ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.4 sport engine running lumpy ?

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
hi

bought a 2000 renault clio 1.4 sport today but when i started it it was running lumpy and the revs were sitting lower than they should and also when reved and left to idle it sounded like it was about to cut out on me .

now i was told that the car had been sat for around 4 months so just needs a good service to sort it .

now is it likely to be just a service needed ? (oil&filter fuel filter air filter and plugs ) or could it be anything else ?

also is the 1.4 sport a 8v or 16v ?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  52 clio 172
If its a 16v it'll be one of the pencil coils. Unbolt them but dont unplug, start engine and lift off one by one you will notice a difference in engine note on the ones that work. We play the coil pack lottery at work on Renaults £1 a go. If you lift one and the revs dont change but you can hear the coil arcing it could be a plug if the car has sat a while.

52 clio 172
Open the bonnet, an 8v will have plug leads going to the front of the head. I'm sure the 1.4 Sports are 16v though.

52 clio 172
As above, could be the Coil, leads, plugs, valve clearances or a burnt out valve. Its difficult without listening n looking.

Last edited:
  CLIO 1.4 SPORT
so what is the possible causes of lumpy running and it sounding like its gonna stall when taking my foot off the accelerator ?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Common fault is the coil pack on these I would change that with plugs

But I would get it plugged into and see if there is any other faults that could be up with it

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
well today i went to get the spark plugs for when i get it tomorrow .

can anyone give me a guess to the symptoms if its gonna be the spark plugs or coilpack at fault or anything else ?

Mk2 Ph2 172
It might give you a better understanding of what is wrong or might not depends what it throws up and if you get one that you can read live data

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
so is it likely to be the coilpack if the spark plugs dont sort it ?

it sounded quite dull which would maybe be it missfiring ?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Without having the car in front of me and trying to diagnose the fault over the internet I would be changing the plugs, leads and coil pack !!! As this is a common fault for rough running

As this is a cheaper option and are serviceable items anyway so even if it's doesn't cue it, it won't be a big loss just means they won't need to be touched for a long while... Preventive maintenance and all that jazz

Or someone on here near you may have a diagnostic tool to plug in a get some info for you for beer tokens ???

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hold on, if you had type the correct reg in on eurocarparts, it will find what engine you have, that result bringing up 16v must mean yours is a 16v not a 8v :S

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
ok will replace the spark plugs and see what happens then the coilpack and leads :)

also could the spark plugs leads and coilpack cause low idle speed and and nearly cutting out after letting the gas pedal off ?

if its not these what else could it be ?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
ahh i see, slightly confused as reg's i usually put in come up with the exact model engine type.

also if its running slightly lumpy, have a look at the tdc sensor, if needs be clean it up. ( as for the location of it on your engine, i havent a clue)

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
could be to do with the air intake side aswell gonna buy a haynes manual for it and get on with the jobs :)

gonna check the spark plugs and replace
change the ht leads and coilpack
check the cts and tdc sensor and idle control

should be one of these i think .

but will see when i get the car tomorrow :)

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
yep buying a haynes manual off ebay tonight so will be here in a few days gonna fit the spark plug tomorrow after picking up the car then i will scan the rest of the items to see if i can see anything that it could be :)

will be back if i need any help :)

CLIO 1.4 SPORT
changed the spark plugs today and made no diffrence at all :(

if its not the plugs could it be the leads or not

also the thermostat is not working either as when i go faster the temp goes down

also the gearchange is quite stiff so what could be up with that ?

also the car seems to be using alot of fuel at a guess £10 got me 55 miles ?

what could that be ?