ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16v - best hot hatch of its time

When the Clio 16v was released do you reckon it was the best hot hatch of its time (before the williams that is) - much like the 172/182 is now?

Was just thinking of its competition at the time (1992)

Fiesta XR2i 16v

Fiesta RS1800

Golf GTi

Suziki Swift Gti

Probably a few others I have missed too!!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Could still get a few Fietsa RS Turbos on a J plate too.

I think though for the fact the 16v was in production for the time it was shows it was a good car. Id rather have a valver than a 205 GTi even though I hear the handling on the Gti is something else.

Every time somebody posts about hot hatches i get a little tear in my eye thinking about my 205 gti.

I WANT MY 205 GTI BACK NOW:(

[Edited by Le_Smithier on 26 January 2005 at 12:16pm]

tiTTy & SV650

in 91 / 92 youd get a last of the batch special edition 1.9 205 gti with electrics, leather etc, an 80s hot hatch which was probably still the best at the time!

Definitely my fave

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by dannyboy on 26 January 2005

WHEN DID PULSER gtirS START GETTING PRODUCED?
90 i believe - H plates are the earliest - but they are in no way the best hot hatch of its time...awful cars IMO handle like bricks

I was gonna say that the 106 XSi was one of the best of the early 90s...didnt have much power but handling was excellent

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 26 January 2005

in 91 / 92 youd get a last of the batch special edition 1.9 205 gti with electrics, leather etc, an 80s hot hatch which was probably still the best at the time!

Definitely my fave
i had a 94 model 205 GTi....very very very last of the line lol even with power steering lol

nissan pulsar gtir were poop at handling. this is the problem with cars with turbos or 4wd cars/offroaders people instantly think they are godly and all conquering.. not true.

Street Triple R

In my experience the 205 GTi (1.6 especially) has amongst the best handling of any car ive ever driven...and thats quite a few

205 GTi everytime over a valver, such a superb car it is widely considered one of if not the best hot hatch of all time.

I had the 1.6 version which was excellent and actually handled better than the 1.9 (both in standard form).

LY 200

Uncle had a 205 1.9 when they first came out and although i was only young at the time yes it was rapido!!!

Shame about the looks though!!!

The 205 has a tendance to crack along the roof though do they not?

Surely this must go against it being the best???

Valver gets my vote :) maybe a bit biast though.

What year did they stop making valver?

Quote: Originally posted by Cathro_16v on 26 January 2005

The 205 has a tendance to crack along the roof though do they not?

Surely this must go against it being the best???

Valver gets my vote :) maybe a bit biast though.

What year did they stop making valver?

They creased when u put a strut brace on but IIRC it happens on most cars when you put a brace on, especially ones with a sunroof.

But the handling is godly on em, and they look far better than a valver:

mine b4 accident:(

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1106752614__DSCF0201.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1106752614__DSCF0201.jpg

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Are the late 205s not as highly regaurded as the early ones(cat and power steering took away some of the fun?) No expert on them though! Brand new valver in 1991 must have taken some beating IMO

megane coupe F7R

I reckon the Valver is probably the best of its time. There aint anythin out there that it cant give a run for its money down some twistys. The 1.6 205gti is supposed to be great and the 1.9 is not supposed to handle as well. The best handling of the 2 therfore is a little down on power to the valver. So if the valver lost anythin in the twistys it would gane it in the straights. The williams is based on the Valver anyway and everybody loves that. The Clio 16v is very underestimated by alot of people out there. They usually only find out out good it is when they get there ass whooped by one.

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 26 January 2005

I reckon the Valver is probably the best of its time. There aint anythin out there that it cant give a run for its money down some twistys. The 1.6 205gti is supposed to be great and the 1.9 is not supposed to handle as well. The best handling of the 2 therfore is a little down on power to the valver. So if the valver lost anythin in the twistys it would gane it in the straights. The williams is based on the Valver anyway and everybody loves that. The Clio 16v is very underestimated by alot of people out there. They usually only find out out good it is when they get there ass whooped by one.
The 1.9 gti is not meant to handle as well as the 1.6 true but, a 1.9 could still out handle a valver IMO.

tiTTy & SV650

Well i had a 91 J reg 1.6 205 gti no cat, 115 bhp bog standard, handling was phenomenal, forget power steering etc its a big go kart and a true classic.

I sold it for a profit even after 2 years driving, muahaha :devilish:

1.9s are reknowned for snapping out when you over cook it on the twisties, 1.6s just grip forever, amazing machines everyone should have one in their top 10 car garage. Rattles werent too bad in mine either, but it leaked a bit.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 26 January 2005

Uncle had a 205 1.9 when they first came out and although i was only young at the time yes it was rapido!!!

Shame about the looks though!!!
I loved the looks, wanted a miami blue gti since i was 10! got one when i was 21 lol

Pina fanina designed it and it looked sh_t hot imo

Quote: Originally posted by Le_Smithier on 26 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Andyvalver on 26 January 2005

The 1.9 gti is not meant to handle as well as the 1.6 true but, a 1.9 could still out handle a valver IMO.
dont think a 205 would out handle a valver at all. what you have to remember is that the 205 1.6 GTI handled incredibly well, but was slow as hell in comparison. its all relative, the valver you will find yourself driving quicker as its a faster car, you dont need to commit as much. your 205 was a different story, the tyres were wider and lower, the suspension was also a lot lower and stiffer too... id feel safer driving a valver on the limit tho. all imho

172 Exclusive

The 205GTi was the better car even though it was older the 205 is just an amazing car.

has there been any other car that has been hyped as much as the pug 205GTi when it was first released there was a reason for this.

Although the valver is a good car i dont think it can topple a 205GTi

megane coupe F7R

They hyped the 205gti up to much. Thats why everybody loves em.

The clio 16v wasnt hyped at all really, and then it faded into the background when the williams arrived. Would the williams be better then?

The Tube

What about the old MkII Astra GTE 16V?? I remember the handling was a bit suspect, and they had a dodgy digital dash... but they went like a rocket!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

if they released it again in special edition same shape but with some mods to bring it up to date id buy it!

tiTTy & SV650

205gti isnt just hype, look how many of us whove had them and take our word for it, legendary car.

Its not all about speed, 115bhp and 0-60 in 8.4 seconds (1.6) might not be the fastest hot hatch ever but it felt amazing driving it, turn in is the best of any car Ive ever driven. It handled better than my 182 in my opinion.

Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 26 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Le_Smithier on 26 January 2005

You having a giraffe!? 205s look rubbish imho, the Rallye is the only one that looks remotely cool. A valver would batter a GTi in every department.

Lol nah 205s look classier IMO, granted down on power of the valver.........but far lighter, but i think ud be well buggered to find a better handling hot hatch from that era.

Id trade my valver for my old 205 gti any day of the week.

+ the rallye looks pretty much identical to the GTI

[Edited by Le_Smithier on 26 January 2005 at 7:13pm]