ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Stages

One Phat Clio
1. Hose down
2. Wash with some form of shampoo
3. Dry
4. Menzerna power finish (remove the light scuffs/scratches/swirls) Buff to remove
5. Super Resin Polish
6.????????????

Have i got this right?

1.5dci 80bhp
1. Hose down
2. Wash with shampoo
3. Hose down
4. Clay paint work
5. Rewash with shampoo then dry
6. Menzerna power finish
7. Super resin polish
8. Wax

Clio 197 RB
1. Jet wash the majority of dirt off of the car.
2. clean the car with decent shampoo, ( I like Dodo Juice born to be mild ).
3. clay the car with clay bar and lubricant.
4. re-wash the car
5. dry with a drying towel
6. polish with SRP ( forwards backwards motion, NOT circling motion!! )
7. Wax of your desire, leave on car for 8-10 mins to cure, ( Dodo Juice is reasonable )
8. then add more layers as you please, ( wait 24 hours )

Thats my way, you can skip the claying part out if you like. and some people also add a sealant to the bodywork.

cleanyourcar.co.uk is your friend.

One Phat Clio
Hahaha niceone lads!! Great walkthroughs!

How much can i pick up a Clay bar for? Plus could i use Turtle Wax for the waxing part? After SRP

Thank You!!

clio cup 172
turtle wax is rubish, dont ruin all the effort. You can buy a tub of collinite 476 for about £15 if not less http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html . this is very durable but also offers great shine. everyone has their favourite wax, but nothing comes close to this for the price! Clay bars http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html get a mild or low abrasion type. you will need either some detailing spray as lube or you can use car shampoo with a rich mix.

One Phat Clio
turtle wax is rubish, dont ruin all the effort. You can buy a tub of collinite 476 for about £15 if not less http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html . this is very durable but also offers great shine. everyone has their favourite wax, but nothing comes close to this for the price! Clay bars http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html get a mild or low abrasion type. you will need either some detailing spray as lube or you can use car shampoo with a rich mix.

Brillient mate thanks!!! That wax, do i rub on soley by hand, no cloth?

2. Snow foam the car
3. Rinse
4. clean the car with decent shampoo, ( I like Dodo Juice born to be mild ).
5. clay the car with clay bar and lubricant.
6. re-wash the car
7. dry with a drying towel (using patting method)
8. polish with SRP ( forwards backwards motion, NOT circling motion!! )
9. Glaze (example, Poorboys blackhole for black cars)
10. Seal (EGP is fine)
11.Wax of your desire, leave on car for 8-10 mins to cure, ( Dodo Juice is reasonable )
12. then add more layers as you please

cleanyourcar.co.uk is your BEST friend.

I havent included the wheels, trims or interior there.

turtle wax is rubish, dont ruin all the effort. You can buy a tub of collinite 476

Lol.

If you want to see the work you've put in (baring in mind the depth/gloss comes from the polishing stages) don't use 476. It's a great hard wearing wax, but looks very dull.

Depends what you are going for, looks or a hard wearing wax. If you want the latter, I'd sooner use a decent sealent that'll last a good few months that's a; easier to apply and remove and b; looks and lasts a hell of a lot better.

2. Snow foam the car
3. Rinse
4. clean the car with decent shampoo, ( I like Dodo Juice born to be mild ).
5. clay the car with clay bar and lubricant.
6. re-wash the car
7. dry with a drying towel (using patting method)
8. polish with SRP ( forwards backwards motion, NOT circling motion!! )
9. Glaze (example, Poorboys blackhole for black cars)
10. Seal (EGP is fine)
11.Wax of your desire, leave on car for 8-10 mins to cure, ( Dodo Juice is reasonable )
12. then add more layers as you please

cleanyourcar.co.uk is your BEST friend.

I havent included the wheels, trims or interior there.

And again, why use blackhole and SRP? SRP is a filler polish with very little "polishing" abilities, relative to other polishes. If you have swirls, and want to get rid of them, use something like 203s with an LC hand cut pad. Or find a friend/pro with a machine. If you want to fill, use SRP or Blackhole. Other wise you are basically doubling your work with similar products.

Not a 320d
Lol.

If you want to see the work you've put in (baring in mind the depth/gloss comes from the polishing stages) don't use 476. It's a great hard wearing wax, but looks very dull.

Depends what you are going for, looks or a hard wearing wax. If you want the latter, I'd sooner use a decent sealent that'll last a good few months that's a; easier to apply and remove and b; looks and lasts a hell of a lot better.

THANKYOU, probably the first person to admit that 456s is only good for durability and looks s**t. Dont let dave KG see this post :X

Zaino Z5, topped with Zaino Z8 would be a good bet for said sealant.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
^^^^Que?? Everyone has always said that about 476

No they have not. People raave about it being amazing, and that they cant tell the difference between 476 and a high end wax like BOS even. They Do on DW anyways. FK is the same too.

Could someone clarify that polishing should not be done in circular motions?

Quite sure I read an article on Polished Bliss which mentioned that it didn't matter which direction, diagonally, horizontally, figure of 8, write the alphabet etc etc that you'll still end up with swirls. Or perhaps that was washing...

Edit:

A popular misconception is that because swirl marks always appear in circular patterns, they must therefore have been caused by scrubbing the paint in a circular fashion. This is not true. The reason why swirl marks appear to be circular when viewed in the sun, or under any other form of point source lighting for that matter, is that the sharp edges of the fine scratches present in the paint are catching and reflecting light radiated outward in all directions from a single central point. If you look at the same surface under a highly diffuse source of lighting, you will actually discover that the fine scratches are running randomly in all directions; they just appear to be circular when viewed under any form of point source lighting for the reason given above.

Ignore me then!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Benny - as per your edit!

The risk of circular motions, from my experience, is that you work the same areas of the paint more than you would if using a controlled back and forth motion. Greater contact with the paint = more swirls, no matter how careful you are.

When washing you should use back and forth actions. When polishing, it's the same idea. Not that I've hand polished in years!

Actually that's b****cks, I used AG Glass Polish on my knackered front screen yesterday. Bugger me my memory is shite these days :S

One Phat Clio
Well this thread has soon kick'd off haha. Itook your advice anyways in regards to the washing stages. Looking great now, betterthan before anyways