ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 8v won't start after cambelt change

Hi its Richard, Matt's dad. I've just changed the cambelt on our 1998 Clio 1.2 8v. While I was at it I took the head off to give it a quick check over and changed the headgasket.

I've now put it back together and everything works apart from the car will not start. There is no power to the fuel pump which is obviously the reason it won't start. The immobiliser light is going off so hopefully its not that which is the problem. I've also checked all the wiring from the fuel pump and that appears to be fine.

What else could cause this problem?

Richard

Engine turns over fine theres just no fuel getting through. Have tested the circuit with a meter and theres definetley no power getting to the fuel pump itself.

Richard

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
there should be (i think) 3 small black ones next to each other and a large yellow one, i'll just check

Checked the fuel pump relay and theres power from and to it and you can hear it click over when the iginiton is turned on.

Where is the VIN plate?

Richard

LY 182
the immobiliser light dosn't flash while cranking does it ? only i had exactly the same thing after doing a headgasket on an 8v clio and it was an immobiliser problem,

I've done a few more tests.

I took off the fuel pump and connected the terminals directly to the battery (12v) and the fuel pump works fine.

I've fiddled with the relay and im now getting 9v across all terminals of the fuel pump plug (sender and pump itself). However if I plug the pump in and turn on the ignition there is no voltage getting through to the pump terminals.

Would an immobiliser fault cause this?

Matt

LY 182
I've done a few more tests.

I took off the fuel pump and connected the terminals directly to the battery (12v) and the fuel pump works fine.

I've fiddled with the relay and im now getting 9v across all terminals of the fuel pump plug (sender and pump itself). However if I plug the pump in and turn on the ignition there is no voltage getting through to the pump terminals.

Would an immobiliser fault cause this?

Matt
do you have a spark? when i had the problem the only thing i checked before finding the immobiliser problem was if it had a spark and it didn't
it did however start up if you press and hold the button on the key and hold it as you crank it

911 carrera 2, Yamaha R6
My 172 was doing this today after the battery was replaced.
I rang a mechanic mate of mine and he told me it was the imob' playing up.
I put the key in the ignition - turned to just before starts - when all the lights come on and held the key fob button down for about 5 secs - started 1st time after that
Hope it helps chap