ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

** Clio 172 Head & Cam Options **

Have been searching through old posts and to summarise it would appear that power gains can be had from Head & Cam work although from what I read Cam swaps arent recommended.

EFJIE a french company at some point did a 198bhp tuning pack for the 172 (Clio RS in France) which involved the following modifications:

Fast race cams (it now revs to 8000!), Gas flowed head, engine management reprogrammed (NOT CHIPPED THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DO IT - ON A ROLLING ROAD, EFJIE HAVE PERMISSION FROM RENAULT TO RE-MAP YOUR ECU -LIKE PRODRIVE).
It also came with a Full Devil exhaust system. No induction kit is used, just a replacement green air filter.
As for handling, its new Blistein all round.

Apparently a review of the conversion describe the car as even more frantic to drive. It does lose some low end torque though which can be expected. Here are the figures-
0-100kmh 6.7sec, Max 215kmh, 0-1000m 27.5sec, 0-400m 15sec, 80-120kmh in 5th 14.1sec (2.2sec slower than normal), 50-150kmh in 5th 27.8 sec (2.8sec slower than normal).

It would appear that TechnoMap another french company provide modified heads and cams also. They take original 172 cams and modify them.

Apparently 5 BHP extra for the head work and 7 BHP extra for the cams.

Apparently the 172 cams are very particular , they are hollow , made in a VERY VERY hard metal , and they are already very radical to start with. Changing them is supposed to make the car very undriveable.

simon

how ya doing mate getting into serious power than mate,
i already thought the head of the 172 was already gas flowed and ported!!!!it says soo in the brochure but i guess it can always be improved upon eh, good luck with ya conversion mate

wongy

Hi Si,

Just trying to get the options down so I can recall them in the future. Will be getting UniChip done next. Maybe in the future if still have car then I would consider head and throttle bodies.

I think before head and throttle bodies would go for nitrous as that seems such a cheap power upgrade. Would be good for the 1/4 mile runs as well. ;-)

Hi,

Wenn I was having my 172 on dyno just after changing cams I saw 13 HP increase! I use 282° cams, then my tuner reprogrammed ecu and there were another 15 HP. That makes together 28 HP!
I have open air filter, but he tell me that I lose power with that filter, so I oredered carbon air box. There may be some HP too.
I have got 40 Nm!
With the head there must be also some HP, so it isnt hard to get 200HP+ from 172 !
But it is importent how many power have your car by factory. My 172 had only 147,5 HP on flywheel. So I am having now 175,5 HP.

BY BY

You sure it wasnt 147.5 at the wheels??
147.5 at the flysheel would be bad !
I cant understand why your car would be down 25 BHP @ flywheel.

Take your car to another rolling road and get an @ wheels figure.

Can you please try and find out where
the Cams and ECU came from?

Hi,

Yes, I am sure that it was 147,5 on flywheel, but I cant be sure if the dyno was O.K.
I will try another dyno in some days to see if it was correct!

I will try to get some informations from my tuner. I hope he will tell me where he buy this stuff, because he makes cars for races, so he buy the parts form factorys. I will inform you as soon as I get some new informations!

Hi PAUL,

I dont know from wich factory are they, but I will try to find out.
All modds did the man who makes cars for Slowenian rally drivers ( including ECU .. )
All together cost 1700 EUR ( cams, ECU and work on dyno )!

I cant tell you how much strain it put on valves! Sorry

DEJAN

wont increase strain on valves, just valve springs. Thas if their higher lift, and youll need stronget ones iof your gonna increase the rpm limit.