ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 ph1 steering wheel. removing worn leather, what you all think?????

ph1 black 172
well i got bored of bits of leather constantly falling off while driving.

so i took the stanley knife to it today.

what you think????

12939_221124867296_630702296_317650.jpg

12939_221125102296_630702296_317650.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Its an improvement, thats for sure! I'm suprised at how nice it is underneath tbh! I'm sure there would be a million places that could now retrim that for you?

If it came apart I would do one myself, but as its one piece I'd have no idea

Standard wheels aren't leather, they are neoprine which is a sort of rubbery material.

I have a re-trimmed one (off mikeyk18) it's loads better than the standard one.

ph1 black 172
Its an improvement, thats for sure! I'm suprised at how nice it is underneath tbh! I'm sure there would be a million places that could now retrim that for you?

If it came apart I would do one myself, but as its one piece I'd have no idea

all i did was cut all the sticking and then pulled. it is glued but that came off by rubbing it with my fingers.....

as for the bottom bit. its is stiched together so i pulled it carefully and cut the stiches.... just gonna put a dab of glue on the remain stiching to keep it in place....

i was surprised how good it looks and its doesnt feel bad either

ok sorry. it sort of looks like leather.
Yours may not be original, sounds like it's been done before as there's no way you can mistake neoprine for leather bud.

If you still have the material (well rubber) from the old wheel, drag your finger nail down it & you'll get a white scratch line if it's neoprine.

If what your wheel looks now is rubbery, that's the neoprine (sounds like you'd had a cover or something over the wheel)

It looks ok though.

ph1 black 172
Yours may not be original, sounds like it's been done before as there's no way you can mistake neoprine for leather bud.

If you still have the material (well rubber) from the old wheel, drag your finger nail down it & you'll get a white scratch line if it's neoprine.

If what your wheel looks now is rubbery, that's the neoprine (sounds like you'd had a cover or something over the wheel)

yeah it is original....... it is wat you say it is.... i thought it was leather thats all....

thanks

ph1 black 172
Originally Posted by cat171

yeah it is original....... it is wat you say it is.... i thought it was leather thats all....

thanks

just paid to become a full member.

the material is Leather Alcantara as said in the 2000-2001 clio 172 buying guide