ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 vs. Megane R26 insurance prices..

340i
HOW CAN THEY BE SOOOO DIFFERENT :S

I pay £530 fully comprehensive, all mods declared, GF on the policy, low excess etc. for the 172.

Called Adrian Flux today to enquire about the price of an R26... who I have been with for the past 3 years, always given been a great renewal price, waited 15minutes on the phone and there response was:

"sorry cant insure you on the Megane"

"Oh what is the reason for that?"

"Age, value of car, and group... sorry"

bbzzzz... Then the woman hung up on me LOL

How can a vehicle that is 1 insurance group higher, same brand of car, simlear style (RenaultSport) be so different to not even get a quote? :S

Nimbus R26r
22, had license for 5 years inc 5 years ncb, had the r26 with admiral for £850 that was at 20. I pay £454 on the r now at 22.

BMW M135i
In all fairness ignoring the we won't quote you bit, its always going to be a good chunk difference considering a ph1 is 9/10 years old and worth peanuts against a 3.5yr old car tops which is worth at least 10k.

I pay £800 all mods declared, 22 5ncb which I thought was fine given the situation. I'm only guessing the dude above is in a better postcode than I am!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
try brent acre, my r26 with mods upto 275bhp (if i want them) is only 230 quid mroe a year than my 200 (with all mods)

lynden

340i
I would be happy with £800

I am 22yr old, 4yr NCB... So around the same!

I'll be calling Flux tomorrow morning and speaking with them again!!

LY R26
my 172 was £550 with flux, phoned for a quote on the R26 and they couldnt quote me through my current insurer but found one that would and it was £1450!

i did an online quote on greenlight, replied next day £870 FC, so i took that and cancelled with flux.

age 23, 4yrs ncb, license held for 4 yrs

My Clio (1.2 with cosmetic mods) was 850 with 3NCB. My S3 (standard) with 4NCB is 750.

Explain that one to me.

340i
Dear Mr Gray

We would like to thank you for applying through our website for a motor insurance quotation.
We have referred your information to our Underwriters and are able to offer you the following quotation in respect of your Renault Megane Sport R26.
Package Price
£1472.70 inc 5% insurance premium tax
Policy Excess
£600 Accidental Damage, Fire and Theft
Cover
Comprehensive

So basically £940 more than the Clio... WTF?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Dear Mr Gray

We would like to thank you for applying through our website for a motor insurance quotation.
We have referred your information to our Underwriters and are able to offer you the following quotation in respect of your Renault Megane Sport R26.
Package Price
£1472.70 inc 5% insurance premium tax
Policy Excess
£600 Accidental Damage, Fire and Theft
Cover
Comprehensive

So basically £940 more than the Clio... WTF?

Your a young driver, it's a much newer, pricier, more powerful car. Makes sense?

340i
yeah I understand all that.... I just honestly had the idea in my head "oh it will only be a bit extra" :(

340i
Thats what I DO NOT UNDERSTAND... The Clio is £540 fully comp, modded up y0, 12000miles a year

But Flux wont even touch me on a Megane RS

1 Series Coupe
I'm 21 and insure my R26 for just under £900 with Elephant.
Fully Comp
4 Years NCB.
Clean License.

The 182 renewal came in at just over 1k!!

340i
I'm 21 and insure my R26 for just under £900 with Elephant.
Fully Comp
4 Years NCB.
Clean License.

The 182 renewal came in at just over 1k!!

pfffrrrttt :dead:

I am going to give Flux a call today, whine like a little b**ch and see what they can "do" for me

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
My megane is a fair bit cheeper to insure than my 172 cup used to be.
The cup was modded tho.
My r26 costs about £350 fc. £40 more than my mazda 6 diesel was :s
Im quite old tho with 9 years ncb and 0 points

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Must be the area, I can't think it will be anything else. I wouldn't have thought it would be much more than the 172, unless it is because its seen as a more desirable car and you are in a "bad area"!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Nope not a bad area at all... Good post code / Low risk area :)

None of this makes any sense to me then! Try brentarce they were very good for me. I live in a really bad area and am £800 ish on the cup. I'm 24 and 3 years NCB. 0 points, 1 none fault accident! No-one came close except elephant.

340i
Sorted.... £950 with Admiral online, will give them a call and see if they can "amend" the price anymore

Nimbus Megane R26
i was paying £850ish on my 182 with directline and now they want £1450 to upgrade to an R26. wtf.

24 / driving 5 years / 4 years NCD / no accidents or claims / good'ish area.

Waiting to hear back from greenlight, hope they are cheaper! Cheapest i got so far is just over 1k with churchill.

edit. greenlight cant insure my area, bs.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
You tried getting a quote off flux for a modded R26? I found that their quotes were awful for standard cars, yet if you told them it had an induction kit or something it dropped massively!

Evo 8 MR
Gray it's probably just the insurer that your with atm, if you call Flux again and explain that you aren't bothered about switching insurers I'm sure thats what it is.

By doing that it's no different to applying to a different company yourself though as you'll have to pay a deposit and all that.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Tbh, Flux have you over a barrel as their cancellation charges are so ridiculous ... i have to pay £600 a year for my 182 Trophy, at 28, with 6 years no-claims!! Purely as i was 4 months into my policy on the saxo & would have pretty much lost the whole lot if i moved elsewhere ...

At least you're old enough for places to quote, most places tell me to sod off on anything like a Megane until I'm 21.

Stranger than that, nowhere seems to want to quote me on an EP3 Civic Type R until I'm 21, yet the 172 and 200 they have no problem with, when they're pretty much both as fast as each other?

MR2 Mk1.5
Sorted.... £950 with Admiral online, will give them a call and see if they can "amend" the price anymore

EDIT, was going to see if you had tried my company but just saw you were posting this a few weeks ago so I'll assume you are sorted, maybe bare us in mind for next year.

320d
Insurance prices seem to be getting worse. I got a quote on a ph1 172 for nearly £4K yesterday 20, 3 years licence, 2 NCB. Last year I could get a quote with 1 less of everything (age, experience and ncb) for just under £2K.

I'm never paying over £1K for insurance again. I've done it twice now for Clios, not again.