ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Track Car

Civic FN2 Track Car
Right i thought i may as well start a progress thread as my car is taking shape pretty quickly. I bought a standard clio 172 in silver about 3 weeks ago with the intention of turning it in to my new track car. The car is a 2003 172 with 70k on the clock and 6 previous owners. Only issue with the car is it has a slight oil leek coming from somewhere, i think the gearbox side but cant quite tell until i get it on a ramp.

Current spec including parts I've just bought but not fitted yet

Spax RSX Full front and rear coilovers - new
K-Tec solid top mounts
Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 15x7 et35 matt black - track wheels - new
Toyo R888 195/50/15 GG - track tyres - new
Speedline Cup wheels 16x?? Grey - road wheels
Conti sport contact 3 - road tyres
K-Tec 15mm spacers for the front - new
Eibach Front camber bolts
Brembo HC front discs with ds2500 pads - new
Genuine rear discs and brembo pads - new
K-Tec brake lines
Superblue race fluid - new
K-Tec induction kit - Black - new
Corbeau Pro Series bucket seat - new
OMP side mounts and Sub frame - new
Schroth 4 point harness - Black - new
Stripped interior - Dash, headlining and front door cards remaining
100mm brake ducts
Omp steering wheel boss
Go Pro 3 white edition

Need to buy
bucket seat, side mounts, subframe and harness for passenger side
330mm suede steering wheel

3e2a69dd7facba85fbc4100fc8b163ff.jpg

85ffae9acfba947633126979ee79b494.jpg

a8ac2480472911ac89bfe9da5dfb8f4d.jpg

926b836ee9284a2a81b54969e3e324d0.jpg

Why i need spacers

d597719afd75b74d6774f15de89d3cec.jpg

d28b5850555103f0bacaac114557a753.jpg

1d4cb25e955fadbd0a426dfbc9a1504a.jpg

​Daniel

Civic FN2 Track Car
Haven't driven it yet lol, its in my garage atm, I've got a track day at brands GP on the 4th.

i had a stripped type r before and that was noisy

Quite amazing how big that pile of junk is to be honest isn't it.

Not that it matters but I weighed every item too.

Front carpet removed?

​Front door cards staying put?

Civic FN2 Track Car
I know I struggled to fit it all in the loft in my garage, yes front carpet all removed and gear surround, still have the front door cards, top and bottom dash and headlining.

the carpet was surprisingly heavy, I've got loads of sound deadening stuff to remove though.

Civic FN2 Track Car
I was only intending on removing the bit of carpet behind the front seats, as soon as I pulled it out and felt the weight, I had to take the front out.

​Working all day next Tuesday on the car to get it ready for brands so will have some updates and pictures then :D

RenaultSport 172
You are at a similar stage to me :)
I'm also local to Brands and am planning on doing an evening there soon

Nice project. Any other plans for it other than seats/wheel?

Civic FN2 Track Car
All depends on how well it does on track. I bought it as a cheap track car (£4k budget)

if all goes well on track I will just maintain and enjoy it and spend some money on tuition, if I want more power then ill get it cammed next year when I get the belts done.

Civic FN2 Track Car
Thought i better provide another update.

Since my last update the majority of my bits have now been fitted to the car. The coilovers are now all on the car and the geo was done by a local tuning company TDI. I had to fit some 15mm front spacers as the wheels were a bit close to the front shocks, apart from that every thing went very smoothly.

I have some updated pictures of the car from last tuesday, and a couple from my track day at Brands GP on the wednesday, i do have some in car footage from my go pro i just need to go through it and upload it.

DSCF2648.jpg

DSCF2649.jpg

DSCF2652.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

DSCF2651.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2668.jpg

The car performed extremely well on the track day, i did surprise me a little bit with how quick i would go through the corners. I went with a few other people and took them all out for passenger rides and they were all surprised as well. I did manage to upset a few bigger cars on track as well which is always good fun. Although by the end of the day the car was showing a few signs of wear, the service light kept coming on, the clutch pedal became stiffer and creaky and also the steering rack became quite creaky. Haven't had the chance to have a look over the car since the track day as its just been sat in my garage.

The car probably wont really be driven any more this year, will just be getting it ready for next year as i have a few ideas of bits i would like to do over the winter and i also have a couple of bits in my living room that need to be fitted.

Bits to do

- Remove the abundance of sound deadening
- Adjust the ride hight on the coilovers as i was getting some rubbing from some where may need rear spacers
- Fit the passanger seat - Corbeau Sprint
- Fit 6 point Schroth harness for the drivers seat
- Fit 4 point Schroth harness to the passenger seat
- Finish making front brake ducts and deflectors
- Refit road wheels
- Paint wing mirrors black
- Fit new RS rear badge
- Remove front door cards
- Sort out creaky steering rack and clutch pedal
- Wire up horn
- MOT
- Make headlight air feed for k-tec induction kit

Ideas

- Fit Polybush's or PMS spherical bearing to the front wishbones
- Polybush front anti roll bar
- Whiteline rear anti roll bar

Thanks for reading

Daniel

Last edited:
Car looks great and your plans sound good. What coilovers have you got? Car doesn't look as low as some I've seen, so surprised you're getting rubbing.

I've been to TDI, great guys in there to be honest.

Civic FN2 Track Car
Ive got the spax rsx track day kit, i think the rear wheels may be clipping the rear coilovers under heavy load, i need to get it in the air and have a good look really. I know its quite high, it does need to go lower but i just don't want any rubbing.

Yes the TDI guys are great, I've been going to them for a number of years now and wouldn't really go any where else, shame they don't fit the cambelt kits for the 172's though may have to go to 519 for that.

Civic FN2 Track Car
Just a quick update.

The winter makeover is taking shape, slowly but surely.

So far i have got some new cup wishbones with stress plates welded on to them and sprayed satin black Thanks SprayShack, I've also just received my Powerflex Black series wishbone kit. But I still need to pick up my new bottom ball joints and track rod ends from GSF and then the front is all ready to be refreshed. Anti roll bar bushes will be upgraded to Powerflex Black series bushes by Danny @519 when i get my cam belt service done in the new year.

Also I'm just about to order some Brake ducts and door cards from Chris @ CMComposite

Anyways heres a picture of what I've received so far

060c6a08-045f-493c-96de-c88e2d6459ec.jpg

Range Rover Sport
I know its in the title but what/why are the stress plates fitted? Do they make a difference or are they just a precaution upgrade?

Lovely car!

Civic FN2 Track Car
There meant to stiffen the wishbones up as they are only pressed steel as standard and can flex under high stress. Just thought whilst doing a front end refresh whist the car is sorn over winter why not.

Most the guys with the race clios on here run them