ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 / 182 advice.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Hi guys

Just after a little advice really, am looking at perhaps upgrading from my Ph1 1.9dti to a Ph2 172/182.

Just wondering what to look for on the sports and any potential costly common faults. Also the prices seem to vary massively from around £1100 upto £3500 but am unsure what could be the reason for such massive price differences.

Thanks in advance

richard

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Also the prices seem to vary massively from around £1100 upto £3500 but am unsure what could be the reason for such massive price differences.

Age, mileage, spec, condition, history. All of these will factor into the price.

Do you have a budget in mind?

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
I dont have a budget in mind as such but was gobsmacked at the differences in price, sometimes can differ by 3k.

I have seen a really clean low mile 52 plate 172 for £2250 which seems good but i have no clue what to look out for on them.

Inferno 182
Decent condition 172's go for around £2k - £3k
Decent condition 182 will go for around £3k+
But you can find some that the owners dont know much about the car and will sell for the same price as a non-sport clio. Just got to look around and view alot of cars in person.

172 cup
I would say from experience that you need to check that the belts have been done and really the dephaser pulley. This can cost £600-700 easily, apart from that just check history and condition as best as you can

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
99% of cheap cars are money pits although a lot on here will think different lol , history and condition is everything, try and stay away from ones with LOTS of owners !!

Decent to imaculate 172. 2-3k
Decent to imaculate 182. 2.8-4.3k
Decent to imaculate Trophy. 4.4-6.9k

contact Steve at Rsport cars in the trader section...

Also awaits "I bought a mint 172 for 1k"
Iam yet to see one. Dave is spot on above

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Also awaits "I bought a mint 172 for 1k"

I am yet to see one.

I bought a mint 172 for 1k...

Only joshing ;)

In all seriousness though, I did get mine for £1500 in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, as was the Service History; what it did need though was both belts, tensioners and dephaser pulley changing - at CS Member rates that was £560, so brought the cost of the car up to just over £2000. They were pretty much due the week I bought it (aux belt was a bit over though!). So once I got that done (only a couple of weeks after picking the car up), everything about it really stacked up - not even a single parking dent down the sides, and that is rare for our Clio's as even breathing on the side panel deeply warps the shape! ;)

So I'd agree, a decent example with its belts done in the last year could command between £2000 / £2500.

The really big thing to look for is when the belts were last changed and you do want a receipt to prove the work has been done. There are far too many people selling RenaultSport Clio's that say, "belts were done only 10k ago, but got no stamp or receipt - fine for another 20k though". Assume it hasn't been done with those cars as you simply can not rely on their word.

Don't be scared to buy a car that needs its belts doing though, as long as everything else stacks up (Condition and prior service history) all you need to do is factor in the cost of the belts and pay no more than that. I specifically wanted a car that needed its belts doing, so I could get them done at a garage of my choice, and have the piece of mind whilst enjoying the full life of the fresh belts. Having said that, I would be dubious buying a car which was quite overdue a belt change... but cross that bridge if you come to it.

Other than that, its not major stuff... engine mounts can wear and result in excessive engine movement, but new polybushed or even OEM mounts are not excessively expensive. Dampers can start to leak, but a refurb of those isn't much either.

So judge by condition and other service history. So in regards to condition, its simply about body work and interior scuffs etc. Also factor in perishables, how soon are you going to have to change tyres, brakes suspension bushes etc? And regarding the Service History, has the car been serviced every year with at least an oil change, and when was the last cam & aux belt change done? Is there a receipt to prove it? Is it right about due now or even over-due?

Hopefully that'll give you a bit to think about!

Good luck... and make sure you do buy one as otherwise I typed this for nothing, and you'll be missing out! They're truly superb cars :)

Look about and see what the options are mate, i managed to get my 182 on a 04 reg for £1500 but that was auction and it had 94K and has since had lots of money spent on it (i knew it would BEFORE i bought it haha )
Main thing is the cam belts and aux belts as they can cost £600+ , but other things are if its a 182 exhaust back box are common to rot (like mine) and also check the tyres, one isnt to bad but 4 tyres soon add up!! (like mine ;) )
And also rear discs and pads !! because the discs arent cheap as they have the bearing in side the disc around £160 for genuine which isnt mega money but worth bearing in mind !!

clio 172 cup
I paid 1400 for my 172 cup, the cam belt had been changed in late 2010, I bet I've spent close to another 1400 getting it all working well though! New battery, new alternator, new sump, 4 new tyres, getting the Chav stuff off and getting back to standard, all new disks and pads! New exhaust and cat! Basically should of bought a minter for 2500 and saved some hassle! Wouldn't change it now though :)
I am now on the look out to swap the cup interior with the half leather one!

I am looking for a 172/182 at the moment and Parkers reckons that an average mileage good condition 182 should go for £2100 privately. I have seen a few 182s around this mark with most of the normal failure points done, full history and belts changed recently so this would appear to be about right.

172s seem to be varying wildly in price for no apparent reason.

FF Racing Blue 182
£2995 i paid for an inferno last month ff on 74k fsh and belts done just need to sort a few things on it and get it back to standard as possible