ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16v engine removal

Hi guys, im going to be removing the engine from my Clio 16v tommorrow, to fit a new gearbox in, and just need to know if there are any special knacks to doing it, anything i should watch out for/do to make the job easier, or is it a case of following the haynes manual?

Cheers, Dan

dont take the engine out mate!!!

take off the battery and support the engine with a jack

remove air filter box / induction kit

take the gearbox mount off the box and chassis leg

remove the starter motor and water pipes above the gearbox.

loosen the bolts in the passenger side of the subframe to allow it to be pushed down to make a little bit of room

once the driveshafts are removed from the gearbox, take all the bolts out of the box and split it from the engine

if you pull the box into the passenger side arch and lever the subframe down there is enough room to tilt it vertically and lift it out past the engine, the engine may need lifting or lowering on the jack tho

hope this helps :cool:

Take the engine out its a load easier. Doing it the manual way takes bloody ages and is a right fiddle getting it lined up, and fastening the clutch on and stuff.

I swapped the gearbox in mine in 2 days taking the engine out, took me 5 by doing it the manual way.

See ya

Matt

Clio Phase II 16V

you can tidy and clean up the bay whilst the ehgine is out aswell...... might as well do a cambelt and water pump too!

cheers for the help guys, im definately removing the engine. Going to start the job in about an hour, and hope to have it finished by Saturday night :eek:

Dan

well, this was a harder job than i expected lol

The engine really is crammed into that small bay, it took me all day to get the engine out!! Anybody who wants a guide on getting the engine out/changing the box on a 1.8 16v, i can probably write one up quickly....

Dan