ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 *DIY* Alloy wheel refurb

Renault Clio182 bean
My alloy wheels were looking very tired and battered (previous owner never bothered with refurb).
I have driven around with them for 10 months and didn't want to pay £££ for a decent refurb so thought I would give it a go myself.

I decided to spray them a darker shade than the standard colour as my car is Inferno Orange and darker wheels look nice against that colour. I went with the Ford Graphite Grey after much research lol.

Before (as you can see I tried touch up as a temporary measure):

DSC_0106_zps25150093.jpg

DSC_0107_zpse81f93d0.jpg

DSC_0108_zpsd8ab88f0.jpg

DSC_0109_zps29245ac4.jpg

The preparation took ages :dead:, after sanding down the burrs in the metal using 400 grit I then switched to 800 then 1200 and 2000 grit wet and dry.

DSC_0111_zps0a5b6e8f.jpg

DSC_0112_zps6c582e6e.jpg

DSC_0114_zps045fe06f.jpg

Filling the dents and scatches, I decided to use davids isopon car body filler as it keys well and is easy to sand back, again saded using 400,800,1200,2000 grit

DSC_0119_zpsc1489291.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsc5c84fcd.jpg

DSC_0121_zpsa8cc742d.jpg

DSC_0123_zpsfeb70351.jpg

DSC_0125_zps0cd6edcf.jpg

DSC_0127_zps5c8c1c76.jpg

Primer and paint and laquer stage, I applied 3 coats of primer an sanded back its coat to ensure a smooth surface (took long then I anticipated lol), then 3 coats of paint and laquer

DSC_0134_zpsfee36cd2.jpg

DSC_0137_zpsb80bb0b6.jpg

DSC_0141_zpseb397142.jpg

DSC_0147_zpse801710e.jpg

Not forgetting the wheel center caps:

DSC_0158_zps8c539f21.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsc504fb79.jpg

DSC_0167_zps9c70b476.jpg

DSC_0173_zps33e05f66.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsa42b1498.jpg

That's it, did all four obviously. Took a few days to do all four wheels around my working hours aswell. To my surprise they are near perfect, anybody that didn't see my paint them doesnt believe I did them lol.

Last edited:

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I love it when a plan comes together. The problem is that it is such a pain in the arse to know when its perfect it is a nightmare.

I did similar on my 182 spare wheel...but in my opinion it is a pretty s**t job as I used the spare for a day while waiting for replacement tyre which had to be ordered...and it started flaking without any real abuse. :(

Renault Clio182 bean
Cheers guys, it cost me a total of £65 in materials, that's the primer, paint, lacquer and a complete wet and dry sandpaper set and masking tape.
Already had some filler in the cupboard ;). It was fun to do, the problem is im a bit picky which meant it took longer than I thought it would lol.

Definatly worth a go for anyone thinking about doing it. I was apprehensive at first but they looked terrible before so I had nothing to lose :).

RB Clio 182
They look great mate, very good job, i have done them in the past and there is always something that im not 100% happy with, so i now take them to the professionals lol.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Did you sand the inner parts too? and paint the entire lot?

have seen no end of DIY jobs where people JUST do the front lol then wonder why it bubbles from back to front

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I started mine, managed 1/10th of a wheel, gave up and now they're going to the sand blasters who's charging me a pint to do all four haha.

Excellent work mate. Looks fantastic.

Renault Clio182 bean
Did you sand the inner parts too? and paint the entire lot?

have seen no end of DIY jobs where people JUST do the front lol then wonder why it bubbles from back to front

I prepped and Painted the inner/outer of the alloy yes.

Renault Clio182 bean
I've done several sets. Never been kurbed as bad as that so never used filler. The sanding is such an epic epic bore though.
Yours looks like a great job

Cheers mate, I have never painted alloys before so was fun to give it a go, sanding was a bit of a ball-ache lol.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yes definatly, etch primer has much better adhesion than normal primer so will resist peeling/flaking much better in the long run.

Thanks for that.

The problem i'm going to run into is that the wheels are going to be shot blasted next week which means its going to be pitted ever so slightly and the etching primer probably won't fill this void. Not entirely sure what to do about that.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks for that.

The problem i'm going to run into is that the wheels are going to be shot blasted next week which means its going to be pitted ever so slightly and the etching primer probably won't fill this void. Not entirely sure what to do about that.

Filler primer?

Renault Clio182 bean
Thanks for that.

If the pitting is tiny, then you can use filler primer which builds the surface and pretty much flats itself aswell :)

Renault Clio182 bean
Another ball ache is if you over spray and end up with a run line, which you then have to wait to dry before sanding, before you can add more coats
This happened with the lacquer, had to wait days for it to harden properly.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
How did you get such a smooth finish?
Just primerd mine and so many issues were shown. Loads of bumps and stuff...

Looks horrible!