ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v (2002) 172 replica.

Weo

You need a mod to move it mate,

Been reading the whole thread,
I love reps for some reason, more than 172's.... obviously if i was buying one id get a 172 but the effort that goes into these. Of course we all know when your younger you want a nice looking car, hence the rep, and insurance not be affordable to have a faster car, so i respect that.
I also no a lot of people moan about the 2.0l badges, but I kinda agree with you, its a rep, therefor they are there. I'm not gonna moan about corsa passing you, and tbh you have the right attitude there, if they wanna fly past you, let them. But at the end of the day, its your car so do what you want pal, dont please people on a forum when if you want 2.0l badges on your car, you have them!
;) Looks good anyways, needs some lowz though.

You need a mod to move it mate,

Been reading the whole thread,
I love reps for some reason, more than 172's.... obviously if i was buying one id get a 172 but the effort that goes into these. Of course we all know when your younger you want a nice looking car, hence the rep, and insurance not be affordable to have a faster car, so i respect that.
I also no a lot of people moan about the 2.0l badges, but I kinda agree with you, its a rep, therefor they are there. I'm not gonna moan about corsa passing you, and tbh you have the right attitude there, if they wanna fly past you, let them. But at the end of the day, its your car so do what you want pal, dont please people on a forum when if you want 2.0l badges on your car, you have them!
;) Looks good anyways, needs some lowz though.

Comments like that mean alot to me mate. thank you very much.

Mini Cooper S sport
WAAAAH, wasn't expecting that! Fcuking eww, warning needed :dead: please post that as a link!!

On a side note, don't real 1*2s have wider wings/wheel arches? That to me is the only thing which looks a bit wrong, otherwise it's a very good effort.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Is that an actual finger missing? Lol top man for actaully thinking of taking a picture that.

WAAAAH, wasn't expecting that! Fcuking eww, warning needed :dead: please post that as a link!!

On a side note, don't real 1*2s have wider wings/wheel arches? That to me is the only thing which looks a bit wrong, otherwise it's a very good effort.

My car does have the wide sport arches. they set me back a few bob aswell! haha. its the suspension that lets it down terribly!

Passat
Can't believe people have a pop at the 2.0l badges. Jesus, it's a rep! What's with the sport grille if it's not a sport? What's with any mods?!

Do what you like mate, I think its looking good.

Hope your fingers ok. Looks nasty.

Short story that may amuse you. A friend of a friend had an accident in work where he completely severed his right index finger just above the first knuckle (nearest finger nail). He was obviously rushed to hospital but nothing could be done. After healing he was required to go into work to help with a risk assessment to ensure this could never happen again. In demonstrating how he'd injured himself, he managed to completely sever his left index finger in the same place!!!

Mini Cooper S sport
Can't believe people have a pop at the 2.0l badges. Jesus, it's a rep! What's with the sport grille if it's not a sport? What's with any mods?!

I don't agree with putting the 2.0l badges on non sports, because it's a lie! If some chav wagon rinses it at the lights, they'll think they've beaten a real one, when they haven't.

In demonstrating how he'd injured himself, he managed to completely sever his left index finger in the same place!!!

Actual LOL!

Weo

Tbh a chav can rinse me at the lights as I wouldn't race him, it's all down to the driver really, I see what people mean about not putting the 2.0l badge on, as they don't want their car to feel degraded, if there's a 1.2 driving around looking like a sport. But on the other hand it is a rep to fool people into thinking it's a sport and the badges are part of that. At the end of the day his car his choice but I do get what people mean about it, just saying lol

Weo

And my quote about the driver,

I didn't mean if it like Lewis Hamilton compared to me, I meant some drivers tend to race off at the lights as a kind of my cars faster blah blah blah thing, and others don't. That was all

i tootle around in my clio as i know how slow it is. i dont get into traffic light gp`s so its all good. no one is to know. except the tractor stance and sunroof (and rear drums and interior!)

clio cup 172
Good job! I personally dont see the point. The biggest problem for me.. is if someone wantd to play ie a type r. You would just get humiliated. It's all very well saying you wont drive it like that. So why have a car that looks fast but doesnt go fast? Maybe if you spent the funds on insurance instead of making it something its clearly not.

