ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172- Which is better- phase 1 or phase 2? Discuss...

K

kpmatthews@gmail.com

hi, i've read the phase 2 is slightly slower than the phase 1, but more refined, (or boring?) does the phase 2 have more usable power throughout the range than the phase 1?
are all phase 1 interiors blue and grey?
does either phase have a fully adjustable steering wheel?
i've read the phase 1 is squeaky/rattly- this true? is the phase 2 bettwe put together?
is it worth paying the premium for a phase 2? both look nice in their own unique ways.
does one phase do something alot better than the other?
i've read the stock performance figures, but i've also read these are somewhat inaccurate. has anyone put a stock clio on an RR, or blasted the OEM 0-60 time?

that kind of thing. i did a search but couldnt find anything on differences.
thanks, kristian :clown:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
phase 1's are better. there are loads of people on here that had them, upgraded to a newer 182 and are now wanting to go to a ph-1!

phase 1's are better. there are loads of people on here that had them, upgraded to a newer 182 and are now wanting to go to a ph-1!

I have had a ph 2 172 and currently have a ph 1 172. If i had driven the Ph 1 before buying the ph 2 i wouldnt have bothered with the ph 2.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
To name but a few, Justin (above), Rory 182, fubar....the list goes on!

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Ph1 is suppose to be more of a driver's car, and I think it might be.

It looks either meaner and cooler or uglier, depending on your opinion.

Interior is worse though.

BMW E46 330i Touring
The Ph1 seems to be entering a bit of 'cult' status at the moment, with everyone wanting one. People couldn't get rid of them quick enough 18months ago.

I've only ever test driven a 182 once, so can't really compare, but I love my Ph1, think I'd only swap it for a Vee (out of the Clio range...)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
How is the ph1 better! Its the same bloody car. Marginally lighter and a cable throttle. It's all in your head! Mk2 looks better and interior is a hell of alot better.

Ph-old is just that dated and most have a million and one miles on them!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How is the ph1 better! Its the same bloody car. Marginally lighter and a cable throttle. It's all in your head! Mk2 looks better and interior is a hell of alot better.

Fortunately, you're scottish so your opinion doesn't count for much. ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Fortunately, you're scottish so your opinion doesn't count for much. ;)

Fortuneately or unfortunately! ;) - Bloody english!

If i could do it again, i'd have a cup, looks best, quickest, strip it and you've got the best of both worlds.

Failing that...just buy a vee! ;)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Having a ph2 but working on quite a lot of ph1 i would have to have a ph2 everytime climate control is nice and the interior is nice to be in. Ph1 do feel quicker but now with most of them in the 70k+ miles the clutches are hard the accelerators stiff you have to have strong legs lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
Standard Ph1 and Ph2 172, Cup aside, the Ph1 is marginally quicker because it's lighter. Not enough that a difference in driver ability wouldn't amend for, but it still is.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Never driven a ph1 but the fact it doesn't have bloody drive by wire must be a good thing.

172 cup is techinally the quickest car, but there is so little between all of them it makes very little difference. Cant comment on handling of them all as I have only ever driven a cup packed 182.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ive always liked ph1s and the fact that I hated a few of the gadgets about the ph2 confirmed it! Dash is a lot nicer in ph2s though.

Would have to be
V6
Ph1
Trophy
Cup
FF

53 Clio's & counting
its all personal preference really i mean i ike the ph1s as i own one,but i used to hate the look:

DSC00522.jpg

see i like this,but many people will think its ugly,i dont like the colour of my interior but iv got used to it and i really not bothered by it

Scirocco GT 210
Ph1s don't photograph well, they look so much better in the metal, much more presence about them IMO.

Interior is s**t yes, but the ph2 interior is just a newer kind of s**t. If you're that bothered by a car's interior you wouldn't be buying a bottom-of-the-line Renault.

Never driven anything other than a ph1 but I honestly can't see the others being that much different, all very similar cars.

Can't go wrong with any of them to be honest if you're after a cheap hot hatch. Go for the one you like the look of the best or can afford.

To name but a few, Justin (above), Rory 182, fubar....the list goes on!

indeed. Speed wise, not much in it at all... but purely as a drivers car the Ph1 is the better choice. You feel more connected to the road, and also the car gave so much more feedback than my 182.

Like i said speed wise, there's nothing in it. Handling wise, again not much in it as my 182 handles fantastic... but for pure driving pleasure give me my 172 back any day!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i own a phase1 i had a phase 2 before all be it a 1.2, the dash is alot better in the ph2 but i think the ph1 is better all round and the cable throttle is a winner!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
it has fly by wire,
its all computer controled, you press the throttle the computer sends a signal to the ecu, rather than the good old cable

it uses 'fly by wire' throttle control... basically uses an electrical signal to open the throttle which creates a small but noticeable delay in response.

VaVa
It isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. If you read any review on the 172/Cup you'll see there are always positive comments about the sensitve throttle.

And at least you'll never have to change the cable. Which is a common fault on ph1 172's.