ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2i 16v immobiliser probs

clio 2001 1.2i 16v sport
Hello there guys, im new to this. I have a 2001 y-reg clio 1.2i 16v 3d sport and has been a great car up till recently. The immobiliser light refuses to go out when i try to start the car. The engine tries to fire up but im guessing the immobiliser doesnt let it completely fire up. Ive changed the battery in the key fob. I didnt get a spare key when i got the car. Ive checked all the fuses that i can find. When it went in for its service and MOT last month i asked about the problem and the benfield renault garage said that all they could do was to "give" me a new key for about £100. This, i was told, would be the first stage of diagnosis of the problem. I wasnt sure about this then so i left it. Now the car practically wont start. After work on fri night i was in my work car park for over 1 hour turning the ignition on and off before the immobiliser eventually went off. I DESPERATELY need some advice on what to do.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
get a new key.. only way out i think!

I also think they can reprogramme the key to the car for around £30.. although you have to get the car to them!

Only thing is, why does it work sometimes???? dodgy wiring?

It sounds like your transponder ring is failing.
If your imobilier light on the dash stay on its an imobiliser issue. chnage the imobiliser ring as there common failures.

clio 2001 1.2i 16v sport
Andy_J said:
get a new key.. only way out i think!

I also think they can reprogramme the key to the car for around £30.. although you have to get the car to them!

Only thing is, why does it work sometimes???? dodgy wiring?

Well i think its something to do with the immobiliser not recognising the code in the key. Most times the immobiliser stays active and i go nowhere, but now and again it does fire up. Since i got it going on friday thanks to my dads jump start, i had worn the battery out with trying to get it started, now the electrical fault light is now on on the dash.

Just got back from the benfield renault garage where i live in Morpeth, N`land, and someone is gonna look over it tomorrow first thing, but they "say" that the first step is a new key for this kind of problem. Is this normal?

172 mk2 Iceberg
My dads fob did this ....
Thankfully he had two keys for the car and it started..
Then we took the other faulty fob down to Ren and got it reprogramed for free
........ they said if you dont use the fob for a while it can mess up.
sounded like bulls droppings to me.
I ALLWAYS get two keys with my newer cars ,just cos i know how much another fob costs,and the pain in the butt if it messes around.
I need to get to work !

clio 2001 1.2i 16v sport
Re: clio 1.2i 16v immobiliser probs
My dads fob did this ....
Thankfully he had two keys for the car and it started..
Then we took the other faulty fob down to Ren and got it reprogramed for free
........ they said if you dont use the fob for a while it can mess up.
sounded like bulls droppings to me.
I ALLWAYS get two keys with my newer cars ,just cos i know how much another fob costs,and the pain in the butt if it messes around.
I need to get to work !

so would it often not start and have the immobiliser light flash at you, then occasionally start up ok?