ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 @ 18 to be my second car (When I've sold my Punto)

How many of you had/have Clio 172's at 18 as a second car? I'm currently driving a Mk2 Punto 1.2 8v and will have my 1y/ncb on the 1st of April 2010 and am hoping to sell up and get a quicker car..

Currently I'm thinking about either a VAG 1.8T (Golf or A3) but am also now looking at 172's.. 172's are quicker on paper (atleast 0-60) and will handle better, but are also 2 insurance groups higher so is inevitabley going to cost more to insure (did a rough quote on comparison site and it was £100-200 more for the 172 iirc.)

So what do you all think of having a 172 as a second car with only a years driving experience, is it too much to handle? Did a search and couldn't find anything really about this.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Re: Clio 172 @ 18 / Second Car

People on here will tell you that you are too young to handle such a car but the fact is, they are still just a quick-ish hot hatch.

As long as you are sensible with them they are fine.

Ive nearly had my 172 for 2 years, got it when i was 18 and haven't had once accident and not even close to be honest.

But there are people who get them who will wrap them round a tree in weeks.

carl

People on here will tell you that you are too young to handle such a car but the fact is, they are still just a quick-ish hot hatch.

Ive nearly had my 172 for 2 years, got it when i was 18 and haven't had once accident and not even close to be honest.

carl

Yeah all depends on how you drive. I don't drive like an idiot, I learnt my lesson about driving stupidly 3 days after passing my test (tried to go round a corner to quick, lost grip and smashed my front left wheel up going into a curb!) driven 100x better ever since, glad I learnt it so early and it wasn't anything worse tbh.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Depends what type of person you are. As my brother says he manages just fine, but he got to see all the stupid things i used to do at 17/18 in my 1.4 and learned from them :D

Personally unless you love the car they are nothing special and not worth a huge insurance premium.

But we love em :p

Depends what type of person you are. As my brother says he manages just fine, but he got to see all the stupid things i used to do at 17/18 in my 1.4 and learned from them :D

Personally unless you love the car they are nothing special and not worth a huge insurance premium.

But we love em :p

Yeah like I said, I don't drive like an idiot - I drive responsibley. :)

Why would you want it as a 2nd car?

Why wouldn't you? Why would you want it at all?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i think he means the car he owns after the first car he had.

My head hurts.

LOL. Yes that's what I meant sorry! I'm intending on selling the Punto and buying a new car which will be my "second car".

Kids these days.

I just presumed (because of how you said it) that you wanted it as a car to sit on the drive for weekends etc.

It's fine. Just don't drive like a pleb and you wont die. Well you might, but driving sensibly will reduce those chances.

Barge

I think your title is slightly misleading.

Do you want it as a second car to your daily drive? Or do you want this as your second car as in selling your present one and getting a 182?

EDIT: Too slow.

BMW M Lite
Its up to how you drive it as to wether you smash it to bits or live happily ever after. Yes of course driving experience helps but overall if you don't drive like a complete tw*t you'll be fine. And as I don't know you I won't pass judgement on your capabilities, regardless of your age.

One thing I will say though is factor into your choice not just the insurance hike but the much larger fuel bills and tax cost. People seem to overlook this then end up with a car they can't afford to run.

If you can afford it mate; go for it.

Its up to how you drive it as to wether you smash it to bits or live happily ever after. Yes of course driving experience helps but overall if you don't drive like a complete tw*t you'll be fine. And as I don't know you I won't pass judgement on your capabilities, regardless of your age.

One thing I will say though is factor into your choice not just the insurance hike but the much larger fuel bills and tax cost. People seem to overlook this then end up with a car they can't afford to run.

If you can afford it mate; go for it.

Thanks for the advice. What sort of MPG do you return in a 172 in day to day drive, not changing gear and 1.5k revs but not revving right up to 4/5k either, just a normal paced drive?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Most people think because I drive a 1.6 at 17 I will drive like a cnut but not all of us are the same. If your gunna take care of it and can afford it I don't see why not mate!

Welcome to CS, btw :).

Barge
Thanks for the advice. What sort of MPG do you return in a 172 in day to day drive, not changing gear and 1.5k revs but not revving right up to 4/5k either, just a normal paced drive?

