ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 fog light or are they spot light

ok quick question people. i got pulled last night for haveing my front spot/fog lights on. pissed me of a bit as they expected me to turn them on and of everytime i hit a patch of fog. the problem was they said that i could leave them on if they are spot lights but can not if they are fog lights. so they took a look @ my dash board lights and they said that if a orange light comes on then that means ya fog lights are on but my 2 spot/fog lights @ the front were on but my dash board orange light wernt. i then expalined to them that these lights do not point no higger than my main lights and are nowhere near as bright then they started to tell me that they was??? i am confussed now as my spots/fogs give me a beam of about 20ft infront of me and about 1/4th as powerful as my xenons lol. but no they wouldnt have it. they said that they was getting blinded by them. please someone explain what the hell they was going on about? are my front bottom lights classed as fog or spots?

Fog lights.

Hence the symbol on your dash has a squiggle in front of the lamp which the 4 lines pass through (if you know what I mean).

black golf v6 4 motion

spot lights are normally tiny they look like fog lights but are not as bright and switch on with your headlights

theyre defo fogs AdzC is correct with his slightly badly worded (although i doubt id do better) description of the symbol on the dash when the lamps are switched on. the vertical wavy line is the fog and the horizontal staight lines breaking it are for rear fogs, and the straight lines braking the wavy line at a 45 degree downslope are for front hence the beam being dipped.

Da

Less

simple rule iirc, theyre fogs if mounted below headlights and driving lights if theyre on same level as headlights?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Daz_2427 on 30 November 2004
simple rule iirc, theyre fogs if mounted below headlights and driving lights if theyre on same level as headlights?

good theory but I had a 106 GTi and it had lights where the fogs are on the 182 and they were spot lights and came on with the main beam.

They were below the headlights at the bottom of the bumper.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 30 November 2004

pissed me of a bit as they expected me to turn them on and of everytime i hit a patch of fog.

What?! Is that like the same with windscreen wipers or do you just leave them on when the windscreen is dry?

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 30 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 30 November 2004

pissed me of a bit as they expected me to turn them on and of everytime i hit a patch of fog.

What?! Is that like the same with windscreen wipers or do you just leave them on when the windscreen is dry?

pmsl

Leon TDI

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 30 November 2004
why do you drive with them on anyway IMO i think they look crap with zenons, i have never used mine

Agreed.
Nothing looks more boy racer IMHO.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

spots have to be something like 450mm off the ground to be classed as spots, lower than that and they are fogs, i remeber this when i was fitting some to my old style mini it said in the instructions the law on fitting these so yes they are fogs on your car

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive noticed on the new Minis that they actually have driving lights just below the headlights which come on when the head lights are on!!!

Ford Fiesta

I agree they dont blind or dazzle, well they dont me anyway! same goes for most small hatch fog lights.

Did you get a 30 pounder?

They are fog lights and it is illegal to drive with them on if its not foggy.

The reason it is illegal is because it is dangerous.

It is dangerous because they can dazzle, doesnt mean to say they will, but they can, cause they are not focused like headlamps, and they are usually quite bright and distracting for other road users.

They distract me anyway cause i always think whats that idiot doing with his/her fogs on when its not foggy :cry:

cock mobile.

MK2 Puntos have the fogs built into the head lights. I used to drive with my fogs on them all the time, I just liked the extra light.

I tend not to know as it looks too "chav" and I dont want the cops giving me a nice little fine!! :confused:

good theory but I had a 106 GTi and it had lights where the fogs are on the 182 and they were spot lights and came on with the main beam.
[/QUOTE]
Correct. Spots only operate in conjunction with main beam, fogs are switchable on or off, although the number of cars that had them on this morning when it was a bit murky would suggest they cant be switched off.

Rich

I wish I could actually turn on the rear fog light without the fronts when its foggy, cant stand fog lights or driving lights!

Driving with them on does not make your car any sportier!

Definitely fogs - and as such are illegal to use unless visibility drops below 50-100 meters (cant remember which).

You may think that they dont dazzle and perhaps they dont looking straight ahead on the flat, but on cambers and angles they do blind as they are very poweful lights.

How many people do you see who use the back fog lights as well as the front? Never lol! People just think their cars look "sporty" with them on.

Back in the day it was the mark of a real performance car to have them, but now theyre added to "Sport" models as "essential" sporting extras! :confused:

ex Clio 172 owner :(

The worst people are the muppets who drive around with sidelights (ie not headlights) and foglights on at night.

Try this yourself sometime just for a short bit of road. You only light up what is right in front of you. Anything or anyone in the road would not be lit up. I see these mofos as just an accident waiting to happen. Fogs do not project into the distance like headlights do. Are people just thick?

Headlights and fogs is bad, but sidelights and fogs is even more dangerous.

Ford Fiesta

chris i agree,

but when it is really foggy that is how they are suppose to be used, sidelights and fogs, as it doesnt throw a much light back at you reflecting off the fog.

225 & Audi S4

defintely fog lights, my missus got pulled over and got a verbal warning,they said if they caught her again, she would be fined £30.

Clio 182

Good! People who drive with their foglights on are idjiat breeds! lol, whats with turning them on in the middle of the day aswell!? wtf!

I cant fooking stand em!

E91 M Sport

201. You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

211. You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

The best ones are those who are ultimately the coolest people on the road...because they play the fog-light card with one bulb out, tw*ts, looks like one of them has fallen out. Chavtastic.

Oh and btw, how often in the last year has fog caused visibility to fall below 100 metres?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

I got pulled a while back in my 172 for having fogs on, the rozzer said

"Listen mate, we all know its a 172, you dont need to drive around with your fogs on to tell us that, if i see you again ill fine you."

Cant argue with em can you.

My elise had driving lights.

They only operate when the Main Beam of the headlights is activated.

Thats the only distinction I beleive, though they have higher rated bulbs as well