ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 silencer box

182 Cup Racing Blue
My clio 182 silencer box…the one straight after the cat is rattling…the honey comb material inside is loose and is starting to rattle on idol……the garage said worse case is that the honey comb could block the exhaust fumes and ruin the engine! As the whole exhaust is joined I would have to buy a new one from Renault for 600 pounds!!!!!!

So my idea is to get powerflow to cut out the small silencer box out and get them to weld in a straight through stainless steal pipe…..far cheaper! My only worry for doing this is…..will it ruin the performance of the car….as the engine is tuned to work with that silencer in place….and will it ruin the emissions and put them up…meaning fail on MOT! I know if you buy a performance exhaust…they put a performance silencer in place of the old one….please experts….could I have your thoughts and ideas. Thanks Adam

200 Gordini
No expert on this matter but it wont do anything to your emissions because its after the cat.

The way i see it is that it is just a silencer so its there to 'silence'. Removing it will make the exhaust louder and probably flow a bit better. This is just an observation from me :)

Someone will be along soon to tell you more.

Ill have my standard exhaust off soon so you can buy my centre section if you prefer.

EDIT: i didnt know the standard exhaust is one piece

a black one
Thought the honey combe section was the catalytic converter???

I would update you exhaust with a sports cat. Probably cost less than £600! job done!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've been considerong doing the same to mine, it won't fail an MOT without the mid silencer, just increase the noise but I'm not sure by how much. The honeycomb is normally associated with the cat isn't it? If it were your cat then it would fail.

Whilst your at it, get them to cut off the join between the cat and mid silencer to open it up to it's full bore. few mid range bhp to be gained.

Clio MK3 Work in progress
Hi Adam, I had the same problem. A new centre section for the middle from Renault was £200 + 50 Fitted. I spoke t powerflow at RSR in Redhill and they quoted about £120 fited to cut out, and fit a new centre section.