ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning rubber bump strips...

GR7

Shiny red R32
I overheard a guy at my local garage telling someone that the best way to clean his patchy rubber bump-strip along his doors and bumpers, is to heat it quite thoroughly with a hairdryer because there is some 'memory' thing that is reactivated by the warmth and it goes back to black better than with commercial cleaning stuff!

Is this correct?

He also said that if a bump-strip area comes slightly away near the edge of the door, heating it with the hairdryer will cause it to flatten back again!

GR7

Shiny red R32
Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
Try it and find out
I have a Mk2 172 and my bump strip is painted so I can't try it, but maybe someone with rubber trim can give it a go!

106 GTi
I had also read if you heat up black textured plastics with a heat gun, it restores there colour as well.

A4 Avant & A3
My bump strips look quite bad, but being painted i don't know what to do to get them looking good again... Any ideas (rich ;-)

I've heard that they are supposed to be pretty Matt looking on the 'cup' but parts of them have swirls & stuff :-(

106 GTi
I have never had the pleasure of detailing a cup, but as there unpainted others have just use AG bumper care on them. If you polish them at a guess the matt look will be removed. I would not really like to suggest anything really not knowing there actual finish.

Monaco 172 2/468
Rich said:
I have never had the pleasure of detailing a cup, but as there unpainted others have just use AG bumper care on them. If you polish them at a guess the matt look will be removed. I would not really like to suggest anything really not knowing there actual finish.

With that AG bumper stuff, do people just apply with microfibre and leave to dry etc, is that best ?

106 GTi
I apply with a foam hand pad, then buff with a microfiber after a few mins, it will streak otherwise.

A4 Avant & A3
so the (matt looking) bump strips are unpainted.. i just thought they were painted with the Matt look??.. (is that silly of me lol)

Monaco 172 2/468
Rich said:
I apply with a foam hand pad, then buff with a microfiber after a few mins, it will streak otherwise.

Does it matter if you get it on paintwork etc, like if you do wingmirror surrounds etc