ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Terrible handling!

RS 182
Had a wee look on here and found a few similar threads, but none pinpoint whats happening with my Clio.

Basically, my 182 is the worst handling car i've ever experienced! Loads of oversteer and understeer, back end twitching, body roll, the lot!

The biggest worry is the back end swaying about on corners, feels like its sliding off the road!

Anyway, i read some threads and started at the top and worked my way through the possibilities..

New bottom ball joints
New track rod ends
x4 new Toyo Proxie 205 45 16's
tracking/ Geometry set up

So far, none of this has helped..
The next step would be to renew back shocks as one has a light misting of oil, so it may be leaking slightly.

But could a leaky shock cause this to be as bad as it is?
Any other suggestions as to what could be causing this to happen?

Cheers in advance!

in short yes swaying at the back would be caused by a shocker not holding its pressure right ! also worth checking your tyres simple but so many forget tyre pressures cause it to handle one way ! also if they are different tyres one may be better quality and grip better!
good luck

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Yep your rear shocks are battered the back end skips all over the place dont it ive just replaced mine recently i got mine of Ebay £85 and there genuine

RS 182
Okay cheers guys,

i'll change the rear shocks and see how it goes, and i'll check all the bushes while i'm at it!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
When I bought mine one of the rear shocks was leaking and the car was just horrible to drive, pair of new shocks made the world of difference!

RS 182
Yeah it's terrifying to drive, im scared incase i dont make it round the corners! Ordered shocks anyway so i'll let you's know how it goes!

derv biege barge
Sounds like rear shocks.

I drove a familiar road about 18 months ago. Back end stepped out big time at 60mph. I checked over car and a rear shock was leaking. Changed for koni adjustables as I had eibach pro kit and been fine ever since.

RS 182
**update**

Brand new genuine Renault rear shock absorbers fitted, and has totally transformed the car! I'll be honest, at first i didn't think rear shocks could make it feel as bad as it did, but i wish i had listened to everyone from the very start!
So if your experiencing the same syptoms as i was, get rear shocks!!

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Here are the prices & part numbers for rear shocks on a 182, They are not that expensive.

rear shocks - 8200681128 - £44.05
cup / cup packed rear shocks - 8200681125 - £44.05

What's the difference in the cup packed ones, just height and presumably stiffer dampening?

And I assume they're universal fit (the shocks in general - I'm on non-cup/non-cup-packed but)