ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Mapping where?

So I need my car mapped. And I need it done at a weekend, which doesn't help. And I want it done before the Bedford track day.

I also need it local ish to where I live, Croydon - Surrey. And would like to get it done and dusted in one day. Car has 421 cams and ITBs.

Mike@MWM told me he won't have any availability at weekends until long after bedford and to leave the car with him.

So I've been looking around for other potential places. The list of places I've had pop up are:

1) Abbey Motorsport (Oxted) - Great guys and I've been there before to have a proper GEO setup. They mainly do Jap stuff but said they could do my car, however I would need to purchase a cable to connect my OMEX to their pc. Not cheap £400-£500.

2) AMD (Essex) - Big company but mainly VAG stuff. They say they can do Renaultsports on the site. However I'm not sure if this is just putting a generic map on and not custom which I need. I've not spoken with them yet though. Never heard of anyone with a Renault going here before which puts me off.

3) TDI South (Essex) - Another big company but think they mainly specialize in Jap too. I think @Russ Rallye had his race car mapped at TDI North though so there could be a chance they know their stuff well enough. Still yet to contact them though too.

4) Tracknroad (Essex) - A mate used these guys for his 172 cup with similar modifications to me. I was thinking these guys would be a good shout, even though I had never heard of them before. However a quick search on the net finds a few bad reviews, people calling them cowboys etc.

So does anyone have any input or advice. Remember I need it done at a weekend and on a drive in drive out service. So I can take it myself and bring it home a couple of hours later once done.

Anyone know much about either of the above companies regarding mapping, especially for RS's.

Cheers

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Don't use track and road, we used to use them for our Aston Martin racer. They are cnuts.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
What about that other firm in essex that build clio engine's, can't think of there name.

Gash, I could do with it being a weekday lol. Is James still knocking about fixing Clios?

I could deal with a weekday at a push, would just mean taking it off work. But that's not possible for Mike now with his new job I don't think.

Not sure about James. Don't think he ever mapped cars though, think that was more Mike

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I vaguely remember someone on here having their car mapped at AMD. Power Engineering are a good place to go too.

Wouldn't you be able to drop it off on one Saturday then pick it up the next week?

I vaguely remember someone on here having their car mapped at AMD. Power Engineering are a good place to go too.

Wouldn't you be able to drop it off on one Saturday then pick it up the next week?

I could do. But I'm really keen to just get it done on the same day. I have such little time at the moment to be making 3-4 hour round trips.

Oh there's Engine Dynamics!

Ahhhh I forgot about these guys.

Are they custom maps? I know their builds are meant to be top notch but not heard much about the mapping.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I could do. But I'm really keen to just get it done on the same day. I have such little time at the moment to be making 3-4 hour round trips.

Ahhhh I forgot about these guys.

Are they custom maps? I know their builds are meant to be top notch but not heard much about the mapping.

I would recommend leaving it there so they get the cold start sorted. Makes no end of difference having a good cold start map!

Engine Dynamics - http://www.engine-dynamics.com/
Dan @ SJM Automotive
Simon 'Chip' Comins (he's banned on here though!)

Dan would be great but he's too much of a trek.
Chip doesn't have rollers, and dought he'd be interested in travelling or for private jobs from what I've seen.

Going to speak to ED today and see what they say. Bit of a mission for me but not enough to put me off.

Yeah, they would know what to do!

Sweet :smile:

I would recommend leaving it there so they get the cold start sorted. Makes no end of difference having a good cold start map!

Mike has already sorted this for me. It's top end stuff I need, as obviously he couldn't do this on the road without massively risking losing his license.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Happy days then :)

My 1st choice would be ED so fingers crossed they can help you. Otherwise Power Engineering are very good and AMD have a good reputation.

Happy days then :smile:

My 1st choice would be ED so fingers crossed they can help you. Otherwise Power Engineering are very good and AMD have a good reputation.

I'm sure ED can help. I've sent an email over across already. Can't believe I forgot about these guys.

Do you know if they have their own dyno on site now? I don't care about power figures, I'm thinking for ease of mapping top end.

Not heard of Power Engineering though, so will have a browse.

Cheers man

Clio 182 Cup
Andy at Engine Dynamics would be your best bet.
Had my dephaser and belts done there just before christmas, great service, honest and they can do you a custom map too. They actually had a couple of race cars in for custom mapping whilst I was there, and engines being built so I can vouch you'll be in safe hands.

I would need to purchase a cable to connect my OMEX to their pc. Not cheap £400-£500.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the cables to connect an OMEX to a PC cost about 20 quid tops. the OMEX mapping software is free to download from OMEX.
All you need is a serial cable and a USB to serial converter.
I got mine on ebay for peanuts and have used it to read the map no problems.

Martin, what about Surrey rolling road?

They don't actually do mapping though do they? I thought it was just a rolling road. But may be wrong.

I think I'm sorted with Andy at Engine Dynamics now though anyway :) In chats with him now.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the cables to connect an OMEX to a PC cost about 20 quid tops. the OMEX mapping software is free to download from OMEX.
All you need is a serial cable and a USB to serial converter.
I got mine on ebay for peanuts and have used it to read the map no problems.

I didn't know that so thanks for letting me know.

My comment about them not being cheap was more about the mapping itself, not the cost of the cable and software though :)

They don't actually do mapping though do they? I thought it was just a rolling road. But may be wrong.

I think I'm sorted with Andy at Engine Dynamics now though anyway :smile: In chats with him now.

I didn't know that so thanks for letting me know.

My comment about them not being cheap was more about the mapping itself, not the cost of the cable and software though :smile:
Ah I see lol. 4-500 quid is not miles off. They're probably quoting a bit extra as they haven't done one before. What sort of map do you have now? The map on my OMEX is for a 182 on bodies with 421s so should be pretty close to what yours will end up as.

Ah I see lol. 4-500 quid is not miles off. They're probably quoting a bit extra as they haven't done one before. What sort of map do you have now? The map on my OMEX is for a 182 on bodies with 421s so should be pretty close to what yours will end up as.

Yeah it's not miles off. Was expecting to pay 300-400 anyway.

The map on there currently is a map for my setup done by Mike. I think it may have even been copied across from his car which had 421s and ITBs too. He just tweaked it for mine.

There was just not enough time to get the car on the rollers to optimize it and make it perfect though. Top end especially. So just needs a bit to finish it off.

How much should I expect to pay for a map tweak on a cammed 172? Tie in a few mods and stop it running a little lean up top? In Sussex so not too far from the guys you've been looking at either

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but a good map is worth the trip.

Trust me. A bad one cost me an engine and a lot of time, effort and tears (mainly budgies).

Other than waiting for Mike, I'd go to Dan or Paul at RST as I have personal experience of both and they are excellent. But you've been told that already :wink:

I've heard positive things about ED, but with no personal experience I can't really comment.

Hopefully see you at Bedford bud!

I agree mate. I was considering a trip down to Dan but it was just a little bit too much of a journey. If the car was reasonable to drive on the road then I would have done, but having to trailer it is a pain, my trailer is tucked up away and takes a good hour to get off the drive and sort out, plus I don't have a tow license yet!

I've heard nothing but praise towards the Engine Dynamics guys so I'm looking forward to letting them finish the map up.

Taking it there Sat early morning :smile: