ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clifford Remote Engine Start

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

dont think there are any long term problems with remote start.

However i suppose if theres ever a problem with the remote start side its very very difficult to find the problem.

ALSO the Cat1 Status of the alarm is lost. so informing the insurance company that its no longer Cat1 is needed. (Reason why i didnt get it in the end)

Cheers mate,

its concept 550 anyways so thats why I had it fitted...

Just thought id see if there was any long term damaged if it got rinsed.

yep as said above, no real problems.

altho if you go somewhere nice, you may get two invoices one for the alarm (concept 300 or whatever) and another separate one for the intellistart, yes theoretically its not good and not applicable for insurance cover however the likelihood of them ever knowing is miniscule!

doesnt matter in my case cos the insurers couldnt give 2 sh1ts that i have a cat 1 alarm on my 1.2 16v!!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by noel-pilot on 28 June 2005

yep as said above, no real problems.

altho if you go somewhere nice, you may get two invoices one for the alarm (concept 300 or whatever) and another separate one for the intellistart, yes theoretically its not good and not applicable for insurance cover however the likelihood of them ever knowing is miniscule!

doesnt matter in my case cos the insurers couldnt give 2 sh1ts that i have a cat 1 alarm on my 1.2 16v!!
LOLOL

try a diff insurer ;) saved me £400ish quid when i told em about my Cat1

clio rsi turbo, phase 2

didnt affect my cat 1 rating on my concept 650 and they know about the remote start.

bought down my insurance by £400

From what i read on alarm sites, the intellistart makes no difference to the CAT 1 at all. As the alarm is still activate when you start the car. If someone tries to steal it while the engine is running, the alarm sounds, and cuts the engine. Also it will cut the engine if you try to drive off with out putting the keys in the ignition.

How much did you pay, and where from, as im looking at getting a similar system for my car.

Well I got the alarm for free as Midge was breaking his car and needed to get rid of it. It cost me £345 in total, this was to take out the alarm from Midges Clio and install it into mine with the intellistart. Didnt think that was too bad IMO.

If your interested ill PM ya the guys number, not too sure thatll want me posting it up.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

iv got this and had it for 6months and noy had any problems with it. i dont actually use it hardly ever. so its fine.but its really fly when there are birds around.;)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

well i had a good clifford on my vtr but the one i got installed on my 172 was abit sh*tty at 1st but after a couple of visits from the person to fix it.its fine,

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

taken from a Clifford Forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdhazz
thanks you have been a great help im still not sure wheather to attemp it myself or not though.

intellistart doesnt remove cat 1 wen u are activating it u press a certain button on ure alarm fob which bypasses ure imobiliser untill it is next started

Im going to 2nd what Bill said.

Fitting it will invalidate a Cat 1 alarm.

If you want to know 100% for sure ask Gary@directed on this forum.

I am 99% sure that offically it does remove the Cat1 certified status of the alarm. AFAIK There are no Thatcham approved remote start alarms.

This is the reply from guy at Clifford:

I can categorically confirm that any form of remote start will not be classified as Thatcham Cat1.

^^^Interesting.

They really should state that on the adverts then. But i cant see how it invalidates it, as the alarm is still armed, and any attempt to steal or move the car without deactivating it will cut the engine straight away.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

yer it is interesting.

I looked into it back when i was goign to have it put on with the alarm

after ringing insurance, clifford and company fittign it they all told me otherwise.

So i opted to keep the Cat1 status.

cant rememeber how much i paid, around £300 though got it cheaper than usaul cos a friend had, had alot of work done by the guy, very very good alarm, proximity detector makes sure people are scared off BEFORE they break a window/door e.t.c

i didnt have the intelistart wired up though and no cental locking or window doer upper.. so that made the price lower to, did have the head light button though..

the reason it invalidates it is due to the disactivation of the immobilisers to start the engine. so although the car is still alarmed when u remote start it, obviously the immobilisers have been disarmed to enable the starting of the car. the renault one is disarmed by them putting your spare keyfob inside the steering column (leaving you with only one key which is a bit of a fecker!!) and the clifford immobiliser is disarmed by you pressing the start button!! thats what ive been told and it makes sense!!
still sweet tho!

for new clios, they dont do (as far as i know) remote headlamps due to the auto on when its dark feature so they wire up the fogs instead which IMO looks even better!! hehe