MPG is a funny thing m'dear. Depends how long your journey time is, sitting in stationary traffic, etc. You can have the most economic car in the world, but little things like those can play havoc with your MPG.

clio 172 phase 2
172 is alot quicker than any 1.8t golf or Audi mate.0-60 or 0-100mph .
Insurance is gonna kill you on the 172 also.
....didn't think insurance companies would entertain someone of your age on the 172/182. Take care though, going from a 1.2 to a 172. lol

172 is alot quicker than any 1.8t golf or Audi mate.0-60 or 0-100mph .
Insurance is gonna kill you on the 172 also.
....didn't think insurance companies would entertain someone of your age on the 172/182. Take care though, going from a 1.2 to a 172. lol

If I went for the 1.8T i'd be looking to remap which would see 190ish BHP without other mods.

I knew the 172 would be quicker to 60 still, but would have thought there'd be much in it too 100? I know the 1.8T go from 60-100 pretty damn quickly once mapped.

Not that you'd ever go over 70 anyway. :rasp:

Cammed 182 :)
It's a FWD shopping car. Not a 500bhp RWD saloon. They're a piece of p**s to drive.

Totally agree mate easy to drive. At 18 I had a 240bhp fiat coupe 16vt I managed that fine enough its really just knowing the conditions of the road ahead. If your gona drive like a t**t it doesnt matter what car you will be in. But if your sensible enough:cool: then you will be ok.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
^+1 If your driving like a t**t then you are going to crash. whether it be a 1.2 punto or a 1*2. Drive to the road conditions and you will be fine.

Titanium 182
I got my 182 at 19 and now I have a 172, they're a piece of piss to drive and only give you trouble when you're looking for it. Insurance isn't too bad now but I am 20.. I pay £900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
^+1 If your driving like a t**t then you are going to crash. whether it be a 1.2 punto or a 1*2. Drive to the road conditions and you will be fine.
+1

People die in 1.0l corsa's, all about the driver with any car imo. Like aluco I got my 182 at 19, insurance is reasonable (not a lot more than my group 6 c2 gt) and it's a great car. I am somewhat attached to it now, never happened with any of my other cars :S

insignia

carl

Exactly what I think.

182 ff
good luck to you wish i could of had a nice car when young instead i had the bus lol,

just spend a few weeks getting used to the power thats all and ur be fine motoways good place to muck about with the quickness of the car (empty motoways that is )

Ph 1 172
i was 23 when i went from my 1.28v to 172 ....hugh jump and scared the s**t out of me for a couple of weeks especially if you have the same year with the same interior because i was going around corners smashing my foot on the ground thinking like my 1.2 and then the 2.0 would kick in and i would get a little side ways lol.....best thing i ever did though....

alien green rs133
Probably more accurate tbh.

Fuck paying over 2 grand for insurance. You get to the end of the year, and realise you could have bought a TVR at 21 :dapprove:

it was when i priced it up, but saying your a mechanic ups your premium aswell :mad:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Theres a tool on moneysavingexpert which shows you what you could rename your business type to to save money.

BG 182 FF
If you have the money then get a 172 but as said if you drive like a tool you won't have it for long and also I am sure a insurance company would love to take over 3k off you for a year.
Personally I would sell you punto, and buy a hatch like a fiesta zetec 1.6 or something along them lines as it is about insurance group 8 rather than 15,16. And save your money for a few more years.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
It's a FWD shopping car. Not a 500bhp RWD saloon. They're a piece of p**s to drive.

Agree tbh... Most people go on about how you shouldn't have a 1*2/197 or 200 etc... at such a young age, but whens all said and done you can kill yourself in a 1.0l micra. If it was a 500bhp Evo etc... then I can understand it, but its not!.

Its how you drive a car that really matters imho. If you drive like a dick, then expect the consequences.... End of!!!.

alien green rs133
Agree tbh... Most people go on about how you shouldn't have a 1*2/197 or 200 etc... at such a young age, but whens all said and done you can kill yourself in a 1.0l micra. If it was a 500bhp Evo etc... then I can understand it, but its not!.

Its how you drive a car that really matters imho. If you drive like a dick, then expect the consequences.... End of!!!.

ohh tits