ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 V Golf GTI Turbo

RenaultSport clio 17
Hi you lot

I am in the market for a new car, Clio 172, or Golf GTI Turbo.

Would you say that a Golf GTI Turbo is as fast as a 172. Or would the 172 be a lot quicker because it has good power to weight ratio. What do you think.

Black Gold 182
As far as i know, the GTI is 7.0 car (0-100). This is very close to the 172's acceleration, and I guess it comes down to the driver when two such cars are put against each other. Not sure aboutthe power to weight ratio, maybe someone else can comment.

Btw, i was driving around today and a GTI (black too) saw me and pressed. Tells you something doesnt it? I wanted to follow but my car hasnt reached the 1000 km barrier...

MKIII 138
new gti 197hp or older one at 150hp ? ive been suprised for a few seconds against a 150 one in my last 172 but after the torque party trick the 172 came on cam and pulled much harder but still for a few seconds i didnt think id get passed. so by that token id imagine a new GTI (even though they are silly heavy) would be faster than a 182 and nothing to do with the basic power to weight its the fact that these new 2.0 TFSI`s put out loads of torque and running BP ultimate have been recorded by magazines to put out 50lbft more than stock !!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
my personal view...... i'd love a golf to look at and put nice wheels on, tune it all up etc, but to actually enjoy the thrill of driving, nothing comes close to a clio sport.

E91 M Sport
172 would be faster, unless the Golf was chipped. 172 would handle better too. That should be all you need to know.

tiTTy & SV650
even if the golf is chipped to 180 / 190 brake the 172 / 182 will be quicker and handle a hell of a lot better.

RenaultSport clio 17
rory182 said:
even if the golf is chipped to 180 / 190 brake the 172 / 182 will be quicker and handle a hell of a lot better.

True. But them Golfs are well built. And look great with some new low profile wheels on. What I want is the looks of the GTI and the performance of the 172.

It is not fear.

tiTTy & SV650
My mate has one running 190brake and he hates it. Each to their own, I think u'd probably get bored of it quite quickly. But if you are prepared to add coilovers or whatever maybe it wont be so bad.

Anniversary edition looks good, and Ali's dads R32 is lovely.

MKIII 138
some people want fat rides, thier mates are impressed with thier RS6 replica rims and lowered with black`d rear lights etc. they would own a MK5 gti is they could afford or an S3 as yes these cars are silly well built and superquiet on the move also tunable, i couldnt think of a more uninvolving drive TBH though as they weigh more than you`d think. thing is your mates wont be impressed with a clio, and certain types of girls wont be either.
btw on a side note my dad just sold a very poorly looked after 1.2 polo of around 1995 age with rusty everything externally inside had NO rattles !!!!!!!! this is an absolute s**t heap VW thats 11 years old with way over 100k miles and has not 1 rattle at the back or front ! my first 172MKII brand new had rattles within 2 months of owning, also i cant stress how well it drove (not performance) and how quiet it was on the move. if build and refinement is on the priorty list dont hesitate to get a polo or a golf or even a bora (saloon golf) you can pick them up at good price`s etc a really nice sensible choice, but if you want to step out of boring used car world for a moment dont consider owning one for fun driving.

ohh about the 200hp comment to keep with a 172/182 i actually think this is why vw masked the increased LBFT HP figures for the new golf gti so as to keep insurance down (not once did the vw make less than 207bhp) and tax but when tested by journo`s it would seem impressivley fast. it was really close to the megane sport in autocar 0-100-0 test yet the megane trophy is 100kg lighter and has better traction and 22bhp more + 10lbft more ?!?
i think a MK4 gti with 200hp would still struggle due to weight seen as a 182 can hang with wrx`s (same weight as golf) at 222hp until way above legal speeds.

220hp MK4 gti will be same as 182cup and a tad faster above say 110, but to get another 70bhp out of the 1.8T will cost about £1500 and push insurance up (also reduce reliability unless you wann go serious with IHI turbo`s etc..)

basically dont bother with one.

Last edited:
  172 Cup, Clio 197
We have both cars 172 cup and a Gti Turbo, the build quality of the golf is much better ie leather seats, doesn't rattle ect... however from standstill compared to the Cup is quite slow (8.2 0-60) due to turbo lag, but once the turbo is spinning it's not bad. 1.8 T has alot of potential for extra power. also depends what you want out a car???
Comfort and reliability and willing to spend money : Golf
fun and handling and power out of the packet : 172 :rasp: :p

172 Cup, Clio 197
We have both cars 172 cup and a Gti Turbo, the build quality of the golf is much better ie leather seats, doesn't rattle ect... however from standstill compared to the Cup is quite slow (8.2 0-60) due to turbo lag, but once the turbo is spinning it's not bad. 1.8 T has alot of potential for extra power. also depends what you want out a car???
Comfort and reliability and willing to spend money : Golf
fun and handling and power out of the packet : 172

MKIII 138
the last two posts basically say what i said so disregard their comments put the kettle on and read my novel (or the last line as mike pointed out lol lol) :D :D

fiesta turbo/Golf 1.8t
Blinkers!!!
The golfs are pretty quick as standard and for little money you can get them upto 225bhp.
How much would you have to spend on a clio to get that power?

