ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v to 2.0

2004 1.1 16v clio
Recently bought a MK2 1.2 16v clio and was looking to maybe stick a bigger engine in it eventually, so i have a few questions.
1. Are all the MK2 clio engine bays the same size and are mountings the same? mountings arnt such a problem as im happy welding new ones, but im thinking about maybe putting a 182 engine in?
2. what are the bay and mount dimensions?

2004 1.1 16v clio
give me a F1 stock car and a v8, fine. But a road car and electronics and its a bit slower. Anyone done a build guide on a 182 conversion?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I looked at this with girlfriends 1.4 sport!
Would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 172 car outright!

2004 1.1 16v clio
yea, second hand i recon it could be done just over a grand and I'd quite like to keep my current car. I might just go full out an stick something else in it as a full project. Thats why I was asking for engine bay dimensions.

I thought about this the other week, changing a 1.2 to a 2.0, brakes front and back aren't going to cope with that kind of thing also with the drums on the back, mine often kicks out and ive only got a 1.2 (90 degrees right down a hill lol), also suspension might be an issue also like you said radiator etc.

Clio Van 07
The new engine may require some new changes in its supports, but you can also check if it isn't possible to migrate the supports from one crashed car (considering the same car maker and model). If engine is from different car maker then you are going to have to make some supports yourself.

Best way to know its to use some professional parts schematic to see first if its the same support build. Those schematics usually has the parts fitted in the front and their part number. Mostly it will be different supports due to the engine dimensions. The speedometer will be have to be programmed with the new mileage.

Cheers

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
I really can't overenthuse how much better/easier/cheaper it will be to just buy a 1*2 in the first place, lots and lots of people have come on there and thought they knew better doing a conversion.

You'll have the engine in for a reasonble ammount yes but what about the rest. Really, just buy a "proper" one.

But wait, no doubt you know better.