ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 steaming up all the time?

Yozza'd BG
iv just bought a ff 182 with cup packs and havnt had it on the road myself coz im waitin til im 21 in January for cheaper insurance but ive been out in it a couple of times with my dad drivin...LUCKY b*****d!:mad:

The problem we've noticed is it steams up (in the back mainly) once you've been in for a couple of minutes even with the climate control on. We've tried the AC button to get rid of the moisture in the air which helps a bit but not good enough! im aware the cold weather doesnt help.

is it just mine or does anybody/everybody else out there have the same problem? are there vents in the back that could be blocked or somethin?

any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Wet carpets/mats, the moisture inside the car will not help trying to de-mist it.

Also, the rear window, are the elements not clearing it a little?

Yozza'd BG
the elements do clear it but then it steams back up quickly. the car was recently valited so mats and seats could have retained some moisture though they feel perfectly dry. hmmm?

p.s cheers for the assistance mate.

Artic Blue 182 FF
You need to be driving round with your windows down, and your heaters up full blast for a while.
Other solutions iver herd - pots of slat to soak up the moistre.
Leaving a humidifier in the car for a day?

I would check all the window seals etc, if the misting is really really bad.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No worries mate, get all the mats out of it and have a good feel about, also in the boot aswell.

I know its cold the now but if theres a dry day coming up (or ideally if you have a garage) get it in there and let it dry naturally with all the doors and boot open.

Doesnt soun like too serious a fix matey!

BMW F21 125d
You using the air con when your old mans driving it ? If so after turning off the air con, i find mine steams up alot quicker, another quick blast of the air con will soon sort it.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you got the recycle button in on the heater?this will also steam it up because you are not getting any fresh air in from outside.Its alright to use this for a quick warm up because it just keeps the same air going round and round.Using the air will not make any difference.

Yozza'd BG
the aircon helps but only very slowly. iv got a garage so il open windows and see if it makes a difference.

looks like its only me that has the problem anyways which means ive bought a pup of a car though i suppose there could be a load of other stuff wrong with it that there isnt!!:approve:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is nothing to worry about mate, its either moisture in the car but since your saying it is de-misting the windows for a while i can only assume that its not that.

Aye get it in the garage and get the heating on

Yozza'd BG
hav made sure the recycle button is off tony...that was pretty much the first thing we did and it made a bit of a difference.

cheers mate!

clio 182 black /gold
Have you got the recycle button in on the heater?this will also steam it up because you are not getting any fresh air in from outside.Its alright to use this for a quick warm up because it just keeps the same air going round and round.Using the air will not make any difference.
How can you tell or check to see if the recycle part of the system is not stuck on recycle? Every time i switch mine on with any heat it steams up bad. I think there is no fresh air coming in. The carpets seem to be dry. I hope this makes sense.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Sure it's not just the exhaust steaming it up, sounds daft but all 182's do that when it's cold till the cars warmed up.

clio 182 black /gold
Sure it's not just the exhaust steaming it up, sounds daft but all 182's do that when it's cold till the cars warmed up.
I don,t think so. As the front screen and door windows steam up a lot. When i use the demist function it works perfect but i want to warm the car up it steams up worse.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Mine sometimes steams up after I've had the air con on but that's it. Seems quite a random problem you've got. Hope it's summit simple for ya.

182cup & 172 racecar
How can you tell or check to see if the recycle part of the system is not stuck on recycle? Every time i switch mine on with any heat it steams up bad. I think there is no fresh air coming in. The carpets seem to be dry. I hope this makes sense.

When you have the fan on and push the recycle button you will hear a change in the air noise through the heater as it shuts off the air coming in from outside,if this doesn't happen then its shagged.

clio 182 black /gold
Good point, have you ever changed yours Lee?
Yes. It has been done twice. Last one was christmas last year. I used the recycle button today for the first time in ages possibly ever and it cleared the windows.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
sounds like the heater matrix is weeping slightly and aircon is low on gas causing it not to work. I had a citroen xsara with the same saga, got rid and bought the 172.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Does the car have a sweet smell when it mists up? If it does, then the matrix is leaking. Not a common fault on clios though.

172 with k-tec sound
my ph2 172 steams up all the time whatever the weather and i have to have the aircon on all the time, and my car is bone dry, ive never got to the bottom of it , but when mine steams up it stinks of old socks :dapprove:

None
I changed my pollen filter a while back and that had been on for four years since the car was new and it was full of dirt but i woudn't say it would cause damp in the cabin, not unless it was getting wet and as a result letting moist air blow in through into the cabin, just pull the old one out first and see if there is a difference, afterall there won't be any more pollen till next year now anyway.

None
my ph2 172 steams up all the time whatever the weather and i have to have the aircon on all the time, and my car is bone dry, ive never got to the bottom of it , but when mine steams up it stinks of old socks :dapprove:

Have you tried using an air con deodoriser?.......suppose to kill bacteria in the air con system, seemed to work for me, the smell of foul eggs went after using it :)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I changed my pollen filter a while back and that had been on for four years since the car was new and it was full of dirt but i woudn't say it would cause damp in the cabin, not unless it was getting wet and as a result letting moist air blow in through into the cabin, just pull the old one out first and see if there is a difference, afterall there won't be any more pollen till next year now anyway.

Sounds like a dirty air con system or damp under the carpets.
check for water under the rear seats and under the front ones

172 with k-tec sound
Have you tried using an air con deodoriser?.......suppose to kill bacteria in the air con system, seemed to work for me, the smell of foul eggs went after using it :)

i get the smell and the steaming up without the air con on but once i push the air con button the smell and steaming up goes :S

Da

Less
I think yours is damp in the carpet Carl from possibly a previous leak. Have you tried the AirCon cleaner, they're only about £12 from Halfords and I have one infront of me now :)

172 with k-tec sound
I think yours is damp in the carpet Carl from possibly a previous leak. Have you tried the AirCon cleaner, they're only about £12 from Halfords and I have one infront of me now :)

yeah it possible could be that daz. no iv not tried the aircon cleaner think il have to lol. :D

Da

Less
I'm going to do mine tomorrow night whilst we fit the suspension and remap yours :)

Busy night lol!

172 with k-tec sound
I'm going to do mine tomorrow night whilst we fit the suspension and remap yours :)

Busy night lol!

yeah sounds like we are going to have a busy night lol if theres enougth to do 2 cars il give you half the money if not then il get some at some point :D