Weo

Surely that's the reason, young, can't afford insurance on a 1*2 so a 1.1*2 rep is the way forward for looks

Weo

If it's something you wanna do and you can't afford the insurance on a v6 then why not? As long as you do it to a high standard... I no alot of people are taking the pi55 about his rep but for a rep it's looks bl00dy convincing! And if I was 17 again it's something I'd think about, at that age you want you car to look good because you no you can't afford the insurance for a fast car.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
If it's something you wanna do and you can't afford the insurance on a v6 then why not? As long as you do it to a high standard... I no alot of people are taking the pi55 about his rep but for a rep it's looks bl00dy convincing! And if I was 17 again it's something I'd think about, at that age you want you car to look good because you no you can't afford the insurance for a fast car.
Do you realise how much insurance is nowadays for first time drivers? There's kids at my work that are paying around £3000 for insurance on 1L/1.2L cars that cost them under a grand to buy. Start whacking on modifications and that premium goes up. And don't start on about cosmetic modifications don't add anything to premiums with some insurers, because when you've factored in the price of buying the panels/wheels/paint you've spent money that could be used towards insurance for another year/your next car.

Listerine & Poledo
By saving all the money wasted on this 'hero' vehicle, the OP could have put the money towards their insurance and be better off in general.

Those who can't afford should admit it to themselves and get over it. a 1.2 in good order is a good city car and has potnetial resale. One that's been treated to the faux-1*2 CS road to ruin will only sell for less.... if it survives

Weo

Do you realise how much insurance is nowadays for first time drivers? There's kids at my work that are paying around £3000 for insurance on 1L/1.2L cars that cost them under a grand to buy. Start whacking on modifications and that premium goes up. And don't start on about cosmetic modifications don't add anything to premiums with some insurers, because when you've factored in the price of buying the panels/wheels/paint you've spent money that could be used towards insurance for another year/your next car.
Yeah I do realise the price of insurance, I was 20 with a 197, and before you start saying how did I afford it, I have a well paid job and I don't smoke or drink. So I saved up

And yeah he could of saved his
Money blah blah blah, but if he really wants to do it, who is to stop him?

Right ok, so it is a 1.2 a nice slow first car that i am happy with how it looks. i know its not perfect because its not finished yet. im not a chavvy boy racer who tans his car after type r`s or even corsas for that matter. if people want to beat me in quicker in their super cars then they can happily do so. just to let you know i am 19 and i am only paying 850 pounds for a years fully comp and all mods declared on the car. i pay 125 pounds road tax a year, oh and not to mention 48mpg. . dare i say anymore?

Bit of an update. the 4x4 stance shall be sorted out at the weekend so some pictures shall be up before and after to show a contrast! ;)

Car has finally been lowered!

So we all know how it started off.. if not then here is a reminder..

406983_10150613625613984_576698983_9012102_855221679_n.jpg

We got the task of fitting the v-maxx coilovers underway at about 3 o clock. My two mechanic friends get to work ;) one is a full qualified mechanic and the other is NVQ level 1 qualified in rear coilover replacement. Several slices of cake and a few oreos later we got to front springs on only to find out some bits had been missed off. so all the work was undone on the front and restarted. we got that all sorted and sat it down, i was amazed at how low and much better it looked. We set to the rear in the dark. so we had a solution:
IMG00684-20120218-2030.jpg

No that is not the polar bear off the birds eye advert but that is my mates Punto Beast whcih was a massive hit with the neighbours ;)

While the rears were being done we came across a bit of a problem. We did not have any nuts that fitted the upper mounts. but this was soon sorted due to the luckiest nut find ever. (im very good at finding small nuts ;)) And thanks to my mates boss bodging skills we sorted a fix for another problem we had with a few rubber washers the good old trusty drill made an appearance ;)

About 7 hours and 98 brews later we battled on in -72 degrees working through the hale stone, wind, flash floods and the lightning we finally got it all sorted and back on the floor. We all piled in and went for a nice slow drive. While we were out we took a few photos, one of them being this little beauty on my friends iphone:

photo.jpg

Wouldnt let me type anymore for some strange reason. Was going to go on and thank my two mechanics for helping me out and making the car look so much better. Anyway onto a couple of pictures:
427079_10150613626363984_576698983_9012105_1909511272_n.jpg

And yes it has 2.0l badges and yes it has a sport badge. and yes it is all declared. so if you are thinking of posting anything about those things keep it to yourself :)

172 Cup
Good write up thomas, it looks a lot better now. All in all it was worth the blood sweat and tears when we got to see the final product! One day soon we will be round with the c-spanner to get the front sitting how it should ;)