ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 tapping sound to be lifters to me idea's

Clio 182 mk1 caddy
Hi this is my first post so please no laughing if I'm doing somthing wrong

i got a clio 182 a week ago was running sweet abit of a lumpy idle but from what I've read they are all like that
the car has done 82k now it had belt and pulley done last yeah at about 69k got Receipts so know its right and has been Done
Its not got full Service History but has a few receipts for the oil and fitter change
i change to oil and fitter when I got it to be on the safe side use 10/40s fully synthetic didn't use a flush tho
my drove the car to santa pod to the fia drag racing (not to race the clio) i did 500miles that weekend car didn't miss a beat when I got home there was a vary little tap but went after the morning after and didnt come back
Thursday night I drove to get some petrol and when I pull in the garage had the window down and could hear this tapping pretty loud so straight away I check the oil and was fine so I let it cool down to cheek oil again and was all good on the max mark
I first thought would be Dephaser pulley but with it only being done last year 10k ago thought it wouldn't be that and it tapping from cold and does not go after 2k revs just gets faster the faster the engine revs sounds like it coming from number 3/4 (1 being cambelt side and 4 being gearbox side)
things I've checked allready

i checked the plug are tight where all fine

with engine running pulled one lead off coil at a time

with engine running unplug an injecter at a time to check was not a injecter gone

Anyone know if lifters are a common thing to gone noisy on these engine and any ideas to check anything else and is there a way to check the Dephaser with out taking it off
im in blackpool if anyone can recommend anywhere to take it to have a look

ive got some videos of it cold and warm will post them up any help would be very gratefully

o and the car drive fine and pulls well still just tapping can't really hear when in the car unless the window is down

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My 200sx sounded like that when big ends went.

Wouldn't be putting 10w40 in it either!

Clio 182 mk1 caddy
What oil would you say is best will get some tomorrow morning and I hope it's not the big ends :( and it sounds alot louder on the video

Clio 182 mk1 caddy
Cheers for the replys guy I will get and flush and some 5w40 and fitter today and give it ago

Lionel Richie
5W40 and 10W40 will make no difference, 10W40 is infact thicker when cold than 5W40 (0degC) and when hot (100degC) they're indentical