ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 172 FIRE!!

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

172fast... y did u say thanks s2 pth at the end of ure post?

just wondering if u were being genuine or sarcastic!!

What email address / postal address / telephone number are people on here directing their concerns towards? Id like to lend any help I can by writing to Renault UK myself (although whether thatll help or not...).

Im concerned now myself, concerned enough that I think Renault should be made aware of the potential problem from as many sources as possible. Surely if the majority of 172 owners on here send emails / letters to the same source in Renault UK, theyll have to take greater notice?

Aside: of the cars this has happened to, are there any similarities in the model/age/VIN number/equipment/extras of the cars involved? Were they UK cars or imports? (not that that should make a difference).

hi agmitch

address we are writing to is :

Renault Head Office.

Renault UK ltd.

The rivers office park.

Denham way.

Maple cross.

Rickmansworth.

Hertforshire.

WD 39YS

I have been having all my correspondance with Ted Scott who is the Customer Relations Manager. He is the person who deals with these "small incidents" as he put it.

You can e-mail him through mailto:customer.services@renault.co.uk">customer.services@renault.co.uk

If you put FAO: Ted Scott in the subject then the e-mails get to him

Last I head was from this Ted bloke on Wednesay. I had been constantly chasing him and then sent an e-mail saying that I had posted my pics on here! It seemed to do the trick because he was straight on the phone to me wanting to chase it up!!

He phoned the insurance company and asked them what stage they were at. They are still finishing the paperwork because they only settled with me a few days ago.

Aparantly the way it works is:

1)The insurance company pay me out

2)If the insuarnce company believe that it is a manufacturing fault (which they do) they will claim the money back from Renault which they have paid me.

3)It is at this point that Renault say they will be able to help me and inspect the car.

All very long winded and it is basically Renault not wanting to take any liability until the insurance company go chasing them. On the whole very unsatisfactory because I have had no car for 3 weeks now! I asked Renault to come and inspect the car when it was a burnt shell on my drive but they said that it was not their job to do this!! All of a suddern they would like to inspect it 3 weeks later!!

Long story short - The insurance company are calling Renault as soon as they have completed the claim and that is when Renault will call me

I also have two friends at work who own 172s and they have both written letters into Renault expressing their concern. I think if enough of us do this they can not possibly ignore it!

[Edited by Moose1978 on 28 May 2004 at 8:57pm]

isnt it interesting that they want to know the moment you have access to a larger network than they anticipate ?

:)

my letters gone off to them yesterday.

hell probably think that their all from u!

make sure wen u send it in that u say ure car and maybe ure reg so they can follow it up and know for certain that u are genuine!?

just a though i had.

each letter would be worded differently and each would have a home address on.

plus they will know its genuine when they see who my lawyer is.

thats a good site moose1978 -

keep us updated and i will also PM you once renault uk reply but my guess it will be a "formed" letter - e.g a standard response !

lets see what they write to us all mate .

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. I posted this topic on http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98 on the RenaultSport a few days ago and was waiting from Renaults response because it is a Renaul site. Well here it is!

"We were informed by Mr Moore of the unfortunate incident involving his Clio 172. We are very surprised by the incident as we are unaware of any other such occurrences. We have reassured him that we will inspect his car if his insurers feel the need to involve us as the manufacturer.

It is standard procedure for insurance claims to be investigated by an appointed assessor and a report produced prior to the conclusion and settlement of the claim. Dependent on the outcome the insurance company may contact a manufacturer and send a copy of their report detailing their findings.

We advised Mr Moore that we would fully co-operate with his insurers but received no contact from them. When advised by Mr Moore on the 26th May that the Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance company had agreed terms for the settlement of his claim we immediately contacted them but are currently still awaiting a copy of their report. Once we have this document we will be in a position to decide if an inspection is necessary.

We are keen to resolve this matter and await the findings from the insurance company."

I am very interested to hear that it is the first they know about the problem when I have two other people e-mail me where their cars have done similar things!!!

