ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 172 FIRE!!

give us the contact details and we can "express our concern", i like everyone else who has a similar car would like to know.

sorry to see your pride and joy in such a mess m8. at least it was just the car and nowt else went up aswell.

Just spoken to the customer services Manager and he has said that they can not do anythig until my insurance company call them.

If the insurance company call them and say that the car was at fault so they will want reimbursing for the money then Renault would take it from there.

Now got to phone my insurance company and chase them up!

Lots of Alfas

who on here after reading all this has just looked out there window to make sure there car is ok?? Sorry for you mate, hopefully 100s of people will read this, top gear will make the problem know and renault will do something about it, Im off to buy a fire extinguisher.........

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Yet more bad news. This is a bad month for Clio Owners!

And just to set the record straight, I dont work for Renault!

dk

911 GTS Cab

that is gutting, at least your are alright! (not that you dont work for Renault Jas;) but for Moosey)

(p.s. Viv172, like the animal!!!)

[Edited by dave182 on 25 May 2004 at 2:11pm]

So sorry to hear about this!

Noticed after reading the thread about Hippychicks car that the fire started on the drivers side near the top of the engine. Dont think there is a wiring loom on that side? Also her car would have been warm from driving and yours was cold.

Yours sounds like an electrical fault, and the short was what probably caused the alarm to go off?

Sorry once again, hope it all gets sorted.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 25 May 2004

Just spoken to the customer services Manager and he has said that they can not do anythig until my insurance company call them.

If the insurance company call them and say that the car was at fault so they will want reimbursing for the money then Renault would take it from there.

Now got to phone my insurance company and chase them up!

Tell your insurance company that you belong to a Clio enthuiasts club and that this isnt the first Clio to have caught fire!!

how about getting a truck and moving it to opposite your Reno dealer!!? as long as its not on their land they cant do anythin with it..... but it would get seen by all of their customers!

I really feel for u, that must be heartbreaking! Im guessing your next car wont be in "Flame Red"?

Thats mental! Glad it was just the car that went up and nothing else - as someone said on here, what would have happend if you had kids belted in the back and ran into the post office for 2mins or something before it kicked up? :eek: shocking

Thanks for all your replies guys. I have just agreed a figure with the insurance company (who have been great by the way) and the cheque should be with me shortly. I have started writing to every man and dog that I can think of to see what I can stir up.

Renault have told me that they will see what they can do when the insuarnce company contact them with my claim.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

im glad its getting sorted

incidently, how old was the car? and how much did u loose from the original price of the car?

The car was a 52 plate and it was first registered in Sept 02.

It had just been serviced by Renault a month ago and I have settled with the Insurance for £9750 which I thought was fair.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Only thing Moose....

Is that 9750 - your excess? ie you get a chq for 9,400 if excess is 350 etc, or is that 9,750 in your hand?

9,900 will buy you my 03 Flame Red 172 as thats what Ive just p/exd it for a 182.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 25 May 2004
they will be selling it on for about 11000 mate, trust me

oh I know that much, but just saying that there are the cars available for buying with his insurance settlement.

Whether hed want another clio is a different matter

I must admit my confidence in the Renault brand has slid!!!

I will wait and see what Renault say to see if they can restore some confidence. If Mr Renault is listening a nice shiny 182 should just about do the trick!

I gave the other guys details to Hippy. He used to post on here, under the name of Wellard. His Cup also spontaneously combusted after he clipped a cerb iirc.

Should get together and campaign. Hope all gets sorted.

Yer I had been filling a skip with bricks over the weekend so it was almost two full days without moving off its spot!

The firemen were totally puzzled!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Thats shockin mate!!

Now id be tempted to ring renno an ask if the headlights are covered under warrenty, they of cause will answer yes an then say well ive had a problem with mine can you come and pick it up please!!!

Hope everything gets sorted out mate, fight the loss of No claims!!!

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

HI all, just got back from the Motor Show to find a few messages on my mobile, (cheers all who called and text me) Ive recently changed operator and number... (all you who dont have it and want it let me know...)

This ALL sounds and looks from the photographs, VERY familiar :cry:

Sorry to hear about ur car, I SO know how it feels... If you need any info PM me...

Im glad to pass on all I know...