Resale value - Golf
Build quality - Golf
reliablity - Golf

I like both cars equally, but the golf is the better car IMHO

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
for the golf gti the revo chip does wonders for the acceleration but stil lack the handling fun factor of a clio imo.

MKIII 138
SHORTIE 1.4 said:
Blinkers!!!
The golfs are pretty quick as standard and for little money you can get them upto 225bhp.

Resale value - Golf
Build quality - Golf
reliablity - Golf

yea knowone will argue the otherwise m8 and it was pointed out by everyone about the superior build and refinement, big deal for us we dont care about that stuff at all the golf is not fun ! we dont own french girly supermini`s for our image do we now and we dont own them for longevity or build quality or refinement either lol.

il do some checking as to how much it cost to make a 150hp golf 225 hang on...

yea its about £400 for 205hp so squeezing another 15 out should only require a £500 turboback exhaust and or intercooler so not £1500 as i said but about £1000-£1200 in total...
then £800 for H&R coilovers, a further £500 for replica audi wheels, forgetting any alighnment or tracking + fitting costs also.

as mentioned unless refinement, space, build are a priority over fun frugel driving then dont bother. a tweaked 185-190hp cup will stay with most 240-250bhp saloons/heavy hatchbacks anyway`s

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172 Ph2
actually mk4s rattle alot. there crap. I work for vw so i do know. I think renaults less rattly. other than rattles there better build wise yes, especially mk5s, which still rattle. Older cars do sometimes rattle less!

172 Cup, Clio 197
RobHardyUK said:
actually mk4s rattle alot. there crap. I work for vw so i do know. I think renaults less rattly. other than rattles there better build wise yes, especially mk5s, which still rattle. Older cars do sometimes rattle less!

Definately not, the only rattle in our golf is the loose cd cases in the glove box! Unfortunately my cup rattles left right and centre!

MKIII 138
if i had two cars, one for fun and one for family i still wouldnt own one. (id just own a 225 megane lol) TBH id own a GT150PD diesel, they REALLY shift enough to scare a 172 as standard in gear, id get one remapped to 190-200hp with 310lbft (about 380nm i think) id have decent economy then.

again a clio is frugal fun a fatty turbo petrol golf is for what ?

fiesta turbo/Golf 1.8t
meggerman said:
yea knowone will argue the otherwise m8 and it was pointed out by everyone about the superior build and refinement, big deal for us we dont care about that stuff at all the golf is not fun ! we dont own french girly supermini`s for our image do we now and we dont own them for longevity or build quality or refinement either lol.

il do some checking as to how much it cost to make a 150hp golf 225 hang on...

yea its about £400 for 205hp so squeezing another 15 out should only require a £500 turboback exhaust and or intercooler so not £1500 as i said but about £1000-£1200 in total...
then £800 for H&R coilovers, a further £500 for replica audi wheels, forgetting any alighnment or tracking + fitting costs also.

as mentioned unless refinement, space, build are a priority over fun frugel driving then dont bother. a tweaked 185-190hp cup will stay with most 240-250bhp saloons/heavy hatchbacks anyway`s

Its not clear in the first thread what the bloke wants out of the car, i admit the clio is more fun.
Where as the golf has a more of a grown up sensible image.

If i was spending that sort of money id buy a golf tdi....torque torque and more torque :D

172 Cup, Clio 197
meggerman said:
if i had two cars, one for fun and one for family i still wouldnt own one. (id just own a 225 megane lol) TBH id own a GT150PD diesel, they REALLY shift enough to scare a 172 as standard in gear, id get one remapped to 190-200hp with 310lbft (about 380nm i think) id have decent economy then.

again a clio is frugal fun a fatty turbo petrol golf is for what ?

The golf was bought as a family car (cause its safe and has 4 doors) and the gttdi 150bhp is slower than the 1.8T, I've read the handbook, its like 8.4 0-60 and 132 top end, or roughly those figures. A 225 megane costs a lot more than a 1.8T aswell.

