ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Front Brake Discs

Clio 182
Hey guys,

Was changing the front pads and fluid on my 182 this weekend, started with the front passenger side. The outer pad looked as though it had worn evenly all over the face of the pad. Then I took the inner pad off and had worn badly on the outer and inner edge badly. Feeling the disc there is definitly a notch on the outer and inner edge, not caused by pad wear but a smoother high spot. I thought maybe a dodgy disc or caliper and checked the other side and exactly the same! The disc thickness is near to new thickness and the lip on the outside of the disc is only 0.3-0.5mm MAX. I cannot understand what has caused this pad wear!

The car has only done 20k and was a bit shocked to see the shape of the discs. I presumed it was a feature of the discs but am not sure.

Sure someone out there must have come accross the same thing!

Rob

Clio 182
Both sides and both inner and outer!

I should have kept the pads to take a picture.

It is such a smooth groove on both the smaller radius and larger radius on the pad. Its almost like the disc is not meant to be flat. Like its meant to have these high spots, maybe as a bedding in indicator. I have never seen anything like this and after changing the pads it seems alright, quite similar braking to beforehand.

Has everyone got toatally even and same wear on inner and outer pads, with no odd markings or wear patterns?

well when i changed my pads and discs the other day i had a line going from top to bottom down the middle of my pads but thats just the renault design

well when i changed my pads and discs the other day i had a line going from top to bottom down the middle of my pads but thats just the renault design

Thats how hey all are its a wear marker line. The idea is once the line is reached that the pads should be changed few take note though.

Regards the original poster Im not sure what you mean 182 are terribale for poor pad wear though due to the poor cooling from the alloys.

Clio 182
yes the disc has got two lumps in cross section. These arent, or dont seem associated with pad wear area though. Just seem to have these high spots!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
doesn't loook right to me. are the disks normal? ive got some oem ones you can have if the disks need changing - they're used but going cheap.

Volvo S60 T5
Standard Renault discs are terrible for falling to bits, they usually rust and that causes the uneven wear you see on the pads. Its always the inside edges that fall to bits.
Fit brembo's and it wont happen again.

Banana
Replaced my discs and pads yesterday and they were exactly the same- fine on the outside and worn to fcuk on the inside. infact one of the inside pads fell to bits in Ali's hand lol.

Clio 182
It seems as though these grooves are some sort of wear indicator, as there is no electronic sensor these are there so that metal on metal contact starts at these grooves only and starts squeeling whilst still giving large braking surface.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It seems as though these grooves are some sort of wear indicator, as there is no electronic sensor these are there so that metal on metal contact starts at these grooves only and starts squeeling whilst still giving large braking surface.

I doubt it, they just look fucked.

The grove does as I said earlier show the supposed point when the pads should be changed when there no grove thr worn out few take any notice though.

There is a wear indicatro it just works of the brake fluid level as such.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
loads left on them pah, i'd run out of carbon and was down to the backing plate lol!