I will be onto the insuarnce company in the morning to find out when they will in touch with Renault!

hmmmmm

i hope it goes ok

im currently wondering weather renault will help me with my suspension (as its klunking and creaking.. but its been lowerd so im not sure...??)

phil

hey s2 pth -

im not sure if renault will help if they find out the cars been lowered unless its by one of their dealers.

my fingers are crossed for you though mate.

That is was suprised me. I had presumed that HippyChick had contacted Renault about her fire!?? I have already mentioned to Renault and the insurance company that others have done similar things so for them to say that mine is the first seems very strange.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 01 June 2004

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. I posted this topic on http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98 on the RenaultSport a few days ago and was waiting from Renaults response because it is a Renaul site. Well here it is!

"We were informed by Mr Moore of the unfortunate incident involving his Clio 172. We are very surprised by the incident as we are unaware of any other such occurrences. We have reassured him that we will inspect his car if his insurers feel the need to involve us as the manufacturer.

It is standard procedure for insurance claims to be investigated by an appointed assessor and a report produced prior to the conclusion and settlement of the claim. Dependent on the outcome the insurance company may contact a manufacturer and send a copy of their report detailing their findings.

We advised Mr Moore that we would fully co-operate with his insurers but received no contact from them. When advised by Mr Moore on the 26th May that the Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance company had agreed terms for the settlement of his claim we immediately contacted them but are currently still awaiting a copy of their report. Once we have this document we will be in a position to decide if an inspection is necessary.

We are keen to resolve this matter and await the findings from the insurance company."

I am very interested to hear that it is the first they know about the problem when I have two other people e-mail me where their cars have done similar things!!!

I will be onto the insuarnce company in the morning to find out when they will in touch with Renault!
Thought i would add a bit of fuel to the above! Hope you dont mind Moose1978

Yer Pete thanks. I thought I had replied to it but had a busy day yesterday so head was all over place.

It will be interesting to see what Renault do or say to you (if anything)

hi mark,

i bet renault are now considering their "legal" stance ! lol

good to put pressure on them.

that have not been very good to the customer have they ?

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 25 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 25 May 2004

Heres a couple of pictures of Michelles. I dont know if they ever decided upon what caused it, but she had had the brake master cylinder replaced a few days before it happened.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1085484345__IMG_0965-small.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1085484345__IMG_0965-small.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1085484389__IMG_0966.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1085484389__IMG_0966.jpg

Mine also goes in the garage Mike. Thats why my mom was somewhat concerned!! Especially whem Michelle told her all about hers.
in the 1st pic u can still see the CS sticker!

but really its terrible, and shows how bad dodgy wiring can be.
would u belief it we sill have the burnt CS sticker! lol!

Just thought I would give you a quick update.

4 weeks after the fire, I still have no car, no NCD, a missus about to give birth, and Renault have now decided to inspect the car tomorrow 4 weeks after the fire! Hopefully, during the 4 weeks it has taken Renault to inspect the car, no one will have been hurt by another Clio going up in flames.

I sent them a large letter this Morning saying what I thought of their customer service and had a reply saying that they understood how I felt but that they would need to view the car before doing anything.

The engineer from the insurance company is also attending so I will be very interested to see what they have to say.

ps.. Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed and PMd me with help and support, I am very gratefull.

Also just to let you know that people who have written to Renault asking for their 172s to be inspected have had bugger all response! NOW THAT IS S##T HOT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Any way if I dont get the desired response tomorrow I have managed to get hold of all of Renault directors names and addreses so I feel a few letters coming on ;-)

[Edited by Moose1978 on 14 June 2004 at 8:21pm]

Got an e-mail back from them at dinner time to say that they understood how serious I was taking this and that they would know more by the end of tomorrow. They have until Friday to answer!

Getting a lift of my mate who lives just up the road. Asked Renault for a courtesy car and they said no! I pointed out that I had a girlfriend due to give birth in 5 weeks and had no way of getting her to the hospital and they still said no.

Without my mate I would have been up the creek with no paddle!

OMG they didnt give u a courtesy car after the one they sold u spontaneously combusted?

REDICULOUS!!!