ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16V or a 106 GTi

Just wanna know your views on these people please.

I am currently selling my Paxo VTS and looking into getting either of above but i am unsure what to go for, bascially seeing your views peoples.

I have also been told if a Valver goes wrong its expensive is it true??

i would have said the 106gti but theres no real point in getting one if your selling your vts as they are practically identical so i would go for the valver

the reason i am selling the VTS is that the insurance is cheaper on a GTi which i dont understand when they both have the same engine?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well all three are very evenly matched cars mate - even though ive never been beaten by a VTS or GTi in the valver.;)

As Rally-joe just said, the VTS and GTi are pretty much the same car so id go valver!

As for being expensive, they can be but as can any car. Get a good one and youll be fine!

The clios are comfier too and cheaper to insure being only group 12!

They look better too.....................

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1083243150__clio.jpg

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

If given the choice between the two I would go for the 106 mainly as you will be able to get a newer/low milage example a lot easier than a valver. Dont see the point in changing to the 106 from a saxo though.:confused:

if i had the choice then i would go for the 106 but id buy my rallye back instead of getting a gti - but like i said, the vts and gti are almost identicle in every way so id go for the valver mate

As said the 106 is fairly similar to the VTS so not much point to going that route unless you REALLY want one. To my knowledge, the valver is cheaper insurance than the GTI and just as quick. Obviously they are upwards of 7 years old now but are no more expensive than any other small performance car with a large engine - costs are just a symptom of the lack space to work in etc.

All fair points people but like i said the reason for selling the VTS is that a Valver and the GTi are cheaper insurance and simular specs

ff 182

ian c is rite the pedals are all too close together in the 106 and saxo the valver is a better car but dont forget the saxo and the 106 is a much newer car

190 BHP Willy 2

Oi Dom, why you edited the pic to remove the Burberry toptint?

Get a valver. I told you before you bought your golf and your VTS.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Id go for the 106 GTi myself... in fact, Ive already had one... ;)

Very similar to the VTS though, a lot of parts are the same, but the 106 is the better car IMO.

dom, i know that you are thinking of selling the vts as its cheaper to insure a valver/gti, but there are only 1 group difference between them all !!

valver 12. gti 13 & vts 14 so really there shouldnt be too much of a difference between them all.

Lee

BMW M2C

Surely the cost of swapping will negate and saving you would make on insurance anyway.

Id go for the 106, as someone has already said you can get a newer lower mileage car which wont cost much to run. My old GTi-6 never went wrong once.

Quote: Originally posted by Dom16v on 14 July 2004

the reason i am selling the VTS is that the insurance is cheaper on a GTi which i dont understand when they both have the same engine?
thtas why i posted up the insurance groups mate,

personally id keep the saxo.

If you want a bigger car then the Clio if not the the 106 Gti. I couldnt live with a 106 having done so before. I always felt like I was in a sardine tin. My Girlfreind prefers my Clio to her VTS and this is her main reason - I wont let her buy anything French tho so no 16v or Williams for her LOL.

I was in a similar position about 2 months ago before I bought my valver mate.

Ive got to say there are both really nice cars, the GTI looks and is slightly newer, is it 120bhp and the 0-60 is quite impressive as I believe. though top end wont be as good, however how often are u up there! They are more expensive to buy and more expensive to insure. And they look a bit more smoother and subtle.

But the valver is a lot more agressive, when I owned my old car and martin came flying up behind me I certianly moved out of the way as fast as possible! Plus with its massive bonnet buldge and flared arches its looks well mean! Anyway its cheaper to buy and on insurance, plus for the money u are thinking of spending on a GTI you can get the best example of a valver and still have change, to put towards your cheaper insurance! The engine size is bigger, more bhp as standard and possibly more options available for tuning as slightly bigger engine, where as the 1.6 is doing well at an impressive 120 bhp! Bad points, older car, but that can mean less people have them, u wont see as many on the roads as GTIs. Might have more problems with as older but for the money u should be buying a minter! And tell you the truth not much else I can think of as Im feeling tired!

But end of the day its what u prefer mate, you will already have a choice in your head and no mater what u will end up going for it!

So which do you prefer?

I used to own a Valver (then a Williams) and looked at about half a dozen 106 GTis before deciding they werent for me.

The Clio Mk1 is a bigger car than the 106 and you really feel the extra cabin space. You can find Valvers with leather too - much more supportive and higher quality than the 106 items.

Ou on the road, the Pug is quick in 1st and 2nd and handles small roundabouts very well. At motorway speeds and for overtaking, Id say its second to the Valver by a small margin. High speed stability is noticeably better in the Clio 16V. Id also say that while the 106 GTi (and not forgetting the VTS) is ace in the handling department, the Valver is at least as good and is definitely more progressive and controllable on the limit. A 16V is less likely to throw you into the nearest tree when things get ugly.

My 16V was a money pit, but I loved it and it was good to me. My Williams (which is a very similar car) was not a money pit and was in far better condition mechanically. Goes to show that there are good and bad ones out there.

A decent 16V can be had for around £2k these days, with the best at about £3k. Depending on what you get for the VTS, consider a Williams. The Willy definitely lives up to all the hype and is IMO still the bona fide king of hot hatches. Ive never driven a more complete and focused hot hatch. Yes, its Group 17 insurance, but if you cherish your cars and have a good record it wont be too bad. As youre finding with the VTS, its the profile of the owners of cars that decides insurance prices - Groups are only really an issue when a car is new and theres no history of claims to guide insurance companies. Mind you, if you like modifying then stay clear of a Williams - theyre way too special in standard trim IMO and youll get serious stick if you run it through the "Ripspeed" treatment.

All in all, Im very proud to have owned a 16V and then a Willy. I dont think theres a more able pair of hot hatches around. Of course the 172 brigade have appeared, but they dont bring anything radically new to the party and cost a clear few thousand more to buy.

Happy buying!

I am more inclined to buy a Valver due to being bigger inside plus they sound nuts appered to a GTi.

I am also looking at a Megane but just looking people and looking at a 306 GTi-6 and a 306 Convertible for fun but winter coming so maybe not.

Well I have only driven a Valver once so im no expert but I find the Williams a nicer size - its not much bigger but it makes a difference. Also the steering turn-in isnt as sharp and make it less hastle to drive on longer distances - we took the VTS took Ullapool last week and found the constant adjusting the steering a bit annoying.

The steering turn-in on the Willy being less sharp than the VTS could be due to a worn bottom rubber on the steering column next to the UJ (absolutely guaranteed unless its been replaced or welded!).