ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup track project

Clio 172
SDC11580.JPGSDC11578.JPGSDC11575.JPGSDC11576.JPGSDC11574.JPGSDC11581.JPG

Hi Guys
Im new to the site and brought the 172 cup to use on the tract, so it’s a work in progress,
so i will keep you all informed on how it’s going.

Mods already done:
182 manifold
182 decat
Group N Remap
Custom exhaust
Panel filter

After speaking to Sean @ ktec i will be ordering the following on Monday
Gaz Coil over Suspension
1 Deg Camber Shims
Solid Top Mounts
Whitelink Rear ARB
Brembo Front Disc
DS Pads
Engine Mounts & Dog Bone
Power Flex Bushes
Strut Brace Front & Rear (i have been told these don’t do much is this true?)
Any other advice will be most appreciated, i will put more pics up as i start fitting

340i
Please avoid Gaz coilovers! They will be worse than standard.

And don't bother with 'strut' braces!

53 Clio's & counting
I would advise tracking the car standard, bar a set of decent (road) tyres and some better brake pads.

Once you are used to the Clio, then look at the weak links to improve - ie wait till you are the weak link, modding the car will only push that breaking point to a much higher speed, and as you will not be farmiliar with the car at the moment that is what I suggest.

340i
I would advise tracking the car standard, bar a set of decent (road) tyres and some better brake pads.

Once you are used to the Clio, then look at the weak links to improve - ie wait till you are the weak link, modding the car will only push that breaking point to a much higher speed, and as you will not be farmiliar with the car at the moment that is what I suggest.

Top advice Russ.... Far too many people on here are modding their cars before using them!!

340i

Top advice Russ.... Far too many people on here are modding their cars before using them!!

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers my love, it seems this happens a lot now, (apologies to OP if you have previous experience with Clio) where people throw thousands and thousands at their Clio, but only in what is recommended by other people, rather than deciding on what is actually best for them, and it's a real shame as a near standard Clio is huge fun, and a real good learning point for track work (as you well know) and you did it spot on fella - yours was a combination of what you actually needed rather than wanted :) (miss your Clio :()

172 cup, Impreza P1
If it's a track car strip it out to lose some weight. Also ditch the engine cover, cups didn't come with them for a reason. ;)

Clio 172
Cheers my love, it seems this happens a lot now, (apologies to OP if you have previous experience with Clio) where people throw thousands and thousands at their Clio, but only in what is recommended by other people, rather than deciding on what is actually best for them, and it's a real shame as a near standard Clio is huge fun, and a real good learning point for track work (as you well know) and you did it spot on fella - yours was a combination of what you actually needed rather than wanted :) (miss your Clio :()

Thanks Russ, i have owned a couple of Clio's before but never tracked any before, think ill strip it out and sort my discs and pads and tyres first and go from there!!

does anyone know when the next clio track day is being sorted for?

my pervious clio's

182 05reg My First 172 02reg 172 03reg

SDC11321.JPG SDC11318.JPG8.jpg11.jpgSDC11298.JPGSDC11292.JPG

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nice looking Cup (bar the exhaust). In fact, your modification list is very similar to how mine and Mike's car is currently (see our project thread).

We have only just bought our car but will be booking Oulton Park with Easytrack on the 24th August if your interested.

Good luck and have fun!

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks Russ, i have owned a couple of Clio's before but never tracked any before, think ill strip it out and sort my discs and pads and tyres first and go from there!!

Remember too mate when you strip it out the weight distribution will change massively - and the car will again behave very different, as you have a good idea what they behave like near standard, I suggest not stripping it quite yet, and get used to track driving with the car in a state of what it will do near the limit - once you have the hang of track driving have a play around with a few bits and pieces :)

130i Road, 172 Track
Car looks great but agree with Russ et al. Get used to track driving first before diving into the mods! Invest in some brake pads, tyres and driving instruction :approve:

Clio 172
Thanks to Sean at Ktec i have ordered a few bits and bobs

SDC11591.jpg

onna get them fitted this week some time so i will keep you informed on how it goes....

any tips of advice on fitting would be gratefully received thanks

Clio 172
Nice looking Cup (bar the exhaust). In fact, your modification list is very similar to how mine and Mike's car is currently (see our project thread).

We have only just bought our car but will be booking Oulton Park with Easytrack on the 24th August if your interested.

Good luck and have fun!

ye would defo be interested in this let me know if your going and how much it is?

thanks

Crikey you've been busy!

Looks good

I've just fitted solid top mounts and powerflex bushes all round on mine. Makes a hell of a difference to the turn in :D

You need to bin those window tints though!

Lionel Richie
the ARB is fitted wrong, the brackets that hold it to the rear axle need to be further apart

did you tack weld in the wishbone sleeve's?

and WHY gaz? there's much better available!

iceberg 172
We gonna have move them arb brackets as didnt think they were wrong and didnt tack the sleeves in the wishbones! Would you recommend tacking them fred?
As for the gaz coilovers for the budget he wanted to spend ktec recommended them!

Lionel Richie
i have a car on the lift at the moment that's having to have a new subframe because they weren't welded, i'll get you pictures of the damage!!!!

MUST BE WELDED! (well tacked)

340i
I can't understand why people don't tac weld the bush sleeves, it tells you to do it in the instructions?!?!!!

Clio 172
Fred

nice one i will get them tacked, and the brackets moved further out on the arb. as for the coilovers they where recomended to me by sean at ktec...

get it back on the ramp then :eek: it keeps me out of trouble !! and gives mickstoke summat do ha

Clio 172
It was also confirmed to you on here that they are s**te. Or did you just take the advice of someone who wants to make money from you?

why are they s**t? the car looks grate feels good. not had it round a track thou yet so they might fall bits yet:eek: