ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 182 OR New GTI GOLF 200

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

well its $8000 more not £8000 more for a start.

vws are a million time better in terms of build, go for an r32 if u have enough money.

GTi...FAAAARRRR superior build quality and it may cost more but will hold its money far better! Top Gear Car of the year too!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by MK3COL on 14 December 2004
Top Gear Car of the year too!

hmmm, funny that isnt it......

Quote: Originally posted by EHAB on 12 December 2004
Hi all ; I WANT YOUR FEED BACK ,ABOUT which car to get ,a Clio 182 or the new golf GTI 2005 THE PRICE DIFFERENT IS $8000 the golf is much more expensive than the Clio , both cars has similer performance but the price different is quit high ,so what do you think ?thank you

Have you thought of looking for a golf forum, as i dont know if one exists, prob does.
Im sure youll find that ppl have issues with their golfs as well, no model, or make, is perfect.
Also you mention performance in your question, is this the only thing you are after in your new car?

Ive just bought a 2yr old 172 cup as a second car which I dont use for work. Before this I had an R32 from new for a year, it was chipped + Miltek exhaust and showed around 270 Bhp.

R32s are not that fast as they are too heavy. They sound good and get loads of looks and handle really well in the wet. Mine used to average 20mpg - 210 miles cost me £45!!

Anyway, my wife had a mk1 172 for work & she now has an A3 2.0 TDI...

The Cup is a breath of fresh air - no ABS, esp, or electric power steering etc. Its a proper laugh to drive and reminds me of my old MK1 Golf GTI for attitude & road presence. In the wet you really have to think about what you are doing, unlike the R32 as it almost drove itself!

Back to the point, 182 & MkV Golf GTI have both had good reviews, for everyday use Id probably choose the Golf, for driving thrills the 182.

P.S S3s arent all that brilliant either, V similar drive to the R32..

For a hot hatch - and by that I mean hot hatch alone - then it has to be a 182 (even were it not at least a third cheaper).

People always think that the Golf will be better to own, but not if my experiences with a Mk4 GTi are anything to go by. VWs are NOT superior in terms of build or finish - in the rest of Europe theyre seen in the same way that we see Ford (i.e. good, but pretty common). In the UK, weve been victims of 20+ years of good advertising and brand neutering.

Both cars have three year warranties and Id argue that without a turbo, the Clio has less to go wrong. The price difference explains why the Clio will seem less substatial by comparison, but the real Golf GTi Mk5 contender is the Renaultsport Megane (which is again cheaper by some margin).

You get what you pay for... but in the case of the Golf you overpay for what you get.

Elise/VX220/R26

Golf GTI with same Spec as a 182 price difference will be more like 10 grand. You cant really compare the two cars as such as they are in completely different classes.

I would say they have made a bit of a mistake in making the GTI FWD as getting 180 BHP down in my 172 is hopeless enough. Golf will be more easilty tuneable but they will be common as muck within 6 months. I would go for something a bit more exclusive. In fact if I had 20 grand I would get a VX220 Turbo or an evo or something, golfGTI would not even be on my radar.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The golf speced up with the fast gearbox and xenons is 23k

Now that is just robbery,but then again thats vw/audi...They may be reliable but that doesnt add up to 10k on a car thats no faster

ian

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 16 December 2004
For a hot hatch - and by that I mean hot hatch alone - then it has to be a 182 (even were it not at least a third cheaper). People always think that the Golf will be better to own, but not if my experiences with a Mk4 GTi are anything to go by. VWs are NOT superior in terms of build or finish - in the rest of Europe theyre seen in the same way that we see Ford (i.e. good, but pretty common). In the UK, weve been victims of 20+ years of good advertising and brand neutering. Both cars have three year warranties and Id argue that without a turbo, the Clio has less to go wrong. The price difference explains why the Clio will seem less substatial by comparison, but the real Golf GTi Mk5 contender is the Renaultsport Megane (which is again cheaper by some margin).You get what you pay for... but in the case of the Golf you overpay for what you get.

