ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 key fob

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum as just got myself a 172 cup. Fantastic car but getting very frustrated with it's key.
The battery in the key keeps on going flat, only lasting about 3 days max. I've tried my best to clean the circuit board up and I can't see any visible short circuits but it still keeps on going flat!
I can get by using the locks manually but really want to get it sorted without resorting to getting a new key. Also, once the key is totally flat, would the immobiliser be affected?

Thanks

Evo 8 MR
Have you replaced the battery inside the fob?

Also, how do you go about locking the tailgate manually?

Clio 172 Cup
Have you replaced the battery inside the fob?

Also, how do you go about locking the tailgate manually?

Yeah keep on sticking a new battery in the fob but within 3 days it's flat. I go through the ritual of opening my door, pressing the central locking button on the dash then lock my door manually. It's really doing my nut in, really dint want to fork £200 for a new key but doesn't look like I've got much choice!

Clio 172 cup
To solve the problem do this.....

When turning the key to start the engine, squeeze the button in very slightly to tighten everything up inside the fob this will/should turn off the immobiliser and start the car

To unlock the car squeeze the top ofthe fob next to the blade to achieve the same results

tomsteer

ClioSport Club Member
My key will start the car fine but the battery dies every few days meaning the remote unlock etc wont work.

It's just a spare but would be nice to sort it out.

Cheers,

Tom

Clio 172 Cup
The immobiliser works fine, it's just the remote locking that doesn't work, it's the only key I've got so it's a proper pain in the arse. Might just have to get a new one, current cost £200! unless anyone has a better solution?

Clio 172 Cup
Finally manage to fix it, but for anyone out there who has the same problem what I did was take the circuit board out, spray it liberally with WD40 and leave it over night. Then I used kitchen roll to clean the board and imbetween all the contacts. Fitted a new battery (making sure not to touch it with bare skin) and hey presto, it works!

172 Cup
Finally manage to fix it, but for anyone out there who has the same problem what I did was take the circuit board out, spray it liberally with WD40 and leave it over night. Then I used kitchen roll to clean the board and imbetween all the contacts. Fitted a new battery (making sure not to touch it with bare skin) and hey presto, it works!

Hi Simon, firstly do you still have your Cup? is this still working for you? I have the same problem and debating whether to get a new key or just try fix the one i have. Car didnt come with a spare but iv been quoted £125 for a new key! Willing to give your solution a try though if it seems to be a long term fix.

Cheers