ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 MPG

Hi All

My computer is not right! I have worked out that I am getting 27mpg from my clio 172. This is driving to work on a dual carriageway at 60mph, then the odd trip through town taking it very easy...

I was expecting near mid 30's tbh - is there anything wrong here...if so what should I check

Cheers
Rob

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I get about 300mile from full tank.
Mostly 60-70 to work + town driving and some spirited driving on the way home

PH1 172 Sport
I'm getting about 350miles a tank with similar driving so it might be worth changing the lambda sensor

I am a bloody advanced driving instructor and so know (hopefully LOL) how to drive it in a very economical way.....keeping to 60 mph, light throttle up to that speed and on a 5 mile trip to work only 1 mile is urban driving....

so why does the lambda sensor effect mpg..?

Vw caddy tdi
Had 51-55 mpg in motorway traffic earlier today it droped to 41 ish when I hit town traffic not bad atall when I parked 35.1. Find it best to reset trip after filling up when on the motorway moving. I find when car idles mpg crawls down to approx 30mpg sometimes less! You could try changing air filter, fuel filter and checking exhaust for blows.

PH1 172 Sport
I am a bloody advanced driving instructor and so know (hopefully LOL) how to drive it in a very economical way.....keeping to 60 mph, light throttle up to that speed and on a 5 mile trip to work only 1 mile is urban driving....

so why does the lambda sensor effect mpg..?

A Lambda sensor controls the fuel air ratio and when they start to fail the car runs a default setting which is quite rich (more fuel per unit of air) hence ecconomy decreases.

Audi S3 (was 172 Exc)
My 172 Exclusive with all the hefty leather seats and aircon ;-) managed AVERAGE of 51mpg on way to Snetterton (Norfolk) and back.

Normally more like 40mpg average just mixture of driving.

Does seem to give better mpg with Shell V-Power rather than cheapo Supermarket fuel... but thats to be expected I suppose seeing as there is a sticker in the fuel filler cap saying it only drinks 98RON... Shell V Power is 97RON so close but not exact.

I've yet to find a Tesco with the magic 101RON fuel but wouldn't mind trying that in my car one day :eek:

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
lambda sensors are approx £90-£100 as far as i can remember. Not sure which one controls air/fuel as i believe there is an upstream and downstream sensor.

i can get 40mpg driving slow but not so slow that your cause traffic jams, i surspose if your strap for cash just put up with not putting your foot down alot (but thats the point in these cars tho haha:p)

Listerine & Poledo
a tankful, used in a split between driving miss daisy and driving like a loon will give me mid-30's MPG.
On a recent hack from South linolnshire to West London via the M1 I got over 45 to the G, courtesy of not being in a rush, but that was with air con going full tilt.
V-Power, it's nectar

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 Exclusive with all the hefty leather seats and aircon ;-) managed AVERAGE of 51mpg on way to Snetterton (Norfolk) and back.

Normally more like 40mpg average just mixture of driving.

Does seem to give better mpg with Shell V-Power rather than cheapo Supermarket fuel... but thats to be expected I suppose seeing as there is a sticker in the fuel filler cap saying it only drinks 98RON... Shell V Power is 97RON so close but not exact.

I've yet to find a Tesco with the magic 101RON fuel but wouldn't mind trying that in my car one day :eek:

I thought v-power was 98 ron now?

The 172/82 will happily run on 95 ron.