ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Advice,Info,Tips Etc Wanted

Hi,
How is everyone?

Right then.....Im thinking of getting a Clio in the new year but i was just wanting to know a bit about them Etc.I have never had a Renault before let alone a Clio.

Im thinking of a Clio 172 PH2 as i like the look of them Etc but my questions are;
What is the diffrence between a normal 172 PH2 & A Trophy?
What are the major issue's with these cars?
What's the performance like?(Handling,Speed,Braking....)Are they comfy and smooth,Nice to drive?

And finally...This is where ill probery get shot down but what is the Insurance like on them?What are people paying if you dont mind me asking?Im 19 Years old:rolleyes: With nearly 2 Years no claims bonus (But obviously just 1 ATM)

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Hi,
How is everyone?

Right then.....Im thinking of getting a Clio in the new year but i was just wanting to know a bit about them Etc.I have never had a Renault before let alone a Clio.

Im thinking of a Clio 172 PH2 as i like the look of them Etc but my questions are;
What is the diffrence between a normal 172 PH2 & A Trophy? Do a search there are alot of differances, for a start the trophy is based on a 182. Has Sach dampeners and recaros.
What are the major issue's with these cars? Not Many if the car has been looked after and serviced correctly, Top mounts arnt great, there are a few other issuse. Nothing major
What's the performance like?(Handling,Speed,Braking....)Are they comfy and smooth,Nice to drive? They handle very well and better than, alot of the hot hatches on the market currently (out of the range the trophy handles the best), they are quick but not stupidly quick all the power comes up past 5k, so they need to be revved. Braking is good standard but with a set of brembo HC disc and ferado pads can be improved with out spending a fortune.
They are not the most comfy cars to drive tho, the seating position is a bit wrong and the steering wheel is to big, They are quite noise due to the revvy engine. They are Ok on the motorway but by no means a motorway cruiser. On Broads they are great cars though.
They are Expensive to gain power from if you are wanting to mod them.

And finally...This is where ill probery get shot down but what is the Insurance like on them?What are people paying if you dont mind me asking?Im 19 Years old:rolleyes: With nearly 2 Years no claims bonus (But obviously just 1 ATM)
You will be looking at 1.8K ish roughly id say (depending on your job/postcode. I bought my 182 at 19 and waited till i was 20 with 3 years NCB to insure it because it was alot cheaper.
My brother had is 172 at 18, but he bought the car with a snapped cambelt and rebuilt it all, so what he saved on the car he put toward insurance.
Personally wait till your 20/21 although they are great cars you will never see insurance money again. If you do buy one the best way to enjoy the car is to do trackdays ;)

Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

:lolup:

Yes i see what your saying about the Insurance,TBH i havent had a look yet as i wanted to get some general info on them first.

But i will certainly look into it before i do anything.

Thanks

Bazzon - Thanks alot for that Mate really appreciate it.

The car wont be used much on the motorway TBH only when i go down to shows or track days Etc.As i am planning on trying to do some track days at some point as i have never done any before but it's something im wanting to try.These cars also seem perfect for the job.

As for the Insurance i have a 1.8 SRI 05 Plate Corsa C ATM and im paying £1400ish now.

The likes of bushes being a little problem is nothing really as i would upgrade them anyhow,Same as the brakes....And so on.I was just thinking of more like Cambelts,Problems with Pistons Etc real major issue's.

I will have a look and try and find the diffrences between a normal 172 & A Trophy.I did notice that the Trophy has lovely Recaro seats and little decals down the side but nothing really stood out.

Again though Thanks Alot:)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
There isnt really many major engine problems, The cambelt service should be done at 72K or 5 years so make sure this is done if buying. If not done its about a 300-500 quid job depending where you go.
We have 2 172s and a 182 in our house no major issues with any of them because we keep them serviced ect.

There is a thread somewhere that lists the differances between all the models.

Your budget will help u decide what to buy, the Trophy is limited addition and is the most expensive in the range. So if youve only got 4K your not going to get one.

PS, The PH1 172s are the best. :p

There isnt really many major engine problems, The cambelt service should be done at 72K or 5 years so make sure this is done if buying. If not done its about a 300-500 quid job depending where you go.
We have 2 172s and a 182 in our house no major issues with any of them because we keep them serviced ect.

There is a thread somewhere that lists the differances between all the models.

Your budget will help u decide what to buy, the Trophy is limited addition and is the most expensive in the range. So if youve only got 4K your not going to get one.

PS, The PH1 172s are the best. :p

72K OR 5 Years:eek: I thought it might of been sooner.

Well my Brother works for Benfields (VW) But they also own Renualt & Nissan next door so cheap bits & servicing for me:rasp:

Ive tried having a look but didnt find anything.Im still trying to get used to this site though:)
Im just wanting to know if they come with all the extra's that the 172 has I.E Exeons,Climate Control,Trip Computer Etc....There the main things i would like.What else do the 172's have?

Im hoping to have around £8k by time's i sell my car and all my performace bits off it Etc,Plus i have a little saved in the bank already.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
PH1 172 - Chepest in range

Pros, Cable throttle, cheapest to buy, always seem to produce good power. Oz F1s

Cons, oldest cars, ugly interior imo, no Xenons, no cruise controls

Ph2 172.

Pros, Xenons, nice interior, later models have cruise control and ESP, nice selection of colours

Cons, getting older, no cup spoiler (from factory)

Ph2 172 cup,

Pros, mondial blue, lighest in the range (more power/weight) come with turinis, cup spoiler / spliter

Cons, No Xenons , cheap interior found on lower models, no ESP/cruise

Pros, new cars all have cruise control and Esp

Cons, all due there big service about now, duel exhaust ;)

182 + cup packs

Pros, new cars all have cruise control and Esp, Cup alloys wider track, slightly lower/stiffer suspension, cup spoiler / splitter.

