ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 16v Overhaul Wanted :)

Ok so does anyone know of any cheap (and preferably DIY-with-a-bit-of-knowhow) things I can do to my 1.4 16v that would improve performance?

Thanks in advance :D

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Honestly, nothing. Put money away for a faster car mate.

i had a 1.4 16v, pissed money away on it, then bought a 2.0 clio last year... Probably could've had it quicker had I not wasted money on my old car.

not trying to s**t on your rainbow btw

if you must modify it... Stay away from the engine.

get some coilovers (rokkor/race land) are cheap and cheerful. They improved my old car no end. And some good tyres.

Yeah was thinkin of some coilovers an some top mounts an a strut brace. But I thought doin lil things like putting a Ph1 head on it an stuff would be ok? To be honest it's ok as it is an it's supposed to go to me missus when I get a different car, which might just be a 182 or sumat to play wit :p so don't wanna do too much tbh

Hey man, i've a 1.4 16V Phase 1. Like knuckles said, without spending HUGE cash, there isn't much we can do in the way of engine modification.

Unfortunately, we can't all buy and insure lovely 172s/182s/200s/225s etc. If you click the link under my name, it'll take you to my project thread and you can see some of the stuff i've done.
I've a list as long as your arm of stuff i did/want to do.

Coilovers/exhaust/induction kit/tasteful exterior changes will all make it much nicer to drive. They're excellent cars. the 1.4 is still economical and is (or mine is anyway) still fairly nippy. It'll not be worth reselling after as i'll not get my money back, but by the time i've driven this thing into the ground: i'll have enough NCB+years under my belt to warrant insuring something naturally faster.

They're a good jumping-off point!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My old one was a right laugh at the time

asdf.jpg

5c59637d.jpg

Oh mate she's a beauty. That's absolutely gorgeous. I love the look of the Sport front on the phase 2's. I'd love the Ph1 sport front on mine but i just cnat get one and paint it for the right money.

​I definitely need a cup spoiler and rear bumper though. That's a must!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cheers :) I went a bit pikey by only fitting the front bumper, no wings or skirts so I wouldn't need spacers and it'd save a bit of money lol. But I don't think you can do that to the ph1s

Cheers :) I went a bit pikey by only fitting the front bumper, no wings or skirts so I wouldn't need spacers and it'd save a bit of money lol. But I don't think you can do that to the ph1s

Ahh the filler trick? Yeah Ph1s are an all-in job. only the rear can be fitted alone. Front bumper means front wings which means front skirts.
It's a shame, because the Ph1 non-sport front bumper isn't really to my taste :dead:

Do you happen to know Knuckles, does the front trim on the ph1 bumpers come out?

​sorry to be hijacking the thread jono69!

Filler, fibreglass, profanities and panicking lol. Which trim? I'd expect it to come out somehow though lol
The grey/black plastic fronting on the Ph1 non-Sport front. On the Ph2s, it seems to be 3 pieces and it's clipped in and /can/ be removed. On the Ph1 though it;s a solid line.
It must be removable though, i can't imagine it not being replaceable.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
The grey/black plastic fronting on the Ph1 non-Sport front. On the Ph2s, it seems to be 3 pieces and it's clipped in and /can/ be removed. On the Ph1 though it;s a solid line.
It must be removable though, i can't imagine it not being replaceable.

no it cant be removed its part of the bumper.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Ok so does anyone know of any cheap (and preferably DIY-with-a-bit-of-knowhow) things I can do to my 1.4 16v that would improve performance?

Thanks in advance :D

good full service first.
easiest DIY mods would be cat back exhaust system,induction kit and RS tuner map would improve performance but not by much.

good full service first. easiest DIY mods would be cat back exhaust system,induction kit and RS tuner map would improve performance but not by much.

Ben: On the subject of an RS Tuner map, what would you recommend for the 1.4 16v? Obviously there isnt much to be gotten in the way of huge HP gains, but what about things like pops and bangs - are they RS/1*2 only?
​suck about the bumper too. If LJ breaks his, maybe i'll nab it!

RSTuner, surprisingly, is for RS Clios only ;)

That suspicion certainly had crossed my mind ;) Though i've seen it says it supports:
Clio 2
Clio 3
megane 2
megane 3
laguna 2
laguna 3
twingo 2
wind
koleos

Is it really only the RS clio II? Surely there must be maps etc available for the other engines. forgive my ignorance if i'm vehemently incorrect.