Well said that man.
Ive been saying the same for years.
VW have a very good advertising agency, thats all.
Mate of mine bought a Polo for the build quality, its 5 years old and falling apart, normal mileage and rusting all over.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

id have to disagree, ive owned 2 clios, and in comparison, both of my mates golfs are much better built - ok so theyre still not perfect, but in comparison to my clios they are far superior and a much more comfortable ride - although theyre not as agile and theyre pretty boring to drive imo

the same is true when u compare the golf to new mazdas (id say build quality was as good as the old Xedos 9 - which is far from rubbish), fords, vxs, the list goes on....

if you want a fun fast car, go for the 182, if you want a comfortable ride where you go home more relaxed than u were before you left then go for the golf - without a doubt.

GTi i think, the performance might be similar, but youll love the german quality, and ill keep its value much better... Golf between the two.

depends what you want, if its performance, get an impreza p1 or evo. But the GTi will be a really nice car. love 182s for the money though.

gunnergibson, clios arent english either!
i would say that the new golf gti would be the preferred choice over the 182 by any one who knows what they are on about. the issue here is price. for the person who said the 182 would kick the golfs arse around corners, what exactly are you going on with this??? i think we all put the clios up there in higher regard than what its due. i love them as much as the next person but some people on here really over exagerrate things.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by The Don on 17 December 2004

gunnergibson, clios arent english either!
i would say that the new golf gti would be the preferred choice over the 182 by any one who knows what they are on about.
the issue here is price. for the person who said the 182 would kick the golfs arse around corners, what exactly are you going on with this??? i think we all put the clios up there in higher regard than what its due. i love them as much as the next person but some people on here really over exagerrate things.
which you clearly dont!

The 182 has beaten the golf gti around tracks and in straight line speed so yes it will beat it around corners, this has arlready been proved!

how can you put a car in a higher regard than it is due when it is winning loads of tests and comparisons out there with the car magazines, have you ever seen a bad review for one??????

Evo - joint second car of the year with the lotus exige and behind the Porsche, loads of more expensive and faster cars behind in the list

Autocar - Car of the year!

Exactly - the Golf may the better all-round package but on pure performance and handling criteria the 182 would be better. So, on a purely best hot-hatch basis, the 182 would win, cheaper, quicker, great levels of kit.

I would not pay 20k for a medium-sized hatch of any description, for 20k I want a nice big fast saloon. I like my hatches cheap.

dave, so you determine how good a car is by how fast it goes round a track?
so the clio 182 (of which i am placing an order) is better than a maybach? what about ride quality, build quality, safety, price retention etc?? jeremy clarkson and the people from 5th gear obviously dont know what they are on about either then?

[Edited by The Don on 17 December 2004 at 2:27pm]
plus, when did the 182 get these awards? before they tested the new GTi i would have thought?

The ECOTY has the GTI in it as does the Autocar magazine so thats that theory out of the window. maybach ? dont recall us mentioning one of those and its a completely different type of car not to mention the cost of the thing.

I think it depends what you want from the car if you want something bigger, more comfortable to drive a bit more grown up and have the cash then get the golf. If you want faster better handling laugh a minute thrills but retaining alot of toys and saving several £k then get the clio.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..my 172 mk2 is 3 years old end of jan, so far its needed...a new rubber for rear wiper. the guy who commented on the golf being a bosch boxhead car was possibly refering to one word..passion! i mean look at the way the jerrys play football; neat, functional and dull! the golf might have top gears latest gold medal but anybody who buys it at that price needs a straight jacket..:p

dave, so you determine how good a car is by how fast it goes round a track?
so the clio 182 (of which i am placing an order) is better than a maybach? what about ride quality, build quality, safety, price retention etc?? jeremy clarkson and the people from 5th gear obviously dont know what they are on about either then?

[Edited by The Don on 17 December 2004 at 2:27pm]
plus, when did the 182 get these awards? before they tested the new GTi i would have thought?