Cons, all due there big service about now, duel exhaust

182 CUP

Pros lightness, but not as light as the 172 cup this car make little sense to me

Cons, No Xenons , cheap interior found on lower models,

182 Trophy

Pros, Limited edition, the top of the range, its red :rasp: sach dampers, Recaro trendlines. Turinis

Cons No Xenons, rubbish rear bench/ doorcard, its red :rasp: Most expensive.

thats just roughly im sure more ppl will chip in

So is the 172 Trophy the same as the 182 Trophy?If this is the case im even going to have to sacrifice the Xenons and what ever else or buy a normal 172 and add the Recaro interior Etc which i imagine wont be cheap and very rare.

Hmmm.....

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
So is the 172 Trophy the same as the 182 Trophy?If this is the case im even going to have to sacrifice the Xenons and what ever else or buy a normal 172 and add the Recaro interior Etc which i imagine wont be cheap and very rare.

Hmmm.....

A 172 Trophy Does NOT exist!

The only trophy is the 182 Trophy!

Some 182s were specced with recaros from the factory so they are about, but to pick a set of Recaro trendlines up second hand you are looking at 750 quid roughly.

Personally the recaro trendlines are not the best seats either, they look real nice but i find them slightly uncomfortable.

A 172 Trophy Does NOT exist!

The only trophy is the 182 Trophy!

Some 182s were specced with recaros from the factory so they are about, but to pick a set of Recaro trendlines up second hand you are looking at 750 quid roughly.

Personally the recaro trendlines are not the best seats either, they look real nice but i find them slightly uncomfortable.

I could of swore i seen a 172 Trophy:S:(

Well if that is the case then i will just have to get a normal 172 as i 100% wont be able to afford the insurance on a 182 until a good couple's of years (Which i dont want to wait)

On the plus side though the money im saving just getting a normal 172 Clio means i have a bit of money to pay for my Insurance:D

Well there's nothing wrong with the standard interior in a 172 but i really do like the look of them Recaro's.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
As said above 182s and 172s are the same insurance grp, the only one that isnt Grp 16 is the 172 Cup and this is because it doesnt have ABS so some companies dont insure them

Ah right,Well that's just fcuked things up:lolup:

Well as i said im going to wait until early next year,Finish doing what i have planned to my current car and get it back on the road and then sell up see how much i have Etc.....Then make a decision.I really like the 182 Trophy's but i may just settle for a PH2 172??

Thanks for your help chap's.Especially Baz.

Any other Info Etc would be great....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends what you're using it for. General road use, day to day car=ph2 172, eibach pro's.

Track use=ph1 172, better seat's, kw v2 coilover's.

Depends what you're using it for. General road use, day to day car=ph2 172, eibach pro's.

Track use=ph1 172, better seat's, kw v2 coilover's.

Most of the time it will be used for normal everyday use but i am planning on the odd track day here and there.

Depends what's available when i do come to get one i suspose though..?

Clio 200
Imo I would try and buy as new as possible, It **should** eliminate any of the issues that the older cars have, i.e top mounts, driveshafts etc.

I dont doubt for a minute though that you could pick up a mint condition older clio from someone on here which would turn out better than a newer clio. Dont buy the first clio you see there are plenty of dogs out there. Make sure it has a decent history book and no signs of having a hard life without care.

If I was in your position I would buy a 182 with cup packs, best of both worlds from the 182 and the cup. Can get a reasonably new one for reasonable money.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1400662.htm take the cs sticker off though

Imo I would try and buy as new as possible, It **should** eliminate any of the issues that the older cars have, i.e top mounts, driveshafts etc.

I dont doubt for a minute though that you could pick up a mint condition older clio from someone on here which would turn out better than a newer clio. Dont buy the first clio you see there are plenty of dogs out there. Make sure it has a decent history book and no signs of having a hard life without care.

If I was in your position I would buy a 182 with cup packs, best of both worlds from the 182 and the cup. Can get a reasonably new one for reasonable money.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1400662.htm take the cs sticker off though

Well a drive a 05 Plate now and TBH i dont really fancy dropping by a large amount so i would prefer a 04 onwards car.

Can you please explain to me what them (Cup packs are?)

Yes i would certainly take my time looking around Etc as i have made that mistake far to many time's now over the years.

Thanks for your advice.

One cup pack is the rear spoiler (it'll have a red brake light in it) & the front splitter. The other is the suspension & anthracite wheels.
I'd go for one with both packs on it.

One cup pack is the rear spoiler (it'll have a red brake light in it) & the front splitter. The other is the suspension & anthracite wheels.
I'd go for one with both packs on it.

Ah i see.I like the sound of the Splitter and Spolier,But TBH im not a fan of the 182 Cup packs wheels.I REALLY like Anthracite Turini's.I wouldnt turn a one down with both Cup packs though as i would just sell the wheels on Etc.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

Clio 200
if you buy a standard 182 they will come with the standard silver alloys, if it has the cup packs it will have the standard alloys in anthrecite.

Only the trophys (i believe) came with turini's but most people seem to buy them anyway so shouldnt be hard to pick up a set

if you buy a standard 182 they will come with the standard silver alloys, if it has the cup packs it will have the standard alloys in anthrecite.

Only the trophys (i believe) came with turini's but most people seem to buy them anyway so shouldnt be hard to pick up a set

Nice one,Thanks Alot.