Last edited:
  mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Ben: On the subject of an RS Tuner map, what would you recommend for the 1.4 16v? Obviously there isnt much to be gotten in the way of huge HP gains, but what about things like pops and bangs - are they RS/1*2 only?
​suck about the bumper too. If LJ breaks his, maybe i'll nab it!

depends on how much you spend.

can get induction kits,4-1 manifolds cat back systems and cams remaps all off the shelf could prob get around an extra 15-20 bhp.

could get headwork done inlets matched custom manifold and run carbs or itbs or even a low pressure turbo build.
​if you could find a 1.6 16v engine and ecu would be a straight swap with the 1.4 theres also forged pistons and rods available off the shelf for the 1.6.
you could have a pops and bangs map made up for the 1.4.

depends on how much you spend. can get induction kits,4-1 manifolds cat back systems and cams remaps all off the shelf could prob get around an extra 15-20 bhp. could get headwork done inlets matched custom manifold and run carbs or itbs or even a low pressure turbo build. ​if you could find a 1.6 16v engine and ecu would be a straight swap with the 1.4 theres also forged pistons and rods available off the shelf for the 1.6. you could have a pops and bangs map made up for the 1.4.

Done the IK and Cat-back with no centre piece. I would get a Raceland 4-1 but cannot find one for love nor money. I saw Catcams do cams for the 1600, should be a direct fit to the 1400 too, only the pistons and rods and longer right?
Inlets, Turbos and ITBs would probably be pushing it out of my price range. It's plastic inlet too.
Sent off my VIN to Henk to see what the deal with mapping is, I think if it'll take one, an RSTuner map would finish it off in the performance respect.

​pops and bangs would be nice, but i;d need a decat too!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Done the IK and Cat-back with no centre piece. I would get a Raceland 4-1 but cannot find one for love nor money. I saw Catcams do cams for the 1600, should be a direct fit to the 1400 too, only the pistons and rods and longer right?
Inlets, Turbos and ITBs would probably be pushing it out of my price range. It's plastic inlet too.
Sent off my VIN to Henk to see what the deal with mapping is, I think if it'll take one, an RSTuner map would finish it off in the performance respect.

​pops and bangs would be nice, but i;d need a decat too!

​think its the bore thats the difference so rods and pistons wont fit.

managed to get a 2nd hand raceland 4-1 manifold and de-cat/downpipe for mine just got to fit it. got a cat back cat cams induction kit and lightened fly wheel. just got to sort out the gear box fit a 3.8bar fpr then i can get it mapped.

​think its the bore thats the difference so rods and pistons wont fit.

managed to get a 2nd hand raceland 4-1 manifold and de-cat/downpipe for mine just got to fit it. got a cat back cat cams induction kit and lightened fly wheel. just got to sort out the gear box fit a 3.8bar fpr then i can get it mapped.

I'm so jealous on various different levels! Where did you manage to get your mani?

Bore on the 1.6 and 1.4 (16v) is the same, the stroke differs.

What kind of advantages does the 3.8Bar FPR add, and how much did your cams set you back?

Hey talkin of gearbox, what box is on the 1.4? Cause I read somewhere bout a .83 and 1 5th ratio. Jus wondered if there was any way of squeezing a bit of extra speed out. Mine seems to have more of a rev limiting problem rather than pulling power if that makes sense. Plus, if I was gonna start considering squeezing a bit extra power out of the ol girl I may as well use it a little better :p

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
I'm so jealous on various different levels! Where did you manage to get your mani?

Bore on the 1.6 and 1.4 (16v) is the same, the stroke differs.

What kind of advantages does the 3.8Bar FPR add, and how much did your cams set you back?

managed to get the cams and manifold 2nd hand at a great price of here few years back.
the FPR will allow the injectors to flow a bit more fuel once its mapped.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Hey talkin of gearbox, what box is on the 1.4? Cause I read somewhere bout a .83 and 1 5th ratio. Jus wondered if there was any way of squeezing a bit of extra speed out. Mine seems to have more of a rev limiting problem rather than pulling power if that makes sense. Plus, if I was gonna start considering squeezing a bit extra power out of the ol girl I may as well use it a little better :p

get the gearbox code off you box and search on here for the ratios so you can comparer and find one with a lower gear or diff ratio.

someone fitted the wrong box on my rsi was ok on the motorway to lower the revs when cruseing at 70mph and to highly geared for the engine to make use of its power fitted the correct box and it drives so much better.