ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 gearbox notchy woes

Clio 182 ff
Really having some issues with my clio 182 gearbox at the moment. It feels really inconsistent lately, take today for an example, I started driving today it was a little notchy in every gear but not too much after the car fully warms up the gearbox was slick and smooth then I got to a roundabout pulled off 1st to 2nd was really notchy so was 2nd to 3rd all the way through the box. also when say going from 2nd to the middle then to third as you approach 3rd it feels as though you hit something like a light clang feeling (no crunch noise) then it goes into gear.Then almost as though it never happened the gearbox goes back to being silky smooth until the next time. I'm lost and don't know where to start?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd definitely suggest the most obvious first - replacement gearbox oil.

Have you any evidence like receipts or invoices to show when it was last done? My OEM oil-fed gearbox felt as sludgey as a spoon handle sat in cake-mix, before I got it changed. And that was when the car was on a mere 12k.

I've had it dropped and changed on four separate occasions since then. Certainly worth looking into as any reputable garage could do it and probably one of the cheapest attempts to fix the issue. It's not like it will be a wasted effort anyway...

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Change of oil won't be a bad thing.

Worth having a look at the linkage, there may be a bit of play somewhere.

The nylon bush insert can cause a bit of play when worn.

Clio 182 ff
I'd definitely suggest the most obvious first - replacement gearbox oil.

Have you any evidence like receipts or invoices to show when it was last done? My OEM oil-fed gearbox felt as sludgey as a spoon handle sat in cake-mix, before I got it changed. And that was when the car was on a mere 12k.

I've had it dropped and changed on four separate occasions since then. Certainly worth looking into as any reputable garage could do it and probably one of the cheapest attempts to fix the issue. It's not like it will be a wasted effort anyway...
Thanks yes not seen it has been changed in the history so I'm going to try that first, mines on 68k so definitely worth it then