ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 rebuild

182, 205 GTI
Hi! I'm putting my Clio 182 FF (which I've owned for 10 years+) back on the road after 3 and a bit years of it sitting due to other projects (like a house) getting in the way. Anyhow Just looking for advice on parts sourcing - I've seen RPD looks decent but I'm struggling with some of the parts for the recommission such as
Clutch kit
Front Lower arms

Any help much appreciated! Or suggested upgrades while the car is in bits! It's getting the full works, belts, bushes etc.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Front lower arms seem thin on the ground or gone. I replaced mine with some eBay specials and they came with some questionable bushes that are thinner than my c0ck.

I kept the OE ones and slung them in the corner of the garage.

if I were you I’d get yours blasted, powder coated, then push in some poly bushes…

Also. you might find the subframe holes are worn and oval.. I welded a fat washer on mine until I can get back to it and repair it better.
Run the old eyeballs over them.

182, 205 GTI
Thanks - I saw KTEC appears to do a pair of aftermarket front lower arms? Would assume they might be decent?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I picked up a Valeo kit 215mm 26 teeth 826558 off EBay for my 182. Cost me £85 from memory. Did 10,000 miles on it no issues before I sold the car a month back.

Just did a complete resto on my 182 RB and parts are getting thinner on the ground, getting good quality second hand bits is challenging. But it’s doable. Stuart Robertson @ Renomotive (he’s on Facebook and here, but can’t remember his handle) has been very good. Good luck and get some pics up 😊

182, 205 GTI
I picked up a Valeo kit 215mm 26 teeth 826558 off EBay for my 182. Cost me £85 from memory. Did 10,000 miles on it no issues before I sold the car a month back.

Just did a complete resto on my 182 RB and parts are getting thinner on the ground, getting good quality second hand bits is challenging. But it’s doable. Stuart Robertson @ Renomotive (he’s on Facebook and here, but can’t remember his handle) has been very good. Good luck and get some pics up 😊

Great thanks will check him out. It does seems as just within the last couple of years parts have dried up a bit! The same thing happened with my 205 GTI a few years ago, I actually had to get a friend to 3D print a parcel shelf bracket for it. Although I also wonder if ongoing logistics issues in the UK have added to the issues with parts for old French hatchbacks...

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Great thanks will check him out. It does seems as just within the last couple of years parts have dried up a bit! The same thing happened with my 205 GTI a few years ago, I actually had to get a friend to 3D print a parcel shelf bracket for it. Although I also wonder if ongoing logistics issues in the UK have added to the issues with parts for old French hatchbacks...
Yes, you can still get some parts from your main dealer via France - usually 10 days. I had to wait 10 days for bolts, engine lifting hook, and that kind of thing.

Serviceable items are fine in general, but some engine sensors are now N/A such as MAP, ABS etc...all third party now. I think I got the last set of genuine wishbones from Kam Racing, but I know he's looking at alternatives and as above K-Tec are still doing similar ones. I fitted a set of none genuine wishbones to mine and it killed the handling completely, hence having to pay a king's ransom for the last set.

Just took an age for me to get a good working air conditioning control unit. You can still get these but they're like £850 from the main dealer 😭

So it's all doable, but prices are either ridiculous or the parts themselves are scrap.

I had 3 182s at the start of the year, but just down to one now, partly due to the above.

182, 205 GTI
Yes, you can still get some parts from your main dealer via France - usually 10 days. I had to wait 10 days for bolts, engine lifting hook, and that kind of thing.

Serviceable items are fine in general, but some engine sensors are now N/A such as MAP, ABS etc...all third party now. I think I got the last set of genuine wishbones from Kam Racing, but I know he's looking at alternatives and as above K-Tec are still doing similar ones. I fitted a set of none genuine wishbones to mine and it killed the handling completely, hence having to pay a king's ransom for the last set.

Just took an age for me to get a good working air conditioning control unit. You can still get these but they're like £850 from the main dealer 😭

So it's all doable, but prices are either ridiculous or the parts themselves are scrap.

I had 3 182s at the start of the year, but just down to one now, partly due to the above.

Oh front ABS rings are the other thing I'm after? Any ideas?

I've managed to find a Valeo Clutch on ECP - hopefully it's correct (will be keeping receipt!)

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

I've managed to find a Valeo Clutch on ECP - hopefully it's correct (will be keeping receipt!)
I recently got a set off DMFX in Darlington - https://allianceautomotive.co.uk/member/24529/dmfx/

You just have to remind them they're the CUP versions - 44 teeth - as they sent me the wrong ones.

EDIT - I may even have a brand new set of them because I put new driveshafts that already had them fitted. Drop me a DM tonight and i'll have a look in the garage.

182, 205 GTI
It still scrubs up well, even if underneath it's going to be triggers broom. :ROFLMAO:

20221129_141609.jpg

182, 205 GTI
It's getting there... thought my shopping list may help others!

Cam belt kit
Fish bros Swindon
Waterpump
Fish bros Swindon

Front discs and pads
Fish bros Swindon
Rear discs and pads
Fish bros Swindon
Gearbox end plate/cap
Fish bros Swindon
Engine mounting bushes
Fish bros Swindon
Gearbox mounting bushes
Fish bros Swindon
Anti roll bar bushes
Fish bros Swindon
Ball joints
Fish bros Swindon
Crank Pulley
Fish bros Swindon
Os/ns track rod ends
Fish bros Swindon
Head gasket.
Fish bros Swindon
Front and rear brake hoses
KTEC
Clutch CableFish bros Swindon
Clutch KitEuro Car Parts (Valeo)
Altenator
KTEC
Altenator belt
KTEC
O/S lower arm KTEC
N/S lower arm
KTEC
ABS rings front/ DRIVE SHAFTSShafttec / vis GSF

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Would take a refurbished standard wishbone over a Ktec item. Most likely just the same as other aftermarket’s just given the marketing hype from ktec. The only stronger part looks to be the plate above the ball joint but this is standard on lower models if I’m not wrong.

I have a set of new Renault wishbone bushes somewhere which could be pressed into your arms.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

These are good quality abs rings.

182, 205 GTI
Would take a refurbished standard wishbone over a Ktec item. Most likely just the same as other aftermarket’s just given the marketing hype from ktec. The only stronger part looks to be the plate above the ball joint but this is standard on lower models if I’m not wrong.

I have a set of new Renault wishbone bushes somewhere which could be pressed into your arms.
Thanks! - I've already got the KTEC ones, them seem fine and were not silly money and a few people recommended them.

182, 205 GTI
All pretty much done now - will get some pics up.

Just one more thing I've got to sort that I'm wondering if someone can diagnose!

The climate control unit was a bit tatty and so a while back I replaced it - I now seem to have an issue with the heating where any temperature setting above 'min' it's fully hot - there does not seem to be a change from 16-Max it's all just full heat. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

182, 205 GTI
All polished up this weekend and back on the road! I've spent more than the original purchase price 10 years ago restoring it. Guess I'll have to keep it now. :oops:. Took it for a spin but as it's a had engine rebuild being gentle... for now! Love it.
20230312_103338.jpg
IMG_20230312_144742_822.jpg