ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CL6 pads or 4 pot upgrade?

M135i, 197 turbo
Unsure which direction to go with my brakes.... I'm currently running CL5+ pads with Brembo HC discs and considering upgrading. The car is primarily for track - from what I've read on here the CL6 eat discs and produce a lot of dust which doesn't bother me, just interested to know which option will give the best stopping power. For reference I'm running 15" wheels so the 4 pots will have to fit under these which as far as I can find gives me the options of modifying some Brembos or getting a wildwood kit. I don't want the hassle particularly of modifying the brembos to fit so I think it's either CL6 or wilwoods with a suitable pad. Anyone have any opinions on these options?
Cheers,
Matt

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have been using RC6 for my last 4 track days and the stopping power is fantastic, Oulton park finished them off.
With the pad material getting thin I think the extra heat melted the rubber piston seal so I need to rebuild the callipers now, the discs are fine but even if they do wear quick that would not bother me anyway as they are so cheap.

M135i, 197 turbo
It was the day llast week at Oulton Park which highlighted I need better brakes, as the car was quick enough but braking was a bit iffy at points. Think I'll give the RC6 ago before shelling out on 4 pots

4 pots will perform better over the day and pads are nearly half the price compared to track pads in the oe set up, but the initial layout is high for 4 pots and discs are also quite expensive compared to oe. If you have the money to buy and maintain and it's a long term project then I'd say go for it. Think the willwoods are around £650 with discs, pads and lines last time I looked. I've got a set of Compbrake 4 pots to fit so will let you know how they feel once fitted.

Clio 172
I will be using rc6 pads on front and rc5+ pads on the rear.

Will be good to see how these perform, and then decide whether to go for the 4 pot upgrade aswell.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I had a set of Compbrake B4 4 pots fitted, I now run standard calipers, goodridge braided lines Brembo HC discs and CL RC6 pads. Stopping power is great, even more so with my R888 tyres fitted!

IMO Clio 1*2 don't need 4 pots, however I do miss the lightness and looks of them though so may fit some Brembo 4 pots eventually :wink:

M135i, 197 turbo
Thanks for the opinions. Pretty much decided on braided hoses, cl6 and some stickier tyres to go with it.

I had a set of Compbrake B4 4 pots fitted, I now run standard calipers, goodridge braided lines Brembo HC discs and CL RC6 pads. Stopping power is great, even more so with my R888 tyres fitted!

IMO Clio 1*2 don't need 4 pots, however I do miss the lightness and looks of them though so may fit some Brembo 4 pots eventually :wink:
Yeah the r888s are just awesome but will eat brakes up much quicker than road tyres, my brakes where holding up on Friday at Oulton with my Pirellis on, then within 20 laps with the 888s on they just disintegrated to the metal. I'm in 2 minds whether to sell my 4 pots and go with something similar to your set up....

dan's cast offs.
good result!! was saying to chris about the throttle body cough when they are poorly.

got a pic of the graph?

M135i, 197 turbo
204 and 172 to be precise, sure it was 177... I blame the beer . Chris said the original map wasn't bad just not tailored to the engine / manifold I'm running which is what I expected. Want some cams fitting next and see what we get then

good result!! was saying to chris about the throttle body cough when they are poorly.

got a pic of the graph?
IMG_1606.JPG

dan's cast offs.
yeah, can do. sorry i didn't natter much, had a manic couple of weeks and was trying to switch off!!

I didnt get on with 4 pots in my 890kg 182, love my rc6s currently although yet to get on track with them yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How come to aggressive?

No modulation on braking, couldn't properly heel toe, yeah just used to grab the disc and not let go, maybe they would of been good with slicks haha. (using direzzas) but yeah no doubt they're great for a clio with a bit more weight or a 300bhp plus carrying a LOT more speed into a corner.

No modulation on braking, couldn't properly heel toe, yeah just used to grab the disc and not let go, maybe they would of been good with slicks haha. (using direzzas) but yeah no doubt they're great for a clio with a bit more weight or a 300bhp plus carrying a LOT more speed into a corner.
Cheers bud, got a set to fit but tempted to sell them and use RC5+ pads on HC discs....

Its really all personal preference, if its 2nd hand and youve got it all there i would fit them and see how theyre like, if you feel you would be better off without them, sell them have £400 in your pocket to spend elsewhere

Havent tried rc5s but rc6s are excellent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
4 pots although good, are not really needed, I and many others race on standard calipers and discs.

This has always been my thought, the caliper has been designed to perform to a "high" standard with the factory weight of the car. If you strip a car of any weight surely the brakes have less weight to slow down, thus meaning they're better without even changing pads or discs for uprated versions. All you need is better pads, I have always seen BBK's as overkill on cars, more so road going cars that never see speeds above 70-80mph and spend 80% of their life stopping a car at 30.

The terminology used by the general public regarding brakes is horrendous.
There are three separate issues being discussed here and they're all mixed together.
1) Pad choice - This is independant of caliper choice and depends on the temperature range seen in operation which is affected by vehicle weight, cornering grip, power and disk size mainly. If you're running RC5+ and only change the calipers, the odds are you'll want the same again. Depending on the caliper they may be a a different price but that's it.
2) Disk size - upgrading the braking power by increasing the lever arm. Not really been discussed here except in the last post, but might happen as part of a 'brake kit' if one is purchased. If braking power is acceptable at the moment, its just more weight. Also the OP refers to 15" wheels, so it basically isnt an option.
3) caliper choice - where this started. Since most people match the piston sizes in order to keep the same master cylinder and so on, there is no gain in braking power. You might get marginally better heat dissipation, and more even pad wear, but the main advantage is feel.

So really its not a question of "new pads or 4 pots" its more "I'm buying new pads anyway, shall I do the calipers at the same time". If the car has plenty of stopping power prior to getting too hot, and the brakes feel ok to you, but then it later suffers due to getting too hot, then surely new pads in a higher heat range are the obvious choice....