people driving round in Allsorts. I appreciate subtle aggression as much as in your face stuff. Would I say the Civic is a good design overall...No I wouldn't as the it looks half finished in places and the wheel size to arch ratio is ridiculous. From certain angles it looks good and combined with the "stanced" enhancement of my opening picture I think it looks really good. Wouldn't swap it for my 172 cup tho and that's worth about 50p, always goes wrong and is made from old shoes boxes.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I really like them. A friend of mine bought one last week. A lot of people get hung up on the looks (it's a bit marmite) but it certainly drives well and goes well!

muzza-ctr_zps6lzajckv.jpg~original

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Looks great! Jap cars are meant to ooze aggression and OTT modifications. It's like a form of motoring rebellion and a middle finger to the rest of the world.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I like the no-f***s idea of the styling, they've created something that doesn't look like anyhing else.

They definitely look a lot better up close, too.

Absolutely balistic, i gave one a go in my Golf. He had the edge.

Renaultsport 200
Friends got one of the new ones, the bonnet, wheel arch vents are all fake, lots of Matt cheap plastic on the interior and the wheels sit about 3 inches into the arch, not for me at all. Doesn't feel that fast either if I'm honest or sound great, 33k aswell and if you spec every option it's well into the 40's!!!!

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I really like them. A friend of mine bought one last week. A lot of people get hung up on the looks (it's a bit marmite) but it certainly drives well and goes well!

muzza-ctr_zps6lzajckv.jpg~original
forget the Type R.....look at that M3!!!!!!!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Are they fake CSL rims or on some spacers,???
But yes they must be one of the best combo's for looks v's standard wheels.