ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 172 FIRE!!

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 14 June 2004

Getting a lift of my mate who lives just up the road. Asked Renault for a courtesy car and they said no! I pointed out that I had a girlfriend due to give birth in 5 weeks and had no way of getting her to the hospital and they still said no.

Without my mate I would have been up the creek with no paddle!
With the courtesy car thing m8. Try and get them to hire one from somewhere. When ours was booked we went and they said they had none available. The apologised to Nic and said there was nothing they could do. Nic rang Renault UK to complain and they told her that they had to hire one for her.....and they should know this!

Chris

Well the inspection was done this morning and had Renault phone me to say that it looked possible that there had been a fault with the car! RESULT!

Their engineer wanted to know what the weather was like the day before the fire and I told him it had been warm and blue skies. I also had a pic of my new house that had the car and blue skies in it, which had been taken the day before the fire.

The weather information has been passed onto the Renault engineer and they will be contacting me shortly. Looks like it may all be coming to an end (fingers crossed)

172 Cup

Im thinking the same thing! Its a bit of a concern that they are asking what the weather was like. Arent cars made to cope with all conditions?

The guy from Renault said that they just needed some more details of the situation so that the engineer could finish his report.

I can not imagine for one minute that they can start blaming the weather because cars are supposed to be tested in extreme conditions to show that they can cope

LISTEN TO THIS THEN -

Back in the mid 1990,s Renault had a similiar problem with the 2.2 G8T (DIESEL ENGINE) laguna. The cars would set on fire for no specific reason. They would set on fire from the O/S/F of the vehicle and spread inwards to the bulk head of the vehicle. The cause was the alternator and the manufacturer of the alternator was VALEO and guess who makes the alternator for the cup 172..............Youve guessed it - VALEO. The alternators are more or less similar design/specs with similar ampage outputs. The cause is water ingress over a period of time seeping onto the electrics and shorting the coil out causing it to either malfunction are even set alight. Contact any Renault dealer and they will tell you about the laguna,s and the alternator fault - make sure you speak to an older technician who will remember the faults happening..............Hope this helps

Dont know if anyone spotted this but when I posted up on the RenaultSport forum in your thread about the fire, and mentioned that I was disappointed to hear renaults response and I knew they were definately aware of other incidents where 172s have caught fire ie Michelles (HippyChick) the post was deleted by their admin!

Cover up me thinks! :mad:

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Has anyone looked at the alternator on their 172/182 ?? On the right nad side of mine there is a wire with a red connector (assume this leads to the battery). Anyway, there is a LOT of copper wire showing at the end where it has been cut off ... looks VERY DODGY to me ??!??!

Is there anyway this could possibly earth and spark a fire ?? I would assume that this is supposed to have insulation around it ????

[Edited by mauricewt on 16 June 2004 at 2:09pm]

Apparantely - the fault was also due to the alternators overheating as well. This was cured by a simple airduct which was fitted under the wheel arch on the o/s/f. Cool air was fed through the duct which cooled the alternator down and this cured the problem ( most common time of the year for this happening was SUMMER ) - This does not account for mooses 172 though as it was stationery so more than likely it was the water fault !!

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 16 June 2004
Has anyone looked at the alternator on their 172/182 ?? On the right nad side of mine there is a wire with a red connector (assume this leads to the battery). Anyway, there is a LOT of copper wire showing at the end where it has been cut off ... looks VERY DODGY to me ??!??! Is there anyway this could possibly earth and spark a fire ?? I would assume that this is supposed to have insulation around it ????

Ive just been out and checked mine (03 Cup) and the red power cable is completely incased in black tubing right upto the bolt on the alternator. None of the copper core is showing at all.

Quote: Originally posted by h3lter on 16 June 2004

are valeo only makin altinaters for the 172/182 or where they used on any previous modelS?
CLIO 172 alternator - VALEO A13 VI 259 // VALEO A13VI300 // up to 2002

AFTER 2002 VALEO A13VI300

LAGUNA 1996 2.2 G8T - VALEO A13VI153 // A13VI167 // A13VI210 - All have now superseeded to a modified part

Valeo make a lot of electrical items for Renault and there alternators are used on lots of different models. Other makes include bosch and lucas.

Could the alternator cause a fire when the igntion is switched off? because both Mooses and Hippychicks 172s were parked up and switched off when the fire happened.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 16 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 16 June 2004

Has anyone looked at the alternator on their 172/182 ?? On the right nad side of mine there is a wire with a red connector (assume this leads to the battery). Anyway, there is a LOT of copper wire showing at the end where it has been cut off ... looks VERY DODGY to me ??!??!

Is there anyway this could possibly earth and spark a fire ?? I would assume that this is supposed to have insulation around it ????

Ive just been out and checked mine (03 Cup) and the red power cable is completely incased in black tubing right upto the bolt on the alternator. None of the copper core is showing at all.
I will try and get a piccy on tonight and show you what my alternator looks like... im sure there is something not right about it

Hi guys and girls,

Had a phone call from Renault this morning informing me that they were taking liability for the claim!

They are repairing my drive, replacing my no claims bonus back to where it was and sorting me out with a new car!

RESULT!

Great Result mate. Well done, i wonder if they will reimburse you for all the time and effort youve had to put in chasing them up? I doubt it. But still, well done.