ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 182 0-100-0 (autocar)

MINI JCW

good time for the 182 it blew the Fiesta St away by 4 secs to 100

0-60 6.49

0-100 16.74

total time of around 21.5 secs, pretty impressive, just got pipped my the megange trophy and the golf GTI

[Edited by gazcaddy on 30 June 2005 at 12:55pm]

C4 Grand Picasso

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 30 June 2005
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1667864,00.html">http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1667864,00.html quite interesting

"He simply selected second, dropped the clutch and disappeared. On this surface we’d have been stunned if it had hit 60mph in 3.1sec but, when all six runs were completed, these were the numbers we were faced with: the “slow” run into the wind took 2.94sec, the return just 2.88sec, to give an average 0-60mph of 2.91sec."

Holy crap - that sounds ace, the Atom defo makes my wish list

Yaris Hybrid

The Atom aint so hot, in the real world with a reasonably experienced driver (Clarkson) and with real world driving (i.e. not driving such that the clutch will last five minutes) it was blown away off the line by a CBR600 on Top Gear. Your GSXR should see one off in a straight line no problem assuming you have a fairly recent model.

Getting my bike Saturday morning. Just a Bandit 6 but will be getting an SV650S in the spring and either a GSXR or a CBR when I ditch my car in 2 years time.

Even so between now and spring the lowly Bandit will make mince meat out of my 182 lol.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 30 June 2005

The Atom aint so hot, in the real world with a reasonably experienced driver (Clarkson) and with real world driving (i.e. not driving such that the clutch will last five minutes) it was blown away off the line by a CBR600 on Top Gear. Your GSXR should see one off in a straight line no problem assuming you have a fairly recent model.

Getting my bike Saturday morning. Just a Bandit 6 but will be getting an SV650S in the spring and either a GSXR or a CBR when I ditch my car in 2 years time.

Even so between now and spring the lowly Bandit will make mince meat out of my 182 lol.
dont forget the atom featured on top gear had around 200hp i believe the atom in this test has miles more torque constantly avaliable from a supercharger and 300 BHP !! so no that 100 extra ponies + torque on a lightweight car is equivelent to around another 300bhp at lest.

anyways thats off topic back on topic .....................

saying that the clio was pipped by the GTI golf DSG is unfair as it was 0.03 difference as far as i recall and the 182 was faster to 60mph. the 182 would corners quicker than a golf GTI also. any slight wind difference would have turned the outcome on the 182s favour.

both are totally and uttlery equally matched but its important to remember that the clio was a 182 CUP so 20kgs lighter and had lighter still recaros so it was the ultimate clio in terms of power to weight.

16.74 to 100 mph in a car that costs 10995 new from internet and less than 13k list is awesome and blows away its supermini competion including the cooper S and i expect the clio would have been faster 0-100-0 than a CTR.

as far as the silly bandit comment goes they only do 120mph (182 - 140mph) they are ideal for beginners and a cheap bike good for touring there is no way a 182cup couldnt corner faster i know this as a work collegue has had a bandit for years and years and hes a motorbike instructor.

ive kept pace for a short while with some bike and on corners easily been faster (konis help) however its up to the rider if they want to die or get round a corner safely so potencial speed doesnt mean actual speed.

the atom has over 600bhp per tonne !!! more than most cars with 800bhp so it will be faster than a 600cc bike. just not a 175bhp insane GSXR which is so fast its actually dangerous.. even then the atom was faster to sixty it has huge power and lots of rubber to put the power down with.

the gsxr has 1060bhp per tonne so close to F1 cars if you tuned to 200hp it may have more power than an F1.

Yaris Hybrid

What bikes have you kept pace with? A Cub 90? My 182 couldnt beat my old 1978 Honda twin that I rebuilt out of scrap for about £140 back in 1994!

Bikes are a bit odd, they accelerate really fast then just suddenly stop dead as they have a very high power to weight but reletively low power and cant beat the wind resistance. Cars accelerate really slowly but keep accelerating to higher speeds. Ride Magazine tested the SV650 (cheap sports-tourer) to 100 in 9.3 seconds but they only recorded 121 top speed! Bandit is about a second and a half slower to 100 but they got 131 out of it (more power but more weight).