I have only heard (just this week) of the out come of mine and Ive been stung where it it hurts as Ive lost my NCB and my insurance has shot up as well as the money I lost on the car etc...

:(

Christ! Like others here, I have the car in the garage and sleep in the bedroom directly above... Sh*tting bricks now! :confused:

Keep us posted!

H22A7 Accord Type R

gutted for you mate!! mine is nackered too............but.......i shall return!!!!!!!! :devilish:

The only thing that let me know the car was on fire was the alarm. If this had not gone off then it would have been far worse.

Like you say, if it had been in a garage it would have burnt until it hit the fuel tank!!!!

I cant imagine that Renault will just over look this! I have already written to Watchdog, Top Gear and Which to tell them that this happened with Clio cars before so Renault should ignore this problem at the peril.

In fact my Dad rang me up tonight and read a quote from a Which magazine which had tested the Clio - "The Clio is a great fun, small car but the later models are starting to suffer from electrical faults" I would laugh if it wasnt soo serious!

Ill keep you posted on any developments

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Moose,

do keep us informed. I know its not the best of things to keep us informed about, but it would be nice to know what happens.

moose - really feel for you -

you should be treated so much better by renault and thank god your ok.

really worrying developments on your car mate.

we own a 172 mk 2and the kids sleep above the garages in the bedroom.

we are now parking the clio outside as from tonight.

and sepaking to renault tomorrow.

keep us updated as to how you get on.

really hope you get this sorted. renault owe you big time.

also contact the local newspaper / national papers and it may be worth finding a good lawyer as even if you have to pay for a few letters sent out from a recognised solicitor then renault may sit up and take note.

R

rich[182]

WTF, Making me anxious, At the mo our garage is detached from house but were planning on building new garage attached to house.

If petrol tank on car goes and any fire spreads to gas mains etc..........

Anyone out there with gut reaction to sell their car ?

[Edited by rich172 on 25 May 2004 at 11:54pm]

serious as cancer !

we have already prepared a letter to go to renault tomorrow.

this link here must be read by every 172 owner before someone gets seriously injured.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

well i think its a bit drastic to think of selling ure car just bcoz 2 172s have gone up in flames. i mean, sure, thats bad for a modern car to do, but i dont think that its a common problem with renaults. also, if the 172 owners r worried then surely the cup and 182 owners shud b similarily worried???

even i (a 2004 1.4 16v owner) shud b worried coz mine might go up, but i ave to keep reminding myself that its V.rare for that to happen.

apparently jags have a bad reputation for electrical faults and im presently sitting/sleeping/revising/showering/watching tv above one!!! (obviously not doin all those things at once!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 25 May 2004

WTF, Making me anxious, At the mo our garage is detached from house but were planning on building new garage attached to house.

If petrol tank on car goes and any fire spreads to gas mains etc..........
Also VERY EXPLOSIVE are any aerosol cans, of which we all have sitting around the garage or house! Just one of those cans exposed to very high heat will probably explode, and a firefighter friend told me that a while ago he was called out to an explosion which turned out to be a can of hairspray which a girl had left sitting on a heater, causing it to explode and it blew out the door and windows of her bedroom.

it may be drastic but you cant replace children of family in general.

while agreed it is only a few examples - it only takes one more and if kids are in the house or worse if you cant get your friends or children out of the car in time you have deaths on your hand and that will be one too many .

Clio

thats very worrieng as my clio is now a month old and i leave it for days on end somtimes in the garage

IM SCARED

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I think we all need to calm down a little.There is going to be problems with any new car and the ammount of gadgets they put in them nowadays.In wolves last week i saw a TT 225 parked up a 1/2 mile from the M54 and it had burnt to a crisp.The whole front end had gone up.Im not saying its not serious and of course it shouldnt happen at all.Out of the few thousand clios sold there are going to be extreme circumstances.

Im really sorry to hear about your cars though and yes mines in the garage at night too.

After reading this thread and making my own conclusions about the TT,does anyone think the xenon lights could be a problem.Dont forget they need a 20,000 volt spark to make them work.Any malfunction in that area is enough to cause a large spark.Certainly enough to set light to any surrounding plastic.

I hope you all get sorted soon

Regards,ian