ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking coming from wheel area whilst turning tight.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has bought himself a bit of a rough 172 which has a few problems, nothing serious but none the less needs fixing.

When he is turning the car left or right (i think) there is a clicking noise coming from drivers side wheel area. the clicks get quicker with speed so I am assuming it is something to do with the rotational drive parts. funnily it does not do it in a straight line or even a slight turn, only on a tight turn, like a 3 point turn. I told him I would try and help him fix it but before I go getting dirty thought some of you may had experienced it?

My first thought is, drivers side drivehshaft, something worn in the CV joints? Any suggestions?

Thanks

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Sounds like CV joints. Not cheap to replace if your using genuine parts as they come complete with a new driveshaft etc iirc.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like CV joints. Not cheap to replace if your using genuine parts as they come complete with a new driveshaft etc iirc.

Cant buy new cv joints from ECP then? He might as well fit a 2nd hand driveshaft in that case.

Think it has to be new driveshafts. Only trouble with 2nd hand is he could fit them then get the same problem again.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Im not sure about pattern parts but I know Renault supply it as a shaft and CV joints.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Think it has to be new driveshafts. Only trouble with 2nd hand is he could fit them then get the same problem again.

Yeah but there is this problem with any 2nd hand parts. Ill tell him to look out on here for a low mileage replacement.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Left or right? Are you sure it's both??

If it's whilst hooning it around a round a roundabout, then it's the passenger one.

Second hand driveshaft for around £50 +/- 5 fit it yourself, easy as anything.

Passenger side is the wet side of the box, so you need to drop the gearbox oil first, drivers side is dry and very easy indeed.

Buy from a trusted member/cliospares and you'll be fine. Check the gaitor isn't split/has any traces of a leak before fitting.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Well I had a drive in it and with my head stuck out the window it defo sounds like it is coming from drivers side. Either way I changed a wet shaft before, no issues there.