Cant say I have had my Clio over 125 (130 indicated) to be honest but I would have fallen asleep by the time it gets to 100 were it not for the fact that it so slow as to give you time to ponder the full implications of losing your licence!

Anyway the GSXR is easily affordable especially when you consider than the GSXR or Atom would have to be a second vehicle. The GSXR will fit in my shed too so I think the Atom is a dream where as the bike is a reality if you live long enough!
Kinda happy to stick with the Bandit for now tho as I need to refresh my skills first. I am not a power ranger/fair weather rider hammering up and down the ring road on half a dozen sunny sundays a year like most of these sports bike guys. Ive always ridden all year in all conditions and on all roads and there is more skill to that than slipping into Rossi replica leathers a few times a year...

My Suzuki details.

2005 GSXR1000.

Just £9,000 new

Mods. came to £2000.

190bhp and 95ft/lbs (crankshaft figures).

0-100 in 5.5 seconds. Top speed 200mph. 165kgs only.

I did 188mph genuine on a track recently. 100mph in first !!!

TOYPOP. Bikes dont suddenly stop going if they have a lot of power and a good shape.

Id rather have an atom than a GSXR. You got a slightly higher chance of surviving an accident in the atom. Doesnt matter how safe a rider/driver you are, you cant make the other muppets on the road drive better. If someone pulls out on you as you doing say 70mph on a bike and you hit them, well, lets just say id rather have the atoms cage around me.

Well I am still here, after around 250,000 miles on motorcycles.

I agree, you are more vulnerable on a bike but you also fit into a smaller space and there is less of you to hit. You are also a lot quicker getting out of trouble than in a car.

The Atom also costs three times what the Suzuki did.

the other night i was all over a ducati. i am glad you guys have posted this- i didnt know about the bike power/ weight/ torque issues. i just thought he wasnt really trying. i was quicker in corners and he really had to work hard. i think that we have to remember that although clarkson is an experienced driver hes large, not necessarily got good reaction time or able to move freely to gear change quickly in the cockpit. equally not all riders are built like rossi. i have pitched my car against a 172 cup( i have a 182) and he was a tiny young guy. he was slightly quicker. fat men are harder to kidnap and light people are faster.

i have driven an atom, it is great fun to drive but way too extreme really. like the guy who put a spitfire engine on a bike. it worked, really well. but it couldnt corner, stop or crawl. makes it not really fast day to day whereas the clo blows away most things when you drive it at 8/10ths. lots of fun

With respect, a well-ridden Ducati, say a 999, would murder a Clio 182, in the corners and especially on the straights, where it has but 2 cylinders and under 1000cc, but has similar 0-170 as a top Ferrari or Lamborghini and handles brilliantly.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 01 July 2005

With respect, a well-ridden Ducati, say a 999, would murder a Clio 182, in the corners and especially on the straights, where it has but 2 cylinders and under 1000cc, but has similar 0-170 as a top Ferrari or Lamborghini and handles brilliantly.
Not always the case mate.Dont get me wrong a well driven road bike against a 182 would be no contest,but move the game up a bit and its all over for the bike.A novice rider and half decent driver would draw the balance closer.

Dont forget the superbikes only lap a circuit as quick as a porche challenge car and there not exactly at the top of the driving tree are they?.,once you move up the scale the bikes get destroyed.

ian

182 w/cup susp

Quote: Originally posted by Vee Six on 01 July 2005

Agreed on the staights part but the car would win around corners against any bike Im afraid, I have a 10 year old Triumph Speed Triple and it would murder my 182 in a straight line. The 182 would have it around corners but would be too far behind to catch up.

Having said that, my bike cannot keep up with a 600 sports bike from 80 up as it is unfaired and the wind resistance is too much. You have to spend upwards of £45K on a car to keep up with any bike, never mind a big sports bike.

Lee

BMW M2C

I once had a little play with a guy on a GSX-R 1000. He absolutely annihilated me on the straights, but across a large roundabout I was able to out brake him and then corner a lot quicker allowing me to pull a small gap, as soon as we cleared it he sped past me like Id selected reverse.

Exchanged nods at the next roundabout. :D

Pretty good article in autocar. Certainly appears to have been done under pretty well controlled circumstances.