ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking sound underneath glove compartment - car not starting ?

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

I got in my car this evening, Clio 172 Cup. I turned the ignition and all I got was a completely dead car and clicking noise that came from underneath the glove box every time I turned the key?

I gave the underneath of the glove box a little slap a few times, and also wiggled the wires a couple of times underneath there, and the car started after that...really weird!

Does anyone know what the hell this could be? Loose fuse.....as the fuse box is over that way isn't it? Loose connection to the fuse box? Anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be great.

BMW M135i
The UCH is under there with several relays on it hence the clicking, as the UCH is part of the immobiliser maybe a loose connection stopped it from working.
What was the immobiliser LED (the one in the clocks) doing when you were trying to start it? Did it go out?

Clio 172 Cup
Sorry where is the immobiliser LED? Didn't quite understand that....i can have a look tomorrow morning

BMW M135i
In the middle top of the cluster in the middle of the tacho/speedo, its the red circle which will go out if the immobliser deactivates. It does something else if it doesn't which I can't remember lol, think it flashes.

Clio 172 Cup
It did it again today. I looked at the immobiliser light, and it went out as I turned the key, but still nothing happened. I think I best take it to Renault so they can take more money off me :(

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a duf UCH if it does it again check that everything work had one in, i had to break in to it (long story) but no central locking non start no light no wipers nothing.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Right before you take it to renault, just get a torch and get under the passengers footwell, find the UCH, black box thing, and push all the wiring plugs into it with some force! it may well not help, but i have had 3 cases at work where a multiplug has come loose causing a non starting fault in this shape clio!

Clio 172 Cup
nice 1 - i will try this. I tried it already - but I didnt want to put too much force on the box. I'll give it some this time!

Clio 172 Cup
tried this again but its still not having it. I keep having to 'bump' start it. Everytime I eventually get the engine going, as soon as I switch it off its just dead again once i turn the igntion key - could the UCH box be faulty? I dont want to turn it off cos it wont bloody start !

172Petey

Are you sure the altenator hasnt just packed up and you have a flat battery? Get multi meter out and test battery power.

Clio 172 Cup
took it in to a garage, not renault - he thinks it was something in the fuse box under the bonnet. Anyway its starting everytime now. Will have to play it by ear.

Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2003
​I had the same problem. Called the AA. Turned out to be resistance in the crank sensor. Or bad wiring to crank sensor. The AA guy just put his hand under the engine put his finger on the sensor and wiggled the wires and said try it now! Started straight away!

Has symptoms of flat battery tbh.
Mine struggled to start, was fine for a bit, then all of a sudden wouldn't start. Just clicked.
​Tested battery and replaced and all was fine.

Phase 2 172
In the engine fusebox there are 3 little black or brown relays, depending on the equipment fitted to the car they are for different things.

However one of them is for the starter, these relays corrode and stop working therefore the starter wont work, hes probably taken them out and cleaned them up and it's sorted it