ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 or Focus ST170

Maybe a stupid question on a clio forum but which one would you choose?

Iv got my Type R up for sale as i need to free up some cash and am looking at either of these as a replacement.

I always told myself i would never get another mk2 clio, but with a budget of £3k im struggling to find any other options.

Anyone owner both? I no the Focus is abit gutless but i prefer the looks and size of it over the clio and i generally prefer it, but im just worried the Focus is going to be really dull after the type R - which is without doubt the best car ive ever had

Im also going to the nurburgring again in July so thats influencing my decision abit

Any advice apprechiated :)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
This is only gonna go one way....lol

Defo the 172, especially if your planning on going to the ring

RenaultSport 172
I had a 2.0l focus and loved it only 130bhp but they have a great chassis on them!
Then again I'm on my third 172 and absolutely love them! Great value for money IMO

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The 172 is the cheaper car to run for better performance. The St170 has a sublime chassis but again, runnning costs favour the Clio.

S

Ste King 182

Clio hands down my mate owns a st170 n it aint a patch on my 182 so ide imagine it wouldent be a patch on a 172 aswell. His seems quite a dull drive nippy yeh but nothing like a clio sport gives out.

Clio 172 CUP
i would say the clio especialy if you could get a cup would be on par with the type r should be fast and cheaper thn th st170 also have you considerd maybe a 106 gti or saxo vts cheaper again and with some breathing mods are quick little buggers

182 Ly ff.
Im selling my st170 at the moment! Had a 106gti b4 that and loved it, the st just seems bland, crap on juice (22mpg) well built plenty of room but boring, so selling it and getting a 1*2!! Hoping it will be like driving my 106.

Fiat coupe 20vt??

couldnt think of anything worse lol

Is there any preferences on what you get for your car? Or does it have to be one of these two vehicles?

not really, want something quickish, newish, looks ok, not really worried about running costs that much

Im selling my st170 at the moment! Had a 106gti b4 that and loved it, the st just seems bland, crap on juice (22mpg) well built plenty of room but boring, so selling it and getting a 1*2!! Hoping it will be like driving my 106.

mm, i wish i could afford a 182, the 172's looks abit dated which is whats putting me off the most, how much is your st?

182 Ly ff.

not really, want something quickish, newish, looks ok, not really worried about running costs that much

mm, i wish i could afford a 182, the 172's looks abit dated which is whats putting me off the most, how much is your st?

I paid just over 4k last jan but gonna put a 12 month ticket on it next week and hopefully get bout £3250 4 it, it is in mint condition.

260% JCW
The ST170s not a bad car, fairly quick and handles well. Also looks nice.

Clio for me though.

260% JCW

Are you after one of the first 172's of a Ph2?

E36 M3. 182
Depends on youre criteria..... Outright performance- Clio (its miles better power to weight-wise) Build quality/Interior/Quality 'feel' -Focus.
I currently run an ST170, and driving it in isolation, down a 'decent' road is great fun. Its powerful enough, the gearbox is great and the ratios mean you have to be involved to make good progress. The clio is about 150-200 Kg lighter and has as much, if not a tad more power, so in a 'race' theres only going to be one winner, but my experience of renault gearboxes would lead me to prefer the focus. After all, unless you live your life 'a quarter mile at a time yO' whats more important? comfort, build, image and IMO looks (magnum grey FTW), or 0-60 times, and bragging rights down the local maccy D's with the chavs??? Either car will be a step up in terms of steering feel from the type-R anyway (Ive driven ST170, 182, ep CTR BTW)
Oh, and i get 370-400 miles out of a tank on a 70-80mph cruise, descending to around 300-350 driving locally (mostly single carriageway, A roads)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Go for the ST170, I love Renaults but Ford's are a better quality product by far. I loved my old zetec-s and im sure the ST170 will be even better.

E36 M3. 182
Though at 3k, id be looking at 306 rallyes/ gti6's, and 328 M sports too (all depending on insurance....)

E36 M3. 182
Aye, its always gonna be a trade off with the budget youre on... have you got any set criteria to base youre search on??

i know its a crappy budget, I just want to keep my type R, main criteria is looks, fun and modern/safe

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at getting an ST170 3 and a half years ago but went for the 172 in the end. If I was to make the choice now then unless I really needed the extra room it would still be the 172 every time!!
Don't get how you think a ph2 172 looks dated compared to a 182 mind:S.

I've had both.

Avoid the focus and buy the clio. The focus bored me and the clio put a smile on my face every time i drove it. Simples.

E36 M3. 182
Looks/sound, not that old.....- http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2180698.htm
Looks, modern/ safe (RWD fun).- http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2190150.htm
Marmite looks, but modern and quick, cheap too-- http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2383733.htm
Nice, but thirsty and a stretch on youre budget, garages seem to struggle to shift them so may be a bargain to be had.. - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2293960.htm

Theres 4 suggestions, if it was my money, id be looking for a MINT PH1 172, Mint 306 GTI6/rallye, Decent 328 msport, or an ST170, But thats just me, i prefer a good drive that i can do my own maintenance on over a newer car, after all early ph2 172's and ST170's are 8 years old now, so being a newer car doesnt really mean much, more important for a car to be maintained well than be a couple of years newer and not been looked after.....

Last edited:
cheers steviet, i do like that beemer

my heads still saying go for the st170, i can see myself a couple months down the line regretting it but

E36 M3. 182
Depends, get one with a good spec/colour and the only time youll find it wanting is if you like racing against people in the street. Look out for xenons, heated screen and leather, they were pretty much the only optional extras they did, and I do regret not getting one with a heated screen (frost scraping in the morning FTL). Mines magnum grey with no extras, and to anyone who doesnt know about cars, i just say its a grey focus, people who know their cars know what theyre looking at though, I enjoy the stealthyness TBH, though im no spring chicken!!

ph1 172, berlingo
i have had a fiesta st, boring after 20 mins of driving under powered, got a ph1 172 track car fun on the twistys, not got it on the straits, so building another zetec turbo focus, its a good all round package, with a st170 head, do a cheap turbo conversion run 240-260 bhp happy days,

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
i have had a fiesta st, boring after 20 mins of driving under powered, got a ph1 172 track car fun on the twistys, not got it on the straits, so building another zetec turbo focus, its a good all round package, with a st170 head, do a cheap turbo conversion run 240-260 bhp happy days,

Wow.. You really gave it a chance then lol I know what I would rather have but my my argument maybe abit one sided, even after driving plenty of 172's :D

I would go for the st170 imo, better build quality, good engine, gearbox etc.. They are abit more refined than the clio, but it depends what you want at the end of the day. Clio will bring smiles to your face but I am sure you can have just as much fun from the focus and it will be abit more relaxed day to day.

ph1 172, berlingo
my gf drove it round for the year but i thought it would be better than it was, ford restricted them so they did not out perform and out power the 170, put 46mm down pipe on a 2lt block. not good

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
It was done for insurance reasons, restrict it and keep the insurace group down. It was never meant to be a contender for the 1*2's but they are very easy to gain power from.

Mine is currently running 170bhp just needs a new live map and Throttle body and I should easily have 185bhp :D