ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup

172 Cup
Just bought myself a 172 cup, owned it about a week and havent stopped smiling yet! Part ex'd my Mazda RX8 as running costs were silly when I'm trying to sort
myself a house. 172 is about £10-£15 cheaper to fill up and on my last tank I done 100 more miles than I would of got to the mazda.

RX8:
DSC_0044.jpg

Clio is on 84k miles, much higher than I wanted really but it came with full service history, 4 new tyres, new rear discs, cambelt done last month and it just drove a lot better than other examples I've driven which have been on a lot less miles. Lowered on Koni adjustable suspension, has a piperX cone filter which will be going as soon as I can source an airbox.

Cup: (dealer pics as I havent had chance to take many of my own yet)

15972815.jpg
15972814.jpg
[/IMG]
15972813.jpg
[/IMG]

Only plans I have at the moment are to get it back to standard really:
1. Remove PiperX cone filter for standard airbox and panel filter - any advice on where I can get one would be good?
2. Remove boot install in the boot (picture below) and put on ebay. 2 amps and 2 subs in the boot isnt really my thing. For sale if any one wants them pm me
3. Replace the Cup splitter as it didnt have one
4. Enjoy driving it. Surprised me a bit just how much fun this car is to drive. Wish I bought this before I bothered with the mazda!

Been down Tenby for the week, got 320 miles to a full tank and averaged 37.5mpg, mixture of M4 and some quite spirited driving on country roads. This normal?

Boot Install:
DSC_0538.jpg
[/IMG]

Been researching breathing mods on here a bit and the gains seem quite good and peoples reviews but I think for the first 6 months at least I'm just going to enjoy the car standard, seems to have enough power in the twisty B roads as it is so won't be playing about with anything just yet.
Hoping I can do a few track days next year, never done one before but I imagine they'd be great fun in this car!

172 Cup
ye that install will be gone as soon as I have a dry day to get it out!
Ye motorway driving I was getting around 42/43, but with a bit about town, bit of country roads towards st davids where i put my foot down, i was happy with 37. Almost double what I was getting in the mazda! It was on the red, light hadnt come on yet but it wasnt far off, and the computer said I had 60 miles to go, is this true? Looking at the gauge I didnt think I had anywhere near that left. After the text of roughly how much I'll get to a full tank I'll be filling it back up whenever it hits a quarter of a tank, just a habbit I got in to.

Ye its on Koni suspension all round. Quite hard over bumps but seems quite flat in the corners. Probably giving me a bit too much confidence going in to bends, still think I'll s**t out long time before the i reach the cars full ability tho!

172 Cup
Not an update as such but finally got chance to take out the install from the boot, weighed 30kg in total! Only problem is all thespeakers were fed from the amps so until I get chance to connect them back to the head unit I'm without music. And without a boot floor but a trip to the scrap yard should sort that.

Had a quote for an airbox, £60 posted 2nd hand, does that sound right?

Going to llandow circuit Saturday to see what track days are like

320td Daily XR2t Toy
Have a look through the for sale section on here. Should be able to get a standard airbox for less than that. Get a performance panel filter for it small gain in it and better than the cone filters.

I was rather surprised when i got my cup how good they are on fuel. I get 370 to 400 from a tank on the work run. The fuel gauges make me laugh. Can drive mine for ages after the needle hits the bottom before the petrol light comes on.

172 Cup
I cant view the parts sale section yet as I havent registered properly and paid, will do it when I get chance though. That's my plan, just get a standard box with a performance panel filter. Would a panel filter make any difference to the sound of the exhaust? Cone filter is really loud between 3 and 4k revs and I hate it!

I tend to fill up as soon as I hit a quarter but I was impressed on how good they are on fuel. Saying that though, after running an RX8 anything is going to be better on fuel!!

Just removed all the old cables from the subs, amps, door speakers etc and wired up the originals so I have music again. Chased a cable from the positive terminal of the battery, through the engine bay to find the other end just loose under the dash!

Seen a 182 manifold on ebay used, woud you consider something like that 2nd hand or always buy new?

172 cup
nice looking car mate. become a member and have a scout through the parts for sale section, lots of good parts come up alot. your get your membership money back just from the money you can save on parts on here.

E36 328i
I did exactly the same as you, came from a red RX-8 to a cup. I haven't looked back and again, like you, wish I didn't even bother with the Mazda!

Looks clean mate.