ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 V Golf GTI Turbo

172 mk2...with clima
Tim Lennox said:
My Mk4 GTi anniversary has NO rattles and the build qaulity is second to none as with any German car....

and so it bloody should be for what they cost. I can't believe no-one has pointed out the price difference yet....

Tim Lennox said:
it will pull away from a 172/182 until they come on cam

...which is straight away. Its not a turbo, we don't have to wait for it.

I must say i find it comical on a site about performance cars, talking about the differences between performance cars, and someone brings up build quality. As soon as they do you know they have admitted their car isn't as good as the other performance car in question. They have just said 'yeah, fine, my car doesn't handle as well but at least the doors make a nice sound when you shut them!' :D

I mean, who cares about build quality? I sure as hell don't; i bought a Renault! But for the money it can't be beat as a hot hatch....

172 mk2...with clima
SHORTIE 1.4 said:
Blinkers!!!
The golfs are pretty quick as standard and for little money you can get them upto 225bhp.
How much would you have to spend on a clio to get that power?

Resale value - Golf
Build quality - Golf
reliablity - Golf

I like both cars equally, but the golf is the better car IMHO

Purchase price - clio
'fun factor' - clio
performance and handling out of the box - clio

works both ways.....

MKIII 138
^^ agree tbh, i couldnt give a shite about build quality its not why i bought one. externally the cup looks miles better than a golf new or old and internally well its just crap is the clio.

Black Gold 182
Golf is more luxurious and def not as much fun as the Clio. If you're a fan of Audi, VW and cars with similiar build, go for the GTi. Otherwise the Clio is a much different car, looks and feels sportier.

About the R36, its double the price of the 172 and more. A tuned up clio will be faster and still cost less.

172 Cup, Clio 197
Papercup said:
and so it bloody should be for what they cost. I can't believe no-one has pointed out the price difference yet....

...which is straight away. Its not a turbo, we don't have to wait for it.

I must say i find it comical on a site about performance cars, talking about the differences between performance cars, and someone brings up build quality. As soon as they do you know they have admitted their car isn't as good as the other performance car in question. They have just said 'yeah, fine, my car doesn't handle as well but at least the doors make a nice sound when you shut them!' :D

I mean, who cares about build quality? I sure as hell don't; i bought a Renault! But for the money it can't be beat as a hot hatch....

As I said in my first post, I've got both and I'm just giving a pro's and con's of each, depends what you want, our gti is a family car, if we have smash with our toddler in the car, i'd much rather be in the golf!

But I love my cup!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
All this talk of who's who eh,i dont know.My mate has a 12 year old VR6 and after 80 it used to pull away from my 182 and it had 134k on the clock...
Its up to you really,ones better built and one aint

ian

A Fast One!
E-ray_172 said:
for the golf gti the revo chip does wonders for the acceleration but stil lack the handling fun factor of a clio imo.

too right 50bhp for £500...... you cant go wrong with that as a mod for a Golf with Revo!

saying that i test drove the 180bhp version of the mk4 GTI T and found it boring....... i ended up buying a Civic Type R instead, which is far from boring!

from the point of view of the clio its a great little car, feels quite raw in terms of accelleration and performance for its size and it handles fantastically! the clio never fails to put a smile on my face when im driving it but although i have the cup i still have me head turned a lot more by other cars on the road that offer the same performance but are better looking imo!

the cup is staying for a while though as its so much fun to drive!

Alex

MKIII 138
put the cup on H&R`s and it doubles the fun m8 you`d have to spend £££££ to get more genuine fun from a standard performance car.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
personally if i was getting a golf it'd be a diesel... get it chipped and your away! 200+bhp and equally impressive torque gains!

Cheaper to run and more reliable... i couldn't put ma clio down tho, too much fun!

Turbos.
I couldn't blame anyone for having a Golf as it's nice owning a car you don't have to worry about, whereas with my Clio i'm always thinking whats going to go wrong next!

The handling is dire though, the Clio isn't in a different league, it's in a whole different sport ;)

R

rich[182]

I'd never taken to Golf's until my wife got one 3 months ago, got a 1 year old 2.0 GT TDI (140bhp i think) and im impressed
handling is great, not much body roll (certainly much less than my 172) and brakes are good
The torque is amazing, throttle response and pickup from low revs in any gear is fantastic, I'd say that from low revs it picks up better than my 172 in 3rd/4th/5th, ive just driven it on a 300 mile trip this past weekend and even in 6th on motorway it pulls from nothing, really impressed with mid-range, debadge one of these and get it chipped would give you a bit of a sleeper imho

182BG
The big question is... are you going to track it???
if you are then the Cup will be the best choice.
IMO if i wanted performance/handling i would go for the cup (hence why i bought 2)
But the golf looks awesome with a nice set of wheels, i love the look of them. Plus you can get huge gains for pennies.

If you live in an area like mine, you won't actually have a chance to see how fun the clio can be.

Basically you have gotta look at what you really want from a car, then go out and test drive both (if you can) then go and buy something completely different. lol

But seriously, its your choice mate. Both are cracking cars

Lee

Buy a Mk 4 Golf, realise it's a slow heavy piece of s**t and then go and get a 172. Better still, get a Trophy, a bit more cash up front but will hold their value better than a standard 182. And a s**t load better than a Mk 5 Golf GTI, think how many of those you've seen on the roads. And it looks better and it's quicker around corners and let's face it, we're not yanks are we? As Stirling Moss said, the straights are just the boring bit's that connect the corners. Besides 0-100-0 in 22 seconds is pretty good-going for a £15.5K car.

R

rich[182]

^re frs
one sold locally recently, 1 owner from new, standard, 15k miles, went for less than £14.5k too due to needing v quick sale, bargain or what