ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 intermittent starting

RS197
Hi guys, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated please.

My 172 ph2 has had a few issues when trying to start, I've had the car 2 weeks and in that time there have been a few occasions where it has failed to start. It happened again last night, jumped in the car and turned the key to fire it up but no sounds/clicking or anything, CD player and lights etc came on. I noticed the immobiliser light was off on the dash. I took the key out and tried again and she started straight away.

I had posted about the issues before but I hadn't checked what the immobiliser light was doing when it wouldn't start. On previous occasions I had taken the key out and locked and unlocked the car before trying to start this time I just took the key out turned it on and cranked the key again.

Any help would be amazing as I don't really fancy getting stuck somewhere if it gets worse and refuses to start all together.

Cheers Jord

Clio sport 182
So you get no clicking or nothing when you turn the key ? Do the dash likes slightly dim or anything when u turn the key ?

RS197
Hi mate, no it's really weird no clicking or anything resembling an attempt to start, but the CD player will come on and I haven't noticed the dash lights getting any dimmer to be honest so will have to check when it does it again. Really frustrating because most the time it does it I turn the key back to the left then crank again and it fires up as it should :S! I have no idea what to check :(.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm no expert, but possibly the connection to the starter motor, disconnect the little cable and clean it up with your fingers so the connection is cleaner. If not, it could be the solenoid, in which case give the starter motor a little tap with something, most suggest the rubber end of a hammer; make sure you only tap it lightly though.

RB 182
When you get in do you turn the key straight away after putting the key in the ignition?
The red immobiliser light will be on when you put the key in then you have to wait for it to go out before you turn the key, about 3 seconds. Sorry if this is something you're aware of but I know I wasn't when I got my car and it sounds similar to what I was experiencing.
Plus its a free fix if that's the case :)

clio sport 182
had same problem.fixed by disconnecting connector on starter motor and fiddling about with the connector to make it a better fit.not had any problems since.(touch wood ha ha).

RS197
Cheers for the replies folks, I'm waiting for a decent spell of weather and time to get outside and have a go at sorting it. The issue has started to get more frequent and often takes more attempts to start. I have noticed something at night when its dark so could just be something to do with power to auto lights but I have noticed the centre dash bit where the display is, radio/cd temp etc does dim a bit when I attempt to start. Such a pain, I just know with my luck I'm going to get stranded somewhere when whatever it is finally gives up :(.