I cant in any circumstances think why I would pay 20k for a Golf GTI when could get a 182 for 12k.

yes, i agree and have not put any thing anywhere in that text that disagrees.
why you have copied what i wrote is beyond me.

because its a different league of car !!!

why would you pay 100k for a ferrari when 30k on an radical gets you a faster car ?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

because you can afford it dogmaul...most people are on some kind of budget or other,but in your point i can see where your going

For an enthusiast like me the money goes on the car that performs better per pound....Top gear was a perfect example with the 160k lambo and the evo 400 costin less than a third of it

<<<<<I would pick the 182 and i have,the golf has 200 bhp but is slow compaired to the 182...give the 182 200 bhp and then it would be really fast.and so on...Someone who likes feeling safe and doesnt mind a slightly dull drive and four doors will love the golf ,im sure it will be a great 2nd hand buy one day but for the money its way to expensive for what it does....

Lovely colour of red though,hope audi a3s can be that colour too

ian

dull? have you driven it??
is this a case of us all giving it a negative rating even though its not out yet and the only thing we have to go on is the reviews we have seen on tv and in mags. clarkson didnt say bad word about it and 5th gear gave it there car of the year, as did top gear. dull? only because we are comparing it to the 182. thats why you are being so negative.

ill tell you how it compares when i get my hands on one, looks like my old chap is ordering one so ill be able to give an unbiased opinion as i did in the CTR vs 172 debates as he currently has one of those. I think your choice will depend what you want from the car both are good but in different ways.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..im sure it isnt that dull..both clarkson and plato (top gear and 5th gear respectively) really rate it, look forward to Loonys review, sense of humour failure anybody? :sleep:

what is a radical?

Looks like a miniature open top GT class car. A cheaper way of getting a very quick car that is suited to track use.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 17 December 2004
because its a different league of car !!! why would you pay 100k for a ferrari when 30k on an radical gets you a faster car ?

Youd pay 70k for a roof and heater when its pissing it down ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

dull? have you driven it??
is this a case of us all giving it a negative rating even though its not out yet and the only thing we have to go on is the reviews we have seen on tv and in mags. clarkson didnt say bad word about it and 5th gear gave it there car of the year, as did top gear. dull? only because we are comparing it to the 182. thats why you are being so negative.
As i said it going to be a bit dull compaired to the 182 and with a 10k price difference the price and the handling are key to what people want....My dad has had three golfs right up to the last one and the steering is dull.They are heavy and they are not as nimble as a clio,so in essence less rewarding when you press the loud pedal.Im sure to most it will be great however

ian

dk

911 GTS Cab

dull? have you driven it??is this a case of us all giving it a negative rating even though its not out yet and the only thing we have to go on is the reviews we have seen on tv and in mags. clarkson didnt say bad word about it and 5th gear gave it there car of the year, as did top gear. dull? only because we are comparing it to the 182. thats why you are being so negative.

i am dubious about the two awards the gti won recently, bit too convenient for my liking, they have just launched the car and are promoting it alot and it suddenly wins two motoring shows car of the year out of the blue?

Just before the top gear show, Jeremy clarkson had dinner with a top executive from VW, and is it a coincidence that 5th gear give away their car of the year, dont suppose it had anything to do with vw giving them the car to give away if they gave them a good review.

These are all conspiracy theories and I am probably reading too much into it but if anybody saw the 5th gear awards, it was funny the gti wasnt included in any of the other categories and then suddenly appeared and the test was made a mockery by having the 1 series bmw in the small car category against 7k cars!

the golf gti is a 225 competitor, not a 182 competitor.

oh and yes I did buy my car on how well it would perform around a track, and after 3 track days am 100% confident that I made the right decision, it is an amazing track car as anyone who went to spa/the ring will tell you.

Yes, I noticed Clarkson saying, on the show in which he reviwed the GTi, that he was having dinner with the boss of Volkswagen last night and he was saying bla bla bla.... Hmmm how convenient! I like to hear what Clarkson has to say for the amusement value of it, but he doesnt strike me as the sort of bloke who would say no to a big brown envelope stuffed with cash... lol

why you have copied what i wrote is beyond me.

I used the quote button. You should be able to get the hang of it after a few goes.

:D

Yugguy
"why" and "how" are different words. great joke though. had me in stitches.

dave182, you are right, it is a bit weird that it won on 5th gear after not even winning another catergory and i also agree with you about clarkson and his Friend at VW. good points.