If you want the luxery of the golf, then get an audi a3 1.8T sport

RenaultSport clio 17
meggerman said:
some people want fat rides, thier mates are impressed with thier RS6 replica rims and lowered with black`d rear lights etc. they would own a MK5 gti is they could afford or an S3 as yes these cars are silly well built and superquiet on the move also tunable, i couldnt think of a more uninvolving drive TBH though as they weigh more than you`d think. thing is your mates wont be impressed with a clio, and certain types of girls wont be either.
btw on a side note my dad just sold a very poorly looked after 1.2 polo of around 1995 age with rusty everything externally inside had NO rattles !!!!!!!! this is an absolute sh*t heap VW thats 11 years old with way over 100k miles and has not 1 rattle at the back or front ! my first 172MKII brand new had rattles within 2 months of owning, also i cant stress how well it drove (not performance) and how quiet it was on the move. if build and refinement is on the priorty list dont hesitate to get a polo or a golf or even a bora (saloon golf) you can pick them up at good price`s etc a really nice sensible choice, but if you want to step out of boring used car world for a moment dont consider owning one for fun driving.

ohh about the 200hp comment to keep with a 172/182 i actually think this is why vw masked the increased LBFT HP figures for the new golf gti so as to keep insurance down (not once did the vw make less than 207bhp) and tax but when tested by journo`s it would seem impressivley fast. it was really close to the megane sport in autocar 0-100-0 test yet the megane trophy is 100kg lighter and has better traction and 22bhp more + 10lbft more ?!?
i think a MK4 gti with 200hp would still struggle due to weight seen as a 182 can hang with wrx`s (same weight as golf) at 222hp until way above legal speeds.

220hp MK4 gti will be same as 182cup and a tad faster above say 110, but to get another 70bhp out of the 1.8T will cost about £1500 and push insurance up (also reduce reliability unless you wann go serious with IHI turbo`s etc..)

basically dont bother with one.

Do you know what. After reading all that. I think I am going too get a Mk2 172. You make very good reading. And some very true points between the cars.

RenaultSport clio 17
SHORTIE 1.4 said:
Blinkers!!!

Resale value - Golf
Build quality - Golf
reliablity - Golf

Dam i had the 172 down. But now. WHAT!

172 Cup, Clio 197
as I said I love my cup its a fun car, but as you didn't say want you want from a car its hard to say which one is best for you. If you wanna drive round with a smile on your face get the cup!

LY 200
Well me, my mate in his 172, his mate in a mk4 golf 2.8 4wd v6 and another mate in his s3 have all been out playing tonight.

I played with the s3 but not the golf, my mate did play with the golf though and he managed to stay infront of him til a higher speed....I would say one of the v6 have got to be quicker than the 1.8t so your answer the 172 probably is quicker.

172 Cup, Clio 197
It is quicker than the golf, no doubt, look at my cars, the cup is immensely faster than the golf, if the golf had a smaller turbo it would probably be a lot quicker.

But then the golf is an easy car to drive, everything is light. I don't rate it on fuel neither, I reckon I get more mpg out of the cup easily.

Nissan 350Z
Theres no such car as an R36.

My mates got a chipped Golf 1.8T. Its quite fast, but I wouldnt really say it was any faster than mine TBH, and its definitely a lot duller.

172 Cup, Clio 197
  MKIII 138
leekirlew said:
Get your facts right before you try and flame me out, it comes out sometime next year with a 3.6 engine, around 300bhp, different steering and suspension.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/66731/vws_current_car_set_to_go_out_with_a_bang.html

kind of proves a point usefull for this discusion though its 300 bhp and 0-60 in 6 seconds ?! thats one heavy hatchback, the 182cup has been timed by autocar at 6.3 and the 172 cup officially is 6.5-6.8 etc.. obviously top end will eat a 172 /182 but at least it gives some idea as to weight a VW golf with 4wd and a 3.6 v6 it must weight over 1500kg`s !

also the diesel GT150pd specs are misleading, a 150gti 1.8T would lose out to a 150PD in a straight line as like all new PD engines they push more power than factory claimed (as i mentioned with the petrol gti) and on average a PD 150 is more like 160hp and torque is very large remapping yeild massive torque gain also. you claimed 0-60 in 8.4 for the PD150 when after visiting some VW forums a while back there was a few stock cars timed around 7.6-7.8 nearly a second quicker and thats before remap. just thougt id clear that up.

waynepixel cheers m8 at least some appreciates my waffling, i just like to get all my thoughts out at once instead of spreading them over 5 pages with one line replies (well if im interested in the subject) :D

mixed bags..........golf turbo , better top end imo. play both , id go 4 the turbo and some mods :star:

Mk1 V6 Import
My Mk4 GTi anniversary has NO rattles and the build qaulity is second to none as with any German car....100 Ibft more torque than the 172 as well.....and more torque than my V6......it will pull away from a 172/182 until they come on cam and even then in the real world a 172/182 and even the V6will struggle to sail past